Holy Crap I Just Had a Nightmarish Flashback to Jeffrey Maier

Hank Scorpio

Okay, so the announcers are saying that the call on the Cano homerun was not reviewable. Simply because the umpire thought the ball was no longer in the field of play, but rather already in the stands when the interference occurred.

So, explain to me how that is not reviewable? The umpire's opinion is irrelevant there. He was clearly incorrect.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here's a NY Times article from the day replay was instituted. It includes the quote:

Selig said the replays would be used to determine if a home run ball was fair or foul, whether the ball cleared the fence and whether a fan had interfered with it. Selig said he remained opposed to unlimited instant replay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/sports/baseball/27replay.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&ref=sports&pagewanted=print

Seems pretty clearcut to me.

Can you imagine the outrage if a fan had done that to a Yankees player? I was 9 when Maier happened. ANd I will never forget how New York celebrated him. I mean if it had just been a bad call, yeah I would bave been pissed but the way the Yankees made the kid in to a hero was even worse. The class of baseball my butt.

Archived