Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I basically agree. I'm just reluctant to put an artificial deadline on it like end Nov/beginning of Dec. I don't care what we do in Nov or Dec. I'm more concerned with the offseason as a whole (as I'm sure everyone else is). If no free agents have signed and no trades have been made by the end of the month for the league as a whole, i'm not going to be particularly concerned because it will indicate that the market is still being established. If on the other hand, other teams have filled holes, I'll be concerned that we do not have a clear plan in place.

My hunch is this will be a slow market. Some teams may be hesitant on trading if they think they can fill a hole via free agency and free agents may be slightly slower to sign as teams try to estimate the impact of the economy on the market. No one wants to overpay. Obviously, i could be wrong and Lee, Crawford and Werth could be off the board in a week.

That's fair. I guess it isn't really a hard time frame/deadline for me either, upon reflection. More an estimation of about when I'd expect to see dominoes starting to fall. If a team has a number of moves/holes to address in an off-season, I think the general restrictions of time (both on the team, and on the people with whom the team needs to interact) force the issue sooner than later.

Why should we wait for this? Anyone can figure this out just by using common sense for most of the players out there.

Except that the Giants rushed to a deal with Renteria and the Cardinals with Lohse based on prior offseason numbers and then the market fell flat and those teams looked like idiots. There are signs this market can go either way.

Except that the Giants rushed to a deal with Renteria and the Cardinals with Lohse based on prior offseason numbers and then the market fell flat and those teams looked like idiots. There are signs this market can go either way.

Well, then you have to realize how to be smart or not. This isn't a difficult thing to figure out.

Reality is harsh when it comes to free agency. You can put on whatever song and dance you want. Hand deliver Cliff Lee the jumbo-est bushel of steamed crabs you can find, tell him Baltimore fans would never spit on anyone (though their running backs might) and take him a 24 x 72 glossy framed picture of OPACY. That's nice, but irrelevant. At the end of the day it comes down to who lays out the most money.. and that is almost always the MFY.

Oh by the way, they're always in the hunt for the World Series.

We'll be realistic players in free agency once we are perceived as having a shot at the playoffs. Unfortunately, we're always going to be challenged in that department because of where we reside.

Reality sucks.

What about this?

At what point do you say, "Well, teams with $200MM payrolls have a need for this guy, let's not waste our time."

I am not invested in what is said. If they said they were being passive I wouldn't really care. I am not going to get bent out of shape like you and dipper have today.

LOL...But yet you pointed out what the OP said.

So please, spare me the bs here. You obviously are choosing to believe what Heyman is saying here because it is something positive and that's waht you want to hear.

And bent out of shape? LOL.

That's ok..You are part of that same crowd year in and year out who find excuses for AM and the Orioles as to why things don't get done. Its cool..I just can't be that naive.

The Orioles have a certain way of doing things that has been proven, year after year, to be the quickest way to failure....Yet some of you think its ok to continue with the same path.

Personally, I feel they need to try something different so that they can stop being failures.

We just have different goals, that's all.

Ahh, here come the excuses. I knew someone would come along with some view that they probably have every year and then wonder why things don't happen.

I don't care what other teams are doing, if they are flying around, etc...That means NOTHING. Are all of those teams a group of pathetic losers for 13 straight years? Are those guys the laughing stock of the baseball world?

But that's ok...let the excuses continue to flow out. At some point, people will run out of excuses and wonder why the Orioles can never have even a winning season and then they will say, gee I guess they are doing things incorrectly.

I don't care about excuses. The O's will be judged on who they sign or don't sign. That is all that matters. I don't care if they meet them face to face ten times in November, or send them a faxed offer sheet in February. All that matters is who they get. However, I don't think that the Yankees going to see Cliff Lee now has any bearing on what the Orioles or other teams should be doing. It depends on the situation.

Please tell me, what are the first five flights the Orioles should book?

I don't care about excuses. The O's will be judged on who they sign or don't sign. That is all that matters. I don't care if they meet them face to face ten times in November, or send them a faxed offer sheet in February. All that matters is who they get. However, I don't think that the Yankees going to see Cliff Lee now has any bearing on what the Orioles or other teams should be doing. It depends on the situation.

Please tell me, what are the first five flights the Orioles should book?

There are only a few FAs worth going after.

I will say this, I would love to hear that they went to meet face to face with Beltre and CC...You know they will be offered arbitration, so there is no need to hold back on them, like they should with a guy like DLee.

CC will probably be out of their league but Beltre isn't.

He should also be on the phone all the time talking to teams about trades.(and no, I see no reason to believe he is doing this right now)

So please, spare me the bs here. You obviously are choosing to believe what Heyman is saying here because it is something positive and that's waht you want to hear.

That's ok..You are part of that same crowd year in and year out who find excuses for AM and the Orioles as to why things don't get done. Its cool..I just can't be that naive.

The Orioles have a certain way of doing things that has been proven, year after year, to be the quickest way to failure....Yet some of you think its ok to continue with the same path.

Personally, I feel they need to try something different so that they can stop being failures.

What are your goals vs my goals?

What excuses have I given?

I am critical of MacPhail when he deserves it but I am not critical when some hypothetical situation is created.

Sure, I will take his statement at face value. I don't know what his definition of aggressive is. But what reports will you believe, or are you going to dismiss any positive reports because it doesn't fit your agenda of degrading the front office? This thread is example A.

You rebel. ;)

When you're a 64 win team in the AL East, you're not an attractive destination for ***PREMIUM*** free agents no matter how proactive you are or how many flights you book. A phone call to an agent is likely just as impactful as a face to face visit, because no decisions are being made at this point anyways. Maybe you could send them flowers too, for effect.

Archived