BA: Projected 2014 O's lineup and O's top 10 prospects

Frobby

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you know his curveball and changeup were the best in the system(according to BA)? I don't see the reason NOT to try him as a starter, its a low risk/high reward situation.

Does that means his curve/CU is that good or does it mean that everyone else's in the system isn't good? Our system sucks right now, so being the best at something needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

How about BA's projected 2012 Orioles lineup? They have Machado in there at SS! That would be rather astounding.
Well, BA can't speculate on trades and FA signings so it has to be someone in the organization. I don't think they really feel he'll be the starting SS in 2012. We know it won't be Blake Davis, Pedro Florimon, or Garabez Rosa. :)
They even have Pelzer as the closer in 2012.

Interesting they have Glynn Davis as the fastest baserunner already.

I wonder if they seen Klein and Berry as relievers or starters.

It is projected 2014 lineup and not 2012.

SportsGuy has taken a postion on Klein since draft day. He won't change it know matter how much logic you throw his way. A starter is worth a lot more than a reliever. It only makes perfect sense to try Klein as a starter. Yes, he'd probably get to the majors sooner as a reliever.

By having him start, he is likely 3 years away from contributing at this level and they are risking injury. I just don't like the idea of doing that when the guy could be a dominant reliever very quickly.

Its not that i don't think the talent is there...He may very well be able to go back to starting. But its going to take a while and its not definite that it will happen and then, you have wasted a few years when he could have been up helping the Orioles.

And, on top of all of that, I don't have much confidence in the people making the decisions to scrap the idea quickly if its not working.

SportsGuy has taken a postion on Klein since draft day. He won't change it know matter how much logic you throw his way. A starter is worth a lot more than a reliever. It only makes perfect sense to try Klein as a starter. Yes, he'd probably get to the majors sooner as a reliever.

Right. I think the real question is if it makes sense to spend the third round pick on him given the risks associated with converting him to a starter. I think once you spend that early 3rd pick you have to at least give it a shot, since he doesn't really have the power stuff you'd look for in a sure-fire back-end bullpen guy.

I certainly do like him as a player, but I don't think he was necessarily the right selection for BAL given the circumstances.

2014 Lineup

Catcher Matt Wieters

First Base Joe Mahoney

Second Base L.J. Hoes

Third Base Josh Bell

Shortstop Manny Machado

Left Field Xavier Avery

Center Field Adam Jones

Right Field Nick Markakis

Designated Hitter Luke Scott

No. 1 Starter Brian Matusz

No. 2 Starter Zach Britton

No. 3 Starter Jake Arrieta

No. 4 Starter Chris Tillman

No. 5 Starter Jeremy Guthrie

Closer Wynn Pelzer

Top 10 Propspects

1. Manny Machado, ss

2. Zach Britton, lhp

3. Xavier Avery, of

4. L.J. Hoes, 2b

5. Dan Klein, rhp

6. Wynn Pelzer, rhp

7. Mychal Givens, ss

8. Ryan Adams, 2b/3b

9. Ryan Berry, rhp

10. Jonathan Schoop, ss

Best Tools

Best Hitter for Average...........Manny Machado

Best Power Hitter..................Brandon Waring

Best Strike-Zone Discipline.....Brian Conley

Fastest Baserunner...............Glynn Davis

Best Athlete........................Xavier Avery

Best Fastball.......................Zach Britton

Best Curveball.....................Dan Klein

Best Slider.........................Zach Britton

Best Changeup....................Dan Klein

Best Control.......................Ryan Berry

Best Defensive Catcher........Caleb Joseph

Best Defensive Infielder........Manny Machado

Best Infield Arm..................Billy Rowell

Best Defensive Outfielder.....Matt Angle

Best Outfield Arm...............Matt Angle

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2610869.html

The Orioles were just decimated with injuries to their 2009 crop. Coffey, Wirsch, Cowen, and Henry all missed time with injuries. When you add in Hobgood's and Tolliver's dissapointing seasons, 2009 was a very poor year for the development of our pitching prospects outside of Britton.

Add in Ohlman's dissapointing season and Givens missing a lot of time due to injury, and this season was one of the more dissapointing seasons in recent memory. Hope spring enterntal though and the 2010 early returns are very positive.

Does that means his curve/CU is that good or does it mean that everyone else's in the system isn't good? Our system sucks right now, so being the best at something needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Well, knowing that Tony got good reports on Bywater's changeup after we signed him and the fact that Henry and Bundy supposedly have above average to plus curveballs, and seeing that Klein's changeup and curve was rated better than those pitcher's pitches says a little something. Spoone HAD a plus curve, dunno what it looked like in 2010. Also Ryan Berry supposedly had an above average curve.....

Archived