TiredofLosing20

We may have not been #1 on the list, but I have no doubt we were on the list.

Schmuck is just paraphrasing (poorly) how it was reported that the negotiations went down.

MacPhail backed away when he should have been persistant if he really wanted the player. The fact that he said that it "was too much to pay for one player" and later when he said they had no intent of going as high as the Yankees did to get him is enough to show the Orioles had no interest in Teixeira at the price it was going to take and weren't going to make an extra effort to land him. Only if he was wililng to take a discount, MacPhail would have signed him.

MacPhail wants premium talent to want to come to the Orioles, but he's going to have to recruit them, and he has shown no history of success in doing that. Showalter does however know how to recruit talent so hopefully we'll see a change in the passiveness of the Orioles offseason that has existed since AM has been in charge.

I bet if Showalter had been here in the 2008-2009 offseason, Tex would be an Oriole.

I swear, you've never once said this or anything similar before, and you've certainly never threadjacked umpteen million threads with the same rhetoric.

Oh wait, yes you have.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schmuck has just become so out of touch with reality over the last few years.

I don't know...The Orioles season is over, there's a few days before the World Series...he's probably bored and wanted to stir up some drama on the OH. He's probably sitting at his desk, laughing at us.

And what better way to stir up drama than get El Trea going about Tex?

In regards to the rest of the article, Schmuck, as usual, has no idea what he's talking about. Why would we want to keep bidding on Tex, or Lee, to drive player's salaries to a point where only the MFY can afford them?

If we force the MFY to pay Tex 8/216, then guess who is going to command a bigger salary next year. That's right, Fielder and AGon. As usual, Schmuck makes a weak attempt to appeal to the common fan that we need to spend with the MFY and Sox. Well, we don't, and we can't. We need to take that money and invest it in the draft, international signings and scouting. Not driving up FA prices so Schmuck can be happy we "made an effort."

Bluffing is a time-honored strategy in poker and business. And actually it would have been a safe bluff since MacPhail knew Tex wasn't coming here. Boras and MacP could have worked together to drive the Yankees offer higher, which would benefit both us and Tex. Even the MFY have finite resources.

I don't know...The Orioles season is over, there's a few days before the World Series...he's probably bored and wanted to stir up some drama on the OH. He's probably sitting at his desk, laughing at us.

And what better way to stir up drama than get El Trea going about Tex?

I am talking about the Cliff Lee stuff.

Since it should be obvious to anyone paying attention, that Cliff Lee is not signing with the O's, the best thing that could happen IMO, would be for him to sign with Texas. If we up the bidding we only make it more likely that he signs with the Yankees.

There is not new news here.

Tex has said that he wanted to go to NYY. Boras was supposed to get the most money he could and get him to the place he wanted to go. That is what Boras did.

The Players Union frowns on a player accepting anything but the highest bid. So Boras stopped taking bids from places (Baltimore and Washington) once he felt he was going to get the bid he wanted from the Yankees. Boras maneuvers the bidding all the time to get the highest bid from where the player wants to go.

This is really old, old stuff. And, yes if Cliff Lee wants to go to the NYY or the Texas Rangers or any other team, it will happen again.

There is not new news here.

Tex has said that he wanted to go to NYY. Boras was supposed to get the most money he could and get him to the place he wanted to go. That is what Boras did.

The Players Union frowns on a player accepting anything but the highest bid. So Boras stopped taking bids from places (Baltimore and Washington) once he felt he was going to get the bid he wanted from the Yankees. Boras maneuvers the bidding all the time to get the highest bid from where the player wants to go.

This is really old, old stuff. And, yes if Cliff Lee wants to go to the NYY or the Texas Rangers or any other team, it will happen again.

I would disagree. It is certainly the first time I have heard anyone suggest that Boras told AM to stop bidding. This is new news to me.

Since it should be obvious to anyone paying attention, that Cliff Lee is not signing with the O's, the best thing that could happen IMO, would be for him to sign with Texas. If we up the bidding we only make it more likely that he signs with the Yankees.

If I am Lee, it would take a lot of money to drag me away from Texas. With that division the Rangers could pretty much walk to the playoffs if they can keep that team together.

Don't see the Mariners and A's being a significant challenge anytime soon. There is always the Angels, but at that point it is a two team race.

That is of course the Yankees are going to make me one of the richest players in the game.

We may have not been #1 on the list, but I have no doubt we were on the list.

Schmuck is just paraphrasing (poorly) how it was reported that the negotiations went down.

MacPhail backed away when he should have been persistant if he really wanted the player. The fact that he said that it "was too much to pay for one player" and later when he said they had no intent of going as high as the Yankees did to get him is enough to show the Orioles had no interest in Teixeira at the price it was going to take and weren't going to make an extra effort to land him. Only if he was wililng to take a discount, MacPhail would have signed him.

MacPhail wants premium talent to want to come to the Orioles, but he's going to have to recruit them, and he has shown no history of success in doing that. Showalter does however know how to recruit talent so hopefully we'll see a change in the passiveness of the Orioles offseason that has existed since AM has been in charge.

I bet if Showalter had been here in the 2008-2009 offseason, Tex would be an Oriole.

You are the only person I know that could read this:

but were told by agent Scott Boras not to improve their $140 million proposal because Teixeira was not interested in joining their rebuilding movement.

And respond with this:

So now AM was wrong in how he handled it, Schmuck is poorly paraphrasing, and Tex is out and out lying by saying he wanted to be a Yankee.

The only one with real insight into all of this is you?

If I am Lee, it would take a lot of money to drag me away from Texas. With that division the Rangers could pretty much walk to the playoffs if they can keep that team together.

Don't see the Mariners and A's being a significant challenge anytime soon. There is always the Angels, but at that point it is a two team race.

That is of course the Yankees are going to make me one of the richest players in the game.

That division is a lot better than you are giving it credit for.

Here's my point. Texas has a limit as to how high the can go. The Yankees don't. If the MFY's offer 5/130 and Texas offers 5/100, then taking into account the tax situation he can accept Texas' offer without pressure from the union. If the O's drive the price up higher than that, then he has to take the Yankees offer much like CC did.

That division is a lot better than you are giving it credit for.

I'll give you that they will probably play better than this past year, but I don't see how the Mariners or A's are any real threat to the Rangers over the next couple of years unless they make gigantic moves or something rather remarkable happens.

Maybe it is better, but I don't think calling the West at best a two-team-race for the next couple of years is all that much of a stretch.

I'll give you that they will probably play better than this past year, but I don't see how the Mariners or A's are any real threat to the Rangers over the next couple of years unless they make gigantic moves or something rather remarkable happens.

Maybe it is better, but I don't think calling the West at best a two-team-race for the next couple of years is all that much of a stretch.

The Angels still have good pitching. Add Beltre and Crawford, and the are formidable.

Archived