Ok, Now They're Just Screwing With Boise, Right?

BaltimoreTerp

You will probably know more about this than me, but I read somewhere that they were complaining that Alabama wouldn't play them, but someone from Bama (maybe AD) said they were never contacted by Boise.

I think I heard that too, but it was in the context of a lot of big powers not playing them. Personally, I'd love to play Boise.

I have read somewhere that they've been searching for a 2011 opponent and that no one will play them (prob b/c they are demanding a guarantee of $1M). Alabama is already playing Penn State on the road in 2011 so that's a no go.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I heard that too, but it was in the context of a lot of big powers not playing them. Personally, I'd love to play Boise.

I have read somewhere that they've been searching for a 2011 opponent and that no one will play them (prob b/c they are demanding a guarantee of $1M). Alabama is already playing Penn State on the road in 2011 so that's a no go.

Same here, I'd love for Boise to come to Auburn. But, I could certainly understand why nobody would be willing to go to Boise.

I think they are searching for a 2011 game b/c they are moving to the MWC and they already had Wyoming (MWC member) scheduled as an OOC game.

Now that Boise and TCU have gotten so much national play, they have become a good risk as opponents for bigger schools. When the small schools are marginalized and overlooked, there's no reason to play against them. Now that their true talent is probably overrated in the polls and thus computers, beating them becomes an easier way to get a boost in the rankings. But of course, what everything ultimately comes down to is that the system is crap.

But of course, what everything ultimately comes down to is that the system is crap.

I think we would all agree there. I think a 16 team playoff is way too many ( I would prefer 4 or 6), but if we had one, here is what it would look like right now, with every conference represented:

1. Auburn v. 16. Troy

8. Utah v. 9. Oklahoma

4. TCU v. 13. East Carolina

5. Michigan St. v. 12. Florida State

3. Boise State v. 14. Northern Illinois

6. Missouri v. 11. Ohio State

7. Alabama v. 10. Wisconsin

2. Oregon v. 15. Pittsburgh

It sure would be exciting.

I think we would all agree there. I think a 16 team playoff is way too many ( I would prefer 4 or 6), but if we had one, here is what it would look like right now, with every conference represented:

1. Auburn v. 16. Troy

8. Utah v. 9. Oklahoma

Yeah, this would be great. I think the system that will one day be put in place will somehow incorporate a couple of first round byes, in order to protect against the complaints that a playoff system would allow a few teams to mail it in at the end of the season. To me, representing every conference is key, but that would be easier to do if there were 10 conferences instead of 11. It becomes even more difficult to defend if a 12th conference crops up down the line.

1. Auburn v. 16. Troy

8. Utah v. 9. Oklahoma

My problem with a playoff is that it is a logistical pain in the butt. Just dealing with W&M in the FCS playoffs last year was ridiculous. Had they made the Championship game, they would have played in Chattanooga and I would have gone. But you don't find out if that is going to happen until one or two weeks before the game. Then you have to find tickets, a hotel room, and probably a flight. You can book early, banking on them to make it, but a lot of times hotels are booked by the other teams' fans in the playoffs or are nonrefundable. Flights are also mostly nonrefundable. The school wouldn't even put tickets on sale until they knew we were going to make it (we didn't). I can't imagine the mess that would be caused by the much larger, more rabid fanbases of FBS schools.

My problem with a playoff is that it is a logistical pain in the butt. Just dealing with W&M in the FCS playoffs last year was ridiculous. Had they made the Championship game, they would have played in Chattanooga and I would have gone. But you don't find out if that is going to happen until one or two weeks before the game. Then you have to find tickets, a hotel room, and probably a flight. You can book early, banking on them to make it, but a lot of times hotels are booked by the other teams' fans in the playoffs or are nonrefundable. Flights are also mostly nonrefundable. The school wouldn't even put tickets on sale until they knew we were going to make it (we didn't). I can't imagine the mess that would be caused by the much larger, more rabid fanbases of FBS schools.

Fans of NFL teams manage it for the Super Bowl.

Heh, I wish we had the W to go along with it.

I think it would be cool if the IAA champion could somehow match up against a team in a bowl, say against the ACC champ.

Yeah, that or the Big East champ. Good shot of winning.

W&M actually plays UNC this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Yeah, that was definitely an abnormal thing. Duke had the option to play the game in a larger stadium though, but declined. I don't think Alabama expected that. Duke has a history of selling its homegames for cash.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/09/15/1268625/alabama-football-durham-all-abuzz.html

Plus, playing Duke is not like playing Boise. It's like us paying $900K or $1M to San Jose State to come in and take a beating. Big boys will pay for a guaranteed win, but no one is going to pay that to a team that has the chance of knocking you off. If Boise State wants to be treated like a big boy, come in and play and drop the financial demands of the creampuffs.

You can also make the point (a valid one) that travelling from Tuscaloosa to Durham to play in a small stadium is much less costly than travelling from Tuscaloosa to Boise and playing in a small stadium. Of course you can also make the point (again, a valid one) that leaving Durham with a victory is a near guarantee, while leaving Boise with one is far less certain.

A lot of that will depend on what happens with the whole MWC/WAC realignment. If Nevada and Fresno are able to move to the MWC next season with Boise, the Bronco's schedule will be full. If not, they will actually need to schedule two opponents for next season.

You can also make the point (a valid one) that travelling from Tuscaloosa to Durham to play in a small stadium is much less costly than travelling from Tuscaloosa to Boise and playing in a small stadium. Of course you can also make the point (again' date=' a valid one) that leaving Durham with a victory is a near guarantee, while leaving Boise with one is far less certain.[/b']

Which is why I related that to paying a team like San Jose state $1M to come play a big program, but refusing to do that for Boise. The big programs are willing to pay big or take a financial hit for a guaranteed win, but aren't going to pay that for a team that has a legitimate shot at beating them.

Right now Boise wants to get the benefit of boosting their credibility by playing the big programs AND getting paid like a creampuff. They can't have it both ways.

Which is why I related that to paying a team like San Jose state $1M to come play a big program, but refusing to do that for Boise. The big programs are willing to pay big or take a financial hit for a guaranteed win, but aren't going to pay that for a team that has a legitimate shot at beating them.

Right now Boise wants to get the benefit of boosting their credibility by playing the big programs AND getting paid like a creampuff. They can't have it both ways.

Thing is, Boise State has bills to pay just like the creampuffs do, so I understand why they want the same payout to travel across the country to play a big program with no return game. And since so few big schools will come to their place, that becomes their only option to get the revenues they need to survive while playing a respectable enough schedule to be taken seriously. But I also understand why the big programs are hesitant to agree to that. Boise is in a bit conundrum. Although they didn't exactly help themselves by going to the MWC, who has a worse TV deal than the WAC despite being a better football conference. I'm sure they were hoping for an automatic BCS bid eventually, but with BYU leaving that becomes less likely. And the Boise-FSU comparison mentioned earlier isn't exactly apples to apples. The landscape of college football was much different 30 years ago.

Since it may seem like I'm arguing just to be argumentative (which happens often enough around here) you and waroriole are making some very good points. I may not agree completely with them, but they are valid.

However, what it all comes down to is whether or not Boise is on the same level as these other schools. Considering they are all "Division I-Football Bowl Subdivision" schools and therefore supposed to be on the same level, anything that puts them on a different level is simply wrong.

Since it may seem like I'm arguing just to be argumentative (which happens often enough around here) you and waroriole are making some very good points. I may not agree completely with them, but they are valid.

However, what it all comes down to is whether or not Boise is on the same level as these other schools. Considering they are all "Division I-Football Bowl Subdivision" schools and therefore supposed to be on the same level, anything that puts them on a different level is simply wrong.

I agree that the system sucks. I haven't said otherwise. But it is the system we have now and under that system Boise is not deserving of playing in the NCG over an undefeated team from an AQ conference and a few one-loss teams from some of those conferences. Sucks for them, but it is what it is.

Archived