Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

I see a ton of people on here wanting Dunn. I don't understand why there isn't more of a movement to get Konerko. This guy puts up great #'s every year, plays a solid 1b and will DH if you need him to. No brainer to me.

I am and always have been on the Konerko bandwagon, so long as we can get him and not have to give too many years. I could see going two years plus a club option on third year, but nothing more.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then who do we have to choose from?

Any of the free agents would at best, be the 3rd best 1B in our division. That's not saying much.

If signing one of the solid FA 1B to a 1yr deal prevents us from doing something stupid like a 5:1 player deal, than I say, sign me up. Vmart, Dunn, D. Lee... Fine by me.

Let's worry about the 2011 O's being better than the 2010 O's, before we worry about them being better than other teams.

Gonzalez shouldn't cost 5/ ...Neither Should Fielder for that matter (Although Fielder wouldn't me my choice).

If they cant get one of these guys in a 3/1 trade with Tillman being the headliner then trade for a young 1B prospect that you believe will become a version of one of those 2. Giving 4 years to V-Mart (Kevin Millar II) would be a mistake. Just because he'd be a good upgrade over what we have doesn't mean he'd be the best over the long term. Wasting money on average to good players when the Orioles need a super star is foolish. A 3-4 player deal for Gonzalez would be well worth the risk that the Orioles haven't taken on a player in more than 10 years. Plus the Orioles can likely get a extension done for less than it will cost to get one of these guys next year on the open market.

Make the 1 big move....Trade Reynolds for as the second piece. He likely wont cost much in return. Then add a guy like Hardy to play SS. That would be a good off season.

The Orioles can recover some players lost by getting extra picks by offering arb to Millwood (That Kevin won't likely accept) & Uehara.

I am and always have been on the Konerko bandwagon, so long as we can get him and not have to give too many years. I could see going two years plus a club option on third year, but nothing more.

I doubt Konerko goes anywhere but Chi-Town.... That being said I think it will take more than 2 guaranteed & that would be foolish....The Orioles need to stop adding player that are older than 33 IMO.

Then who do we have to choose from?

Any of the free agents would at best, be the 3rd best 1B in our division. That's not saying much.

If signing one of the solid FA 1B to a 1yr deal prevents us from doing something stupid like a 5:1 player deal, than I say, sign me up. Vmart, Dunn, D. Lee... Fine by me.

Let's worry about the 2011 O's being better than the 2010 O's, before we worry about them being better than other teams.

I agree that there isn't much to choose from in FA that would be an upgrade over VMart. The best way to get that coveted 1B cornerstone is via trade, but I haven't heard of many/any that are available (I suppose most everyone is for the right price). I don't have a problem with VMArt on a 3-year deal. Anything more than that, I get a little nervous. ANd it'll take at least 4 to lure him here, in my opinion.

I agree that there isn't much to choose from in FA that would be an upgrade over VMart. The best way to get that coveted 1B cornerstone is via trade, but I haven't heard of many/any that are available (I suppose most everyone is for the right price). I don't have a problem with VMArt on a 3-year deal. Anything more than that, I get a little nervous. ANd it'll take at least 4 to lure him here, in my opinion.

Gonzales won't be resigned by San Diego because of money. The same can be said for Fielder & the Brewers.

Either trade would have to include a Extension to make the loss of some of our talent digest-able. but there are 1B available that would make the Orioles new 1B in the top 2.

Gonzales won't be resigned by San Diego because of money. The same can be said for Fielder & the Brewers.

Either trade would have to include a Extension to make the loss of some of our talent digest-able. but there are 1B available that would make the Orioles new 1B in the top 2.

Certainly, a trade for Gonzalez or Fielder would have to include an extension. Especially considering what the cost would be to acquire one of them.

As I said, I'd think that nearly every player is available for the right price. But there's a fine line to where depleting the farm makes sense to acquire such player. But a trade (with a window for an extension if applicable) is what I want to see. Players on the wrong side of 30 occupying the position for longer than two or three years just doesn't makes much sense to me.

Heyman has noticed something that he feels is out of the ordinary for these clubs; Orioles are acting somewhat uncharacteristically with regards towards free agency. Bad clubs that haven't been active in free agency much in the past are doing things that are representative of clubs that typically are. I think it's good news, even though it's not really news. Even if it's just calling Victor Martinez's cellphone, apparently it's noticeably not something that the Orioles would have done before.

Certainly, a trade for Gonzalez or Fielder would have to include an extension. Especially considering what the cost would be to acquire one of them.

As I said, I'd think that nearly every player is available for the right price. But there's a fine line to where depleting the farm makes sense to acquire such player. But a trade (with a window for an extension if applicable) is what I want to see. Players on the wrong side of 30 occupying the position for longer than two or three years just doesn't makes much sense to me.

I Gonzalez could be had for something like Tillman, Pie/Bell , Hernandez, & a B type prospect or Guthrie, Tillman, & Pie/Bell.

They may want Jones & a package of Jones, Hernandez, & a Lower prospect. I( would only deal Jones if I could get Rasmus.

None of these moves depletes the Orioles minor league system. The Orioles can bring in a veteran starter to cover Tillman. They have plenty of bullpen arm candidates, & 1 or 2 lower minor leaguers wont kill us.

The fact that the Orioles have Bergy, Matusz, Arrieta, & Guthrie unless they deal him. They are likely going to add a veteran starter anyway.

It's not worth gutting the team for one guy; I don't care how good he is.

Martinez is a far better option if we can get him.He's at first this year and mite move to DH next season if Mahoney/Townsend come up. Konerko is getting up in age to the point where he could drop off badly and quick.Frankly, I wouldn't go near him.

I Gonzalez could be had for something like Tillman, Pie/Bell , Hernandez, & a B type prospect or Guthrie, Tillman, & Pie/Bell.

They may want Jones & a package of Jones, Hernandez, & a Lower prospect. I( would only deal Jones if I could get Rasmus.

None of these moves depletes the Orioles minor league system. The Orioles can bring in a veteran starter to cover Tillman. They have plenty of bullpen arm candidates, & 1 or 2 lower minor leaguers wont kill us.

The fact that the Orioles have Bergy, Matusz, Arrieta, & Guthrie unless they deal him. They are likely going to add a veteran starter anyway.

What you propose is something that I would be more than happy in seeing. That doesn't deplete the MiLB system much at all, while acquiring a GG 1B in the middle of his prime. Hole = filled. Risk = little. :clap3:

20HR, 79RBI, .302/.351/.493

Those are Martinez' numbers from last season. Granted, it was only 127 games, but his OPS has been in steady decline (outside of his 57 game, post-trade stint with Boston in 2009) since 2007. That's not something I would want out of my 1B. Especially one that will be 32 entering the 1st year of his new deal.

It's not worth gutting the team for one guy; I don't care how good he is.Martinez is a far better option if we can get him.He's at first this year and mite move to DH next season if Mahoney/Townsend come up. Konerko is getting up in age to the point where he could drop off badly and quick.Frankly, I wouldn't go near him.

I don't think anyone here is proposing gutting the team. The deals I believe will be seriously considered by the Padres wouldn't hurt our prospect depth much if any at all.

Martinez is just a good player. The Orioles have good players at several positions (Kakes, Jones, Roberts)...What we need is difference makers.

What you propose is something that I would be more than happy in seeing. That doesn't deplete the MiLB system much at all, while acquiring a GG 1B in the middle of his prime. Hole = filled. Risk = little. :clap3:

Who wouldn't want to get AGon for Tillman, Bell, Hernandez and a "B prospect?" Hell, that might be a good deal even if we don't extend him since we'll get 2 picks. But, there is no way SD trades him for that little. Would you trade AGon for that?

Also, I don't think it 's a good idea to give up 4 possible long term major leaguers and then have to sign a guy to at least a 7/150 deal (and probably more like 7/170).

Archived