Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

It wouldn't have told you much, because MASN, heing a separate corporation, would not have factored in to that P&L statement.

The real puzzle is how much profit MASN is generating and how much of said profit is being applied to payroll, or could potentially be.

Would have told us a whole lot more then the big fat nothing we know now.

As for MASN they get what a dollar a month from every cable subscriber in MD, VA, DC and NC right? Even discounting entirely the advertising revenue (which should be low) thats a large amount of money.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to agree with you Dip, but the O's payroll has gone down while MASN has been raking in forced subscription fees the last few years. AM was crying poor when he traded Bradford to the Rays and I do not see where a "lot" of money has been going into the draft or international facilities/signings. I know the money for those things have gone up but not enough to account for the lower payroll and the MASN revenue.

I would be fine with not spending on free agents if the O's were making a big splash elsewhere, Koji wasn't a big splash, he was more of a ripple.

I would be shocked if the O's hadn't turned a significantly higher profit last season then they did before AM got here.

First of all, I agree that we are not spending enough on free agent talent.

That said, this whole payroll issue has been discussed before. We are in the rebuilding process, so you have younger talent that is making significantly less money. The payroll will rise when Jones, Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, etc all come time for contract extensions. The payroll is low for the right reasons.

Although I'd like to see it grow now with the additions of a first, third, shortstop, and cleanup hitter! ;)

First of all, I agree that we are not spending enough on free agent talent.

That said, this whole payroll issue has been discussed before. We are in the rebuilding process, so you have younger talent that is making significantly less money. The payroll will rise when Jones, Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, etc all come time for contract extensions. The payroll is low for the right reasons.

Although I'd like to see it grow now with the additions of a first, third, shortstop, and cleanup hitter! ;)

I agree with all of that, so please explain why they went cheap on the '09 first round pick? Why they didn't even make an offer on Chapman or Iwakuma? Why they still are still stuck in first gear in latin america?

Low payroll is fine, as long as the money is going elsewhere, I have seen little proof that it is going elsewhere.

I agree with all of that, so please explain why they went cheap on the '09 first round pick? Why they didn't even make an offer on Chapman or Iwakuma? Why they still are still stuck in first gear in latin america?

Low payroll is fine, as long as the money is going elsewhere, I have seen little proof that it is going elsewhere.

True dat!

/cheapskates

Archived