Roch: O's interested in Nakajima

ChaosLex

A few readers asked about the Orioles' potential interest in Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima, 28, who could be posted, as they say, by the Seibu Lions.

Here's what I know:

The Orioles have interest in him, enough that John Stockstill returned to Japan to take another look at him. They've scouted him multiple times, along with a lot of other teams.

I don't know how much the Orioles are willing to offer him. The Orioles really don't know until the market is set. But he's got their attention.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/10/orioles-are-interested-in-nakajima.html

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until the market is set?

For a posting system, you have no idea what anybody else offers so how can you know when the market is set?

You give the Lions your best offer and see if it gets him.

The Mariners have also shown interest and I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres show interest as well.

IIRC players are posted in November, so they usually are off the board sooner than free agents as well so you won't know what the FA SS's are getting either.

There ya go, folks, Buck Showalter is not perfect. He's pro-Izturis, he likes the guy, and wouldn't mind the Orioles bringing him back. I have to say I'm highly disappointed in reading that, and I can only hope that is not how things turn out.

Do you really think Buck is the one telling them to hold off on this? I seriously doubt that.

Until the market is set?

For a posting system, you have no idea what anybody else offers so how can you know when the market is set?

The Mariners have also shown interest and I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres show interest as well.

IIRC players are posted in November, so they usually are off the board sooner than free agents as well so you won't know what the FA SS's are getting either.

Why no comment on this part?

Manager Buck Showalter's interest in re-signing Cesar Izturis is a bigger consideration. As I've written, Showalter kept raving about Izturis' defense and intangibles over the last two months. If he pushes hard for the Orioles to retain Izturis, there's less reason to pursue Nakajima.

Showalter is pro-Izturis, so the guess here is he'll want the Orioles to re-sign the veteran shortstop.

Until the market is set?

There was some chatter when Dice-K was posted. Probably can get a gauge based on what other GM's say. There is some BS to sift through, but I bet they have some data to base their plan.

It would be great to have a SS or maybe another RP before even worrying about FA's and losing draft picks (and deciding on Izturis).

.300 hitter in Japan with 20 homer power...so how's that translate to the majors?

http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/en/player.php?id=hnakajima

Probably not as good, but still better than Izturis. How is his glove - that is something that won't get lost in translation. If we can get something similar to Izzy's glove but a .270-.280 bat with 13-20 HR power, I will take it.

Is Izturis' defense really that great? I see he has a dWAR of 0.6 on BBR.com. Is that any good? in 2009 he had a 1.1 so he regressed since last year.

I like the idea of going after the Japanese SS, though. Hopefully the O's make a serious run after him. Maybe they can resign Koji and use him to get Nakajima.

Is Izturis' defense really that great? I see he has a dWAR of 0.6 on BBR.com. Is that any good? in 2009 he had a 1.1 so he regressed since last year.

I like the idea of going after the Japanese SS, though. Hopefully the O's make a serious run after him. Maybe they can resign Koji and use him to get Nakajima.

I think Izturis is a good shortstop, but his awful bat far outweighs his defense.

I agree with the others on here about this. Izturis is an easy solution. They will take the easy way on this, no matter how much it's wrong.

Nakajima is not a free agent so he doesn't have a choice other than to negotiate with the MLB team that wins the posting bid with his current team. While I'd like to resign Koji, having Koji locked up does not really affect the bidding process with the Lions.

I could see the reverse having an impact though. If the Os won the bid and successfully negotiated with Nakajima, Koji may see the Orioles as more appealing.

Eh, I'm not concerned about the whole "When the market is set" comment. If AM and Co. have an idea of how much they want to spend, I wouldn't expect them to tell Roch at this point.

If this guy's competitive advantage is his glove + decent HR power, why would he want to go to a home park like Safeco or Petco where HRs are harder to come by? He'd have much more value in a smaller park like Camden Yards.

Does having Koji make it easier to sign Nakajima? Does getting Nakajima make it easier to re-sign Koji?

Archived