Things Baseball Need to Fix

Birds08

There is a really easy way to make the division series a 7 game series and still end the World Series a whole lot earlier...

Schedule doubleheaders in season.

Even just 6 double headers (1/ month) over the course of the season coupled with a tighter playoff schedule would make a huge difference. Many people would tell you that this would reduce income and there is no way owners would go for it.

I say that the likelihood of these doubleheaders selling out would be much higher, thereby helping small market teams struggling for gate numbers. The added benefit is that in most instances it would only hurt large market teams that normally would have been sold out thereby creating slightly more income parity.

There is a really easy way to make the division series a 7 game series and still end the World Series a whole lot earlier...

Schedule doubleheaders in season.

Even just 6 double headers (1/ month) over the course of the season coupled with a tighter playoff schedule would make a huge difference. Many people would tell you that this would reduce income and there is no way owners would go for it.

I say that the likelihood of these doubleheaders selling out would be much higher, thereby helping small market teams struggling for gate numbers. The added benefit is that in most instances it would only hurt large market teams that normally would have been sold out thereby creating slightly more income parity.

I have to think any scheduled doubleheaders would be day/night, separate admission. Even if you're only drawing 20k fans a game, and assuming $25 a head in revenues, each single-admission doubleheader means you're giving up revenues greater than a minimum-salaried player.

I want to see a draft for foreign players. I'm tired of having no shot at signing the best international players.

No shot? I thought the Pirates and the Reds were among the most active players in the international market. Chapman cost $30M, or about $15M less than the Dodgers spent on Juan Pierre. Or about what Matt Holliday makes in a season and a half. Sano cost a similar amount to Garrett Atkins. You could get five or six fairly highly-regarded Dominican or Venezulean kids for the cost of Danys Baez' last season as a Oriole.

The Orioles choose to not allocate more resources to international players and scouting. This is a place where the O's could and should be keeping pace with other teams, and if a draft is enacted many of the potential advantages and incentives go away.

For the record I do not believe that small market teams can't pick and sign the best player available, I believe that some times they choose not to. Huge difference there.

So you think the Royals could have signed Strasburg and Harper in back-to-back years without crippling their team (money-wise)?

I don't.

So you think the Royals could have signed Strasburg and Harper in back-to-back years without crippling their team (money-wise)?

I don't.

You mean the same Royals that committed $9M to Kyle Farnsworth, $3.25M to Rick Ankiel, $2M for Scott Podsednik, $36M for Jose Guillen, $50M for Gil Meche... Strasburg and Harper cost what, $30M total?

I don't think it would be Strasburg and Harper crippling them. The Royals could literally have had the same production for $3M that they paid $100M for.

You mean the same Royals that committed $9M to Kyle Farnsworth, $3.25M to Rick Ankiel, $2M for Scott Podsednik, $36M for Jose Guillen, $50M for Gil Meche... Strasburg and Harper cost what, $30M total?

I don't think it would be Strasburg and Harper crippling them. The Royals could literally have had the same production for $3M that they paid $100M for.

Ok, I see your point. Also, I did not have my facts straight. I checked Cots and saw that I was SERIOUSLY wrong about the amount of money each player was making per year. :o

I should have looked before I started talking.

Archived