Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

The difference between the SEC and the MWC/Whoever is that the SEC proves it on the field. Four straight national champions.

A BCS National Championship that is the equivalent of the Million Dollar man's million dollar belt. Only those who have enough money can play. Look, I'm not saying the SEC isn't good, all I am saying is national championships should be decided via a playoff. Okay, you are obviously an SEC guy, In 2004 when Auburn went 12-0 but didn't at least win the AP "national championship" was that fair? Auburn placed third in the popularity contest with USC and Oklahoma despite winning the toughest division in college football. That's why we need a playoff.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with this. If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man. It doesn't work the other way around. The onus is on the Boise's of the world to go on the road (like Penn St. and Florida St. used to do) and prove that you're a force. Teams like Bama and LSU prove their worth with games against teams like Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama, Arkansas etc.

And I think bowl season is a perfect time to do that. Screw these conference tie-ins that put too many 7-5 or 6-6 teams in what should be good games. Pick Boise to play in a bowl against one of the better teams from the SEC or Big 10 or Big 12....and let's start settling this once and for all. Based on their two Fiesta Bowl appearances Boise St fans seem to travel very well, so ticket sales for the bowl committees shouldn't be an issue. And casual fans of college football will want to watch just to see if they are for real, so the TV ratings should be there as well.

I know, I know, Ric Flair did say that, but great champions like Flair took on all challengers. Boise State has beaten Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, and VT in the past few years. I can't buy that Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii are can't stay with some of the programs in the power conferences when they don't really play. The SEC guys "say" they are the best out there and the WAC/MWC guys "say" we are just as good. I say show me. You remember the 92' Sugar Bowl when Alabama play Miami?

What exactly are we remembering?

What exactly are we remembering?

You remember the swagger the Miami players had before the game? Check out some of the interviews ESPN had with some of the Miami players. Everyone was ready to crown Miami national champion before they even played a down, but Alabama completely dominated Miami in that game. I understand that most SEC fans have a swagger about their league, but the truth is there is more parody this year.

You remember the swagger the Miami players had before the game? Check out some of the interviews ESPN had with some of the Miami players. Everyone was ready to crown Miami national champion before they even played a down, but Alabama completely dominated Miami in that game. I understand that most SEC fans have a swagger about their league, but the truth is there is more parody this year.

I gotcha. I misread what you were saying and thought you were arguing the opposite. So I agree :P

And not to be That Guy, but as appropriate as that word is for what college football has become, I believe you mean "parity" :)

I gotcha. I misread what you were saying and thought you were arguing the opposite. So I agree :P

And not to be That Guy, but as appropriate as that word is for what college football has become, I believe you mean "parity" :)

My mistake, I've had a few too many beers today if you know what I mean ;)

A BCS National Championship that is the equivalent of the Million Dollar man's million dollar belt. Only those who have enough money can play. Look, I'm not saying the SEC isn't good, all I am saying is national championships should be decided via a playoff. Okay, you are obviously an SEC guy, In 2004 when Auburn went 12-0 but didn't at least win the AP "national championship" was that fair? Auburn placed third in the popularity contest with USC and Oklahoma despite winning the toughest division in college football. That's why we need a playoff.

Great analogy. I agree that the NC should be decided with a playoff. My only problem is determining how many teams get in. I think the 16 team format is way over-inclusive. Some years, the BCS formula is exactly what you need. Perhaps this is one of those years. Some year, a four team playoff would be great, or a 6, or an 8.

Great analogy. I agree that the NC should be decided with a playoff. My only problem is determining how many teams get in. I think the 16 team format is way over-inclusive. Some years, the BCS formula is exactly what you need. Perhaps this is one of those years. Some year, a four team playoff would be great, or a 6, or an 8.

Agreed. 16 would be too much. Keeping it simple, I'll take the four team playoff.

Maybe a Boise State and TCU wouldn't both make it, but at least one would get a shot to prove it on the field. It also serves as a buffer against those who play a weak schedule (BYU 84'). You would have to at least play two worthwhile games if you want to be NC. It also can keep a 1 loss power conference school in the discussion.

Archived