A's claim Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays (Kouzmanoff on the market?)

Capn Vivi

The busiest team of the offseason made another move Friday, acquiring Edwin Encarnacion on a waiver claim from Toronto.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/12/SPKQ1GBD9O.DTL

That's another 3rd baseman off the market. On the bright side, Kevin Kouzmanoff is definitely ON the market now. He might be had for a relative bargain as well and is a definite candidate for a bounce back season offensively (he's already an excellent defender).

Kouzmanoff has been worth 2.5 WAR+ each of the last 4 years thanks in large part to his defense. In 2010, he was worth 2.9 WAR despite a career low OPS of .679.

He has a career .782 OPS against lefties and a career Road OPS of .776 (compared to .673 at Home - playing in Petco Park 3 of the last 4 years).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the O's had to decline EE for him to get to the A's... correct? If so, why would we pass on a waiver pickup like that? Does AM seriously think he can sign Beltre?

Here is my guess. MacPhail is trying to build a team based on pitching and defense. EE is not a very good defensive 3B. MacPhail has probably been talking to both Billy Beane about Kouzmanoff and Tower about Reynolds. MacPhail understands where he is with a trade of either one. I think MacPhail likes his chances of making a deal with Beane or Tower for a 3B better then what he would have had if he had claimed EE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the O's had to decline EE for him to get to the A's... correct? If so, why would we pass on a waiver pickup like that? Does AM seriously think he can sign Beltre?

The general consensus is that EE was going to be non-tendered because he would earn a contract around $5M next season. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and Oakland and to see if they can work out a deal before the non-tender deadline.

He was slightly above average offensively, but to use an old school stat, he only had a .932 Fielding %.

Amazing how Oakland can always make quick, smart moves while the Orioles sit back and do nothing.

Oh and saying EE brings us nothing just shows a total lack of knowledge and understanding of him and stats in general.

The ironic thing about Encarnacion is that Kouzmanoff may be the only third baseman in the league with a lower walk rate, but Kouz has consistently outgained Encarnacion in terms of WAR (though Encarnacion has struggled with playing time). While I agree that getting Encarnacion for free would have been preferable, Kouzmanoff or Reynolds probably fits MacPhail's plan for this team better. Hopefully he's also confident he can land one or the other.

I'm a little upset we couldn't get Encarnacion, but I'm more upset at how Billy Beane has been wheeling and dealing so far this offseason. He's got a young rotation, almost no offense and he's out there making moves and adding players (including MORE talented pitching!).

Then again, the Mariners supposedly had a phenomenal offseason last year, so we'll just have to see the result before we can judge for sure.

The ironic thing about Encarnacion is that Kouzmanoff may be the only third baseman in the league with a lower walk rate, but Kouz has consistently outgained Encarnacion in terms of WAR (though Encarnacion has struggled with playing time). While I agree that getting Encarnacion for free would have been preferable, Kouzmanoff or Reynolds probably fits MacPhail's plan for this team better. Hopefully he's also confident he can land one or the other.

I'm a little upset we couldn't get Encarnacion, but I'm more upset at how Billy Beane has been wheeling and dealing so far this offseason. He's got a young rotation, almost no offense and he's out there making moves and adding players (including MORE talented pitching!).

Then again, the Mariners supposedly had a phenomenal offseason last year, so we'll just have to see the result before we can judge for sure.

EE doesn't have a poor walk rate.

Archived