Jim Callis comments on the O's lack of prospects in the league top 20's

Frobby

I see what you are going with, but the issue is that none of those players other than Matusz would even be good enough to be on any of those mlb rosters.

They would count towards the other teams prospect rankings, but they don't count for us because he needed them early but Jesus Montereo, Wade Davis, Desmond Jennings ext... would be our starting on our team by May.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope Mahoney has thicker skin than you do.

Yes, that would be good if Mahoney does have thick skin or maybe uses it a motivation. But young players often don't have thick skin.

I am not saying that Mahoney will be a great player and Callis is reading him wrong. I just don't like that he should take a young man that has a good year and implies that he is not that good a player. The proof is in the results. This year, next year, the year after. Good or bad. Not reason to take a good year and tear the player down for it.

Yes, that would be good if Mahoney does have thick skin or maybe uses it a motivation. But young players often don't have thick skin.

I am not saying that Mahoney will be a great player and Callis is reading him wrong. I just don't like that he should take a young man that has a good year and implies that he is not that good a player. The proof is in the results. This year, next year, the year after. Good or bad. Not reason to take a good year and tear the player down for it.

It's not that he's not saying he's a good player, but you have to take into context the level of players he's looking at/talking about. People ask these guys 100x a day about random prospects from their favorite teams, thinking that they equate on the national level, and most often, they don't. When Callis is answering the question he's thinking nationally against the top prospects from every team, because that is the pool he studies. Just like here when we ask about a prospect we are comparing just to our prospects so it's something to talk about. If you look at the broader picture, say against every team's top 10 players, which is what, 300 top players in the minors? He doesn't get on that list. I'm not even sure I put him in the Orioles top 10 list. The sad thing is, he's just among the best that we have, it just shows how little we do have.

Callis said nothing wrong at all. Big Joe will have to follow up this season with a strong 2011 in order to be viewed has a legit prospect. But in saying this it is not a knock on Joe at all, he did what he needed to do. That is all he can control.

The guy from BP made commits that are worse IMO. He made flip judgements and cited inaccurate information. Guys making a living in the business should be better than that Imo.

I don't know why you are reacting so strongly to this. Comments like this are made about players who had good stats all the time. What did Callis say?

"He had a nice year, but I don't think scouts are projecting him as a .300 hitter with plus power, like he did this year. He hit 18 home runs, which is a nice year, but you don't see him as guy that will hit 25 in the Majors. He is not a top prospect."

Geez, that should be the worst thing Mahoney ever hears. I don't see how that amounts to "tear[ing] the player down." Is he supposed to say that Mahoney is a top prospect, if that isn't what he believes?

Callis said nothing wrong at all. Big Joe will have to follow up this season with a strong 2011 in order to be viewed has a legit prospect. But in saying this it is not a knock on Joe at all, he did what he needed to do. That is all he can control.

The guy from BP made commits that are worse IMO. He made flip judgements and cited inaccurate information. Guys making a living in the business should be better than that Imo.

What inaccurate information did he cite? I do agree that this comment was more offensive, but still no reason to take upset about it.

I wonder how much backsliding there will be in everyone's personal Top 30s now that Callis has stated Mahoney isn't necessarily a top prospect. I remember a good number of people had him in their Top 10 -- some maybe in their Top 5.

I figure it'll be 50/50 with some people discounting Callis completely and some people readjusting. I expect to see Hoes and Avery in just about everyone's top 10 (I had them in mine last year, but I think I was being optimistic at the time.)

I don't know why you are reacting so strongly to this. Comments like this are made about players who had good stats all the time. What did Callis say?

Geez, that should be the worst thing Mahoney ever hears. I don't see how that amounts to "tear[ing] the player down." Is he supposed to say that Mahoney is a top prospect, if that isn't what he believes?

Look maybe I am making too much of this but I didn't like what Callis said.

You are performing at a high level at work. Your boss tells you that you are doing great and gives to the employee of the year award. You are in the top 3 or 4 guys in your industry for your category of work.

Then this highly respected outsider comes in a tells you that you are really not that great. He could have said I would like to see you maintain this level before he can rank you high in the industry. But he didn't, instead he just says your numbers don't count, you are not that good.

If that happen to me, I would not be happy with that guy. I am not happy with what Callis said. He could of just said he needed to see more before ranking him high.

You are performing at a high level at work. Your boss tells you that you are doing great and gives to the employee of the year award. You are in the top 3 or 4 guys in your industry for your category of work.

Then this highly respected outsider comes in a tells you that you are really not that great. He could have said I would like to see you maintain this level before he can rank you high in the industry. But he didn't, instead he just says your numbers don't count, you are not that good.

If that happen to me, I would not be happy with that guy. I am not happy with what Callis said. He could of just said he needed to see more before ranking him high.

Are you suggesting mahoney is a top 5 first base prospect?

One concept that muddies prospect discussion on this board is that production does not equate to prospect status. It's natural that most people don't get to see MiL players perform, let alone multiple players from different teams perform a dozen times over a single season. Stat analysis is heavily weighed upon for the sake of discussing the progress or lake thereof with regards to O's prospects. As a result, I think a lot of people tend to get hung up on the stats a LITTLE more than they should. That doesn't mean stats are meaningless, but it does mean that being among the best producers in a MiL season doesn't necessarily mean much when you are talking about projecting Major League success. How you do it matters (mechanics, etc.) and all of the facts surrounding your production (age, league, etc.) matter, as well.

I would still have Mahoney right around #10. In our system, I think that's still a fair spot for him. In fact, it will be interesting to see where BA puts him or who they have in front of him. Remember, BA is not infallible either. Tyler Townsend, admittedly after a terrible debut, wasn't even on their top 30 list last year. Think he won't be in the top 15 this year?

Who knows if he'll be in the Top 15. I probably wouldn't have him in the Top 15 of a strong MiL system, but there are a lot of unknowns with BAL prospects. Depending on what you are looking for, you could put together drastically different Top 30 lists.

I didn't see a quote like that. You are being way to sensitive to this. Like I said, Cory Keylor was the Orioles' minor league player of the year in 2006, was traded to Boston in ST 2007 and was out of baseball after 2007. I am not saying Mahoney will follow this path but the Player of the Year award isn't as big of an honor as you make it out to be.

I would love to see Mahoney succeed, but this was his first year with these types of results and still tailored off in August/September.

And Mahoney does have thick skin, as he knew this was a make or break year for him and he knows next year is an even bigger year after what he did this year.

No I am says that his OPS ranks him in the top 3 or 4 prospect in the Eastern League. 922 for the time he was there. 864 if you look at the whole year. There are only 3 or 4 guys ahead on him. There are few guys with better numbers in the Eastern league that are too old to be prospects.

No I am says that his OPS ranks him in the top 3 or 4 prospect in the Eastern League. 922 for the time he was there. 864 if you look at the whole year. There are only 3 or 4 guys ahead on him. There are few guys with better numbers in the Eastern league that are too old to be prospects.

So what? Its a small sample size first of all..And secondly, there is a lot more to scouting a player than what his OPS was for a few months.

Lou M won the AA triple crown..Was that indicative of his true talent?

Archived