Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

What a load of bull****. I can see it now, the Ducks run the table and get shut out of the BCS CG. I guess all they have to play for now is the AP Championship. The west coast anti-bias is alive and well....except now it just lives in computers somewhere, like a virus. I thought this sort of thing only happened to the non-AQ teams. :rolleyes:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a load of bull****. I can see it now' date=' the Ducks run the table and get shut out of the BCS CG. I guess all they have to play for now is the AP Championship. The west coast anti-bias is alive and well....except now it just lives in computers somewhere, like a virus. I thought this sort of thing only happened to the non-AQ teams. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Wow, are you serious? The computers take strength of schedule into account. Who has Oregon played besides Stanford? Auburn has wins over 4 Top 25 teams. Let's compare schedules:

Auburn:

Ark. St. (3-5)

Miss. St. (#21) (6-2)

Clemson (4-3)

South Carolina (#20) (5-2)

UL-Monroe (3-4)

Kentucky (4-4)

Arkansas (#19) (5-2)

LSU (#12) (7-1)

Oregon:

New Mexico (0-7)

Tennessee (2-5)

Portland St. (2-5)

Arizona St. (3-4)

Stanford (#13) (6-1)

Washington St. (1-7)

UCLA (3-4)

Oregon has played one team with at least a .500 record. Auburn has played 6. I'd like to know why Oregon should be ranked ahead of Auburn in the polls. Is it because they started out higher? That's the only reason they are ranked higher. I'm tired of hearing about the SEC being overrated. If anything they are underrated.

What is more, is that Oregon isn't moving down. They are comfortably in 2nd place, and play a tougher schedule going forward than Boise or TCU. If Oregon keeps winning they will certainly play for a national championship.

Wow, are you serious? The computers take strength of schedule into account. Who has Oregon played besides Stanford? Auburn has wins over 4 Top 25 teams. Let's compare schedules:

Auburn:

Ark. St. (3-5)

Miss. St. (#21) (6-2)

Clemson (4-3)

South Carolina (#20) (5-2)

UL-Monroe (3-4)

Kentucky (4-4)

Arkansas (#19) (5-2)

LSU (#12) (7-1)

Oregon:

New Mexico (0-7)

Tennessee (2-5)

Portland St. (2-5)

Arizona St. (3-4)

Stanford (#13) (6-1)

Washington St. (1-7)

UCLA (3-4)

Oregon has played one team with at least a .500 record. Auburn has played 6. I'd like to know why Oregon should be ranked ahead of Auburn in the polls. Is it because they started out higher? That's the only reason they are ranked higher. I'm tired of hearing about the SEC being overrated. If anything they are underrated.

Look closer at the computers. One of them has Oregon at #11, another at #10. Are you seriously going to tell me with a straight face that Oregon is no better than the #10 or 11 team in the country? Seriously??? That is totally bogus, and it will keep Oregon on the outside looking in, right next to Boise and TCU.

Look closer at the computers. One of them has Oregon at #11' date=' another at #10. Are you seriously going to tell me with a straight face that Oregon is no better than the #10 or 11 team in the country? Seriously??? That is totally bogus, and it will keep Oregon on the outside looking in, right next to Boise and TCU.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree that some of the computer rankings are bogus. BUT, and this is the big thing, is that Oregon hasn't played anyone YET. They are about to start playing some tough games (USC, Arizona, Oregon St.) and that will raise their computer rankings. They have nowhere to go but up in the computers, while teams like Mizzou and Michigan St. (who will both lose) are as high as they are going to be in the computers.

What this means, from what I can tell, is that Oregon's computer rankings will go up, and when that happens they will easily stay in 2nd, or maybe even 1st.

Basically, if Auburn and Oregon stay unbeaten they will play for the NC. Here's hoping we do too.:beerchug1:

Yeah, I agree that some of the computer rankings are bogus. BUT, and this is the big thing, is that Oregon hasn't played anyone YET. They are about to start playing some tough games (USC, Arizona, Oregon St.) and that will raise their computer rankings. They have nowhere to go but up in the computers, while teams like Mizzou and Michigan St. (who will both lose) are as high as they are going to be in the computers.

What this means, from what I can tell, is that Oregon's computer rankings will go up, and when that happens they will easily stay in 2nd, or maybe even 1st.

Basically, if Auburn and Oregon stay unbeaten they will play for the NC. Here's hoping we do too.:beerchug1:

I don't know about that. The Pac-10 is doing a good job of beating up on each other right now. It's a strong conference this year, but only Oregon really stands out. The only remaining ranked opponent on their schedule is Arizona. Even if the Ducks win them all, the computers will devalue their opponents because the 2nd tier of teams in the conference (Stanford, USC, Arizona, Oregon St) are pretty much even and each could have 3 losses in conference, and when all is said and done none of them may be ranked in the Top 25. Then the Ducks will start getting jumped by the 1-loss teams. I will say that even though these things are arranged years in advance, Oregon picked the wrong year to play a crappy non-conference schedule. Could you maybe tell some of your SEC brethren to ease up on Tennessee a bit? That might help. :(

I don't know about that. The Pac-10 is doing a good job of beating up on each other right now. It's a strong conference this year' date=' but only Oregon really stands out. The only remaining ranked opponent on their schedule is Arizona. Even if the Ducks win them all, the computers will devalue their opponents because the 2nd tier of teams in the conference (Stanford, USC, Arizona, Oregon St) are pretty much even and each could have 3 losses in conference, and when all is said and done none of them may be ranked in the Top 25. Then the Ducks will start getting jumped by the 1-loss teams. I will say that even though these things are arranged years in advance, Oregon picked the wrong year to play a crappy non-conference schedule. Could you maybe tell some of your SEC brethren to ease up on Tennessee a bit? That might help. :([/quote']

Nah, there is no way Oregon falls below 2. Even if Wash. St. beats Stanford, it won't affect much because you beat both. Just actually getting some quality opponents on the schedule will lift Oregon in the computers.

No can do with the Vols. The only team I'd enjoy seeing winless in the SEC more than Tennessee is Alabama.

What a load of bull****. I can see it now' date=' the Ducks run the table and get shut out of the BCS CG. I guess all they have to play for now is the AP Championship. [b']The west coast anti-bias is alive and well.[/b]...except now it just lives in computers somewhere, like a virus. I thought this sort of thing only happened to the non-AQ teams. :rolleyes:

I can see why you're upset, but how can a computer be biased? Unless that was tongue in cheek?

I can see why you're upset, but how can a computer be biased? Unless that was tongue in cheek?

It was somewhat tongue in cheek. But how can you take a computer ranking seriously that has Oregon at #10 or 11, which 2 of the computer rankings do? I know they haven't played many good teams, but I thought a computer would at least take into account how they've pretty much annihilated anything that gets in front of them.

But I know it's not the computer....it's the mouth-breathing tub of goo living in his mom's basement who programmed the computer, some nerd who wouldn't know a football if it landed in his "groin."

I'm not a fan of the BCS either, but lets wait until the regular season is over before we stomp and yell about how they got it wrong.

You are asking for rationalization from a board who thinks the Ravens have lost a game with 20:00 minutes left and the Orioles have lost the game when they are losing 2-0 in the 2nd inning? :laughlol:

If there was a playoff we would know the answer, either way...

Maybe, but his point remains the same. Boise doesn't deserve it b/c they are not tested every week in the same way that schools with real schedules are. The schools that Boise plays for 10 games are the schools that SEC schools schedule to guarantee a win. Boise might could beat a Top 10 team any given week, but the real test is when you have to play a quality team every week and survive with a 12-0 or 11-1 record.

Where is the outrage for Jacksonville State? They get one tough game against Ole Miss and win it. But, nobody lets the poor 1-AA school compete for the BCS title.

Archived