A's claim Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays (Kouzmanoff on the market?)

Capn Vivi

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I know what some could be thinking...Why would AM claim EE now if he has others in mind for third base down the road?

Well, few things:

1) We could claim him and then non tender him later.

2) We could tender him a contract and look to trade him.

3) We could just keep him on the team as bench guy if we add another third baseman.

What it does do is guarantee us a big upgrade at third base over what we have right now. We know that worst case scenario, we should have a third baseman who will give us a 2-3 WAR for a bargain salary and we obtained him for free.

No downside picking him up here...Just as the Orioles screwed up when he was released earlier in the season, they screwed up this time as well.

I was just guessing, as I'm not really someone who is up in arms over this.

It was mentioned earlier that the reason we passed on EE is because he was probably going to be non-tendered and he could be had for less. The only reason NOT to claim him is a) you forsee a 40 man crunch b) you don't want to commit $5M to him or c) AM and BS don't think he's an upgrade. Either way, I think it would be throwing caution to the wind to claim him and worry about that later. You don't agree?

I think if you're approaching the claim from the standpoint that he's a back-up plan, you would be acknowledging a certain level of risk. However, the risk is proportionate to likelihood you can acquire a better player. Reynolds is owed $12.5m for 2011/12 combined and would require talent to obtain. Beltre would be MUCH more expensive and otherwise, you're talking about Wigginton, Uribe, maybe Cantu as potentially less expensive options (<$5m). I don't believe MacPhail and Buck think he's not an upgrade offensively. Defensively, you could argue it's a wash.

Whether or not MacPhail thinks he can acquire another player doesn't really matter when any other player he can obtain would be either worse or more expensive.

Hand-wringing!

How could we let EDWIN get away??

Please... like anyone even mentioned this guy prior to this news. One thing is for sure, Andy MacPhail knows how to GM better than any of us pretenders. We're fans, nothing more, never forget that. The OH could use a slice of humble pie sometimes.

Besides the fact that this isn't accurate, he was under the Blue Jays' control. So he wasn't a realistic option. There was a little speculation that he might be non-tendered, but that was, well... speculative.

And you make light of him, but Encarnacion is way better than anyone else the O's had out there this season. He may yet turn out to be better than anyone else they put out there in 2011.

You might have held off on your lecture until MacPhail acquires someone who is clearly better than Encarnacion.

Maybe MacPhail has no intention of EE being on the O's team next year and is not into playing fantasy baseball. Maybe he understands that he is playing with people careers and it would be better for EE to find a team that really wants him, if the O's had no plan to keep him.

I know SG for one and probably several other posters value the contribution that EE could make. But maybe MacPhail sees him as a marginal defensive 3B that does not fit with the O's inspite of the fact he might be a better offensive player then what they have.

Maybe MacPhail has had enough discussion with other GMs that he pretty much understands who he can get to play 3B next year.

Maybe MacPhail has no intention of EE being on the O's team next and is not into playing fantasy baseball. Maybe he understands that he is playing with people careers and it would be better for EE to find a team that really wants him, if the O's had no plan to keep him.

I know SG for one and probably several other posters value the contribution that EE could make. But maybe MacPhail sees him as a marginal defensive 3B that does not fit with the O's inspite of the fact he might be a better offensive player then what they have.

Maybe MacPhail has had enough discussion with other GMs that he pretty much understands who he can get to play 3B next year.

And maybe AM is inconsistent with his thoughts and is just flat out wrong about EE.

He would be the best third baseman AM has acquired for us since he has been here. He is young, has good upside, good power, decent walk rate, improving defense and had peripherals from last year that say he should be better.

He talks about getting guys that had down years but are good bounce back candidates..well, EE is one of those guys.

Again, he could pick him up now and drop him later if he gets a better option..That's fine. But to not pick him up right now and at least have that option is indefensible.

Maybe MacPhail has no intention of EE being on the O's team next and is not into playing fantasy baseball. Maybe he understands that he is playing with people careers and it would be better for EE to find a team that really wants him, if the O's had no plan to keep him.

I hope that the bolded is true.

But he has a substantial task list for this winter, and this is one hole that he could've filled reasonably well with no expense save the salary.

But he has a substantial task list for this winter, and this is one hole that he could've filled reasonably well with no expense save the salary.

If Reynolds is available ina salary dump that can be had fora lesser prospect who would you rather have?

And maybe AM is inconsistent with his thoughts and is just flat out wrong about EE.

He would be the best third baseman AM has acquired for us since he has been here. He is young, has good upside, good power, decent walk rate, improving defense and had peripherals from last year that say he should be better.

He talks about getting guys that had down years but are good bounce back candidates..well, EE is one of those guys.

Again, he could pick him up now and drop him later if he gets a better option..That's fine. But to not pick him up right now and at least have that option is indefensible.

Look its not just MacPhail. Its your opinion on EE vs the whole O's organization include Buck Showalter. They had their organizational meeting in AZ. They talked about all the possible options at 3B including EE. They planned out their strategy.

MacPhail had full input on this decision including Buck. If Buck had wanted EE in the O's organization that is where he would be right now. That is good enough for me.

If the goal is to build a team around pitching and defense and the O's at the organizational meeting decided that his defense did not fit the O's plan then MacPhail probably acted accordingly.

Its up to MacPhail to get a 3B solution that fits the O's plan better.

Look its not just MacPhail. Its your opinion on EE vs the whole O's organization include Buck Showalter. They had their organizational meeting in AZ. They talked about all the possible options at 3B including EE. They planned out their strategy.

MacPhail had full input on this decision including Buck. If Buck had wanted EE in the O's organization that is where he would be right now. That is good enough for me.

If AM did not bother to tell Buck that EE was available, and Buck wanted EE, then we have a major issue. Isn't it possible that AM saw EE was available and went to Buck, "Hey Toronto let EE go, do you want him?" If Buck said no, then this is a non-story right? Or do we believe that it is AM's job to pick the players without imput and Buck has to make a winner with the players he was given after this offseason?

Good to hear..but until the team of Buck and AM make the proper long term decisions for the Orioles, I could care less if they do or do not want a guy that represents a major upgrade over what we have. They can not like him all they want but he WAY BETTER than Wiggy..its not even close.

If the goal is to build a team around pitching and defense and the O's at the organizational meeting decided that his defense did not fit the O's plan then MacPhail probably acted accordingly.

Its up to MacPhail to get a 3B solution that fits the O's plan better.

His defense is fine..Its not Beltre defense but its around league average...Its better than what we got last year, especially after Miggy left.

If AM did not bother to tell Buck that EE was available, and Buck wanted EE, then we have a major issue. Isn't it possible that AM saw EE was available and went to Buck, "Hey Toronto let EE go, do you want him?" If Buck said no, then this is a non-story right? Or do we believe that it is AM's job to pick the players without imput and Buck has to make a winner with the players he was given after this offseason?

MacPhail has pretty much made it clear that Buck will be in on personnel decisions. I am sure that EE was discussed a the organizational meetings with Buck there.

Archived