TiredofLosing20

Not to open old wounds but this little tidbit is interesting and something I never heard reported before. This is being reported as fact. Did I simply miss this along the way.

Remember the Mark Teixeira situation? The Orioles made a legitimate first offer to lure him back home, but were told by agent Scott Boras not to improve their $140 million proposal because Teixeira was not interested in joining their rebuilding movement.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-1023-20101023,0,449494.column

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to the rest of the article, Schmuck, as usual, has no idea what he's talking about. Why would we want to keep bidding on Tex, or Lee, to drive player's salaries to a point where only the MFY can afford them?

If we force the MFY to pay Tex 8/216, then guess who is going to command a bigger salary next year. That's right, Fielder and AGon. As usual, Schmuck makes a weak attempt to appeal to the common fan that we need to spend with the MFY and Sox. Well, we don't, and we can't. We need to take that money and invest it in the draft, international signings and scouting. Not driving up FA prices so Schmuck can be happy we "made an effort."

This was reported by alot of people. It was usually phrased as "Boras never came back to the O's to give them a chance to increase the offer." Either way, 99% of the people here know that Tex wasn't coming here. He was just using us to drive up his price.

To me, those things are totally different. Being told "don't bother increasing your offer, Tex isn't interested in being an Oriole and going through rebuilding" is a lot different from being told, "we'll get back to you" and then not hearing back from someone. In the first situation, I don't see how anyone could blame Andy for not bidding higher. In the second situation, I can understand how Andy's critics could argue that he should have been more aggressive in following up (I don't necessarily agree, but I can see the argument in that circumstance).

However, as I said, I am not confident Schmuck has this right.

To me, those things are totally different. Being told "don't bother increasing your offer, Tex isn't interested in being an Oriole and going through rebuilding" is a lot different from being told, "we'll get back to you" and then not hearing back from someone. In the first situation, I don't see how anyone could blame Andy for not bidding higher. In the second situation, I can understand how Andy's critics could argue that he should have been more aggressive in following up (I don't necessarily agree, but I can see the argument in that circumstance).

However, as I said, I am not confident Schmuck has this right.

Yeah, there are differences, but aren't the outcomes the same. If you tell them we can increase our offer, and Boras knows you will, then wouldn't he come back to you if Tex was serious about playing here. I don't see much difference between what Schmuck is reporting and a "don't call us, we'll call you" kind of scenario.

This makes no sense; you would think that Boras would want to Orioles to increase their offer, if only to drive up his client's price.

Bingo...hard to believe Boras would tell a team to stop bidding on his client..especially since Boras may need the Orioles later on for another player.

Bingo...hard to believe Boras would tell a team to stop bidding on his client..especially since Boras may need the Orioles later on for another player.

Kind of playing devil's advocate here, but this should be seen as Boras doing the O's a favor. "Tex isn't going to Baltimore, so don't bother going any further." Seems like that would create some good will between the O's and Boras, b/c Boras was honest with them and didn't play them to drive up the price.

Ehhhhhhhh, they were largely irrelevant given the big boys who were in on him. It only takes one team to drive up a price, and when Boston & New York are both involved (amongst others), who needs a patsy?

This bit of information added to a MacPhail quote after Tex signed with the Yankees about "the player ending up where he wanted to go" (I cant seem to find the link to the quote) seems to somewhat corroborate each other. That quote always led me to believe that AM knew that Tex wanted to sign with the Yankees during the negotiations.

Still it seems odd that what Schmuck is reporting here (which is very different than Boras simply didn't get back to AM) is pretty enlightening. If true this does somewhat poke holes into some posters notions as to what went on in those negotiations.

Archived