Manny Machado is the #1 prospect

Tony-OH

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
High expectations for a kid with this much talent. Though he might start at Delmarva, I would not be surprised to see him at Bowie to end the season. Its really up to him. If he hits and plays decent defense he will be on the fast track.

Easy, Tiger. Let's not forget that even Nick Markakis, who is the most successful hitter we've produced in the last 10 years, spent a full year at Delmarva at age 20, and that was after he'd played a full short-season at Aberdeen at 19. Machado has 9 minor league games under his belt and will be playing next season at age 18. All I'm looking for him to do is produce an .800ish OPS at Delmarva and maybe get a late promotion to Frederick. I will be absolutely floored if anything beyond that happens.

I've heard professional scouts say that this kid could be the top prospect in all of baseball by the time that next season gets under way. My question is where does he fit with the Orioles. I have heard people say that he is a "Hanley Ramirez" type of shortstop. Very quick but also good power for a shortstop. Is he someone that we have leading off when Roberts call it quick or is he a middle of the lineup bat. I guess we have to see what numbers he puts up in the minors this year before we project where he is going to be in our lineup.

What did the BAL evaluators pass along regarding footspeed? Grade on speed?

I didn't time him to first base or ask honestly. He looked to me though to be average to slightly below average speed wise. He's definitely not going got be a base stealer.

I didn't time him to first base or ask honestly. He looked to me though to be average to slightly below average speed wise. He's definitely not going got be a base stealer.

That jives with everything I saw leading up to the draft. Just wanted to hear it from you that all indications are this is not an above-average speed guy. Thanks.

Easy, Tiger. Let's not forget that even Nick Markakis, who is the most successful hitter we've produced in the last 10 years, spent a full year at Delmarva at age 20, and that was after he'd played a full short-season at Aberdeen at 19. Machado has 9 minor league games under his belt and will be playing next season at age 18. All I'm looking for him to do is produce an .800ish OPS at Delmarva and maybe get a late promotion to Frederick. I will be absolutely floored if anything beyond that happens.

My comment was the I would not be surprised to see he end the year at Bowie.

Here is another SS that did something similar. I am not saying he will, just that he may have the potential to....

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Alex-Rodriguez.shtml

I've heard professional scouts say that this kid could be the top prospect in all of baseball by the time that next season gets under way. My question is where does he fit with the Orioles. I have heard people say that he is a "Hanley Ramirez" type of shortstop. Very quick but also good power for a shortstop. Is he someone that we have leading off when Roberts call it quick or is he a middle of the lineup bat. I guess we have to see what numbers he puts up in the minors this year before we project where he is going to be in our lineup.

I didn't see anything that would suggest that Machado is speedy like Ramirez, He's 6-foot-3 and already average speed at best. As he fills out I would expect him to lose a little speed and could possibly end up a below-average runner. He does however have the bat speed that suggests he's going to have power.

My comment was the I would not be surprised to see he end the year at Bowie.

And my comment was that I will be absolutely floored if that happens. I am not going to put A-Rod expectations (or even hopes) on this kid. A-Rod is a once in a generation player.

I didn't see anything that would suggest that Machado is speedy like Ramirez, He's 6-foot-3 and already average speed at best. As he fills out I would expect him to lose a little speed and could possibly end up a below-average runner. He does however have the bat speed that suggests he's going to have power.

In fairness, if his bat ends up close to Hanley's, and he sticks at SS, it won't matter at all that he's not a speed guy.

I think this is exactly where the ARod comparisons started coming from. It was meant as he's got good pop, but not a lot of speed like Hanley. People were looking to make comps to an all-star SS, so Hanley and Arod were the two people went most to, not that he's going to be the player Arod was, but closer to that than HRam.

It's funny because for me I always thought more of Tulo with less defense.

I think this is exactly where the ARod comparisons started coming from. It was meant as he's got good pop, but not a lot of speed like Hanley. People were looking to make comps to an all-star SS, so Hanley and Arod were the two people went most to, not that he's going to be the player Arod was, but closer to that than HRam.

If you are thinking of the same ARod I am, he has over 300 career stolen bases and had a 40/40 (42HR/46SB) year in '98. 81% sucess rate career as well.

Archived