A's claim Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays (Kouzmanoff on the market?)

Capn Vivi

I agree. On the surface, it doesn't look like there's much to be had. But if you get aggressive, there are options available. First base is easy to solve (on the FA market). 3B and SS will determine, for me, if AM should stay or go. I'm right on the fence this offseason about him. Wigginton at third or Izturis at SS is an automatic fail.
Yep...I am tired of hearing people say there is nothing available.

There are some solid short and long term options available at first.

Plenty of SS/3rd baseman are available or are likely to be available.

And, we have heard some solid OFers being available potentially.

This is an offseason where the Orioles need to make some deals and while they will lose some talent, they can hold onto their picks in a very good draft and perhaps, replenish what you lose.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh ok..Well, i don't put much stock in the FB numbers or that K's mean much.

So, I guess there is no point in discussing this? :rolleyes:

I mean, what a pointless thing to say...You bring up a meh OBP but yet you want to discount 2 years of a 349 OPS? What is the point of even discussing this with you if you are going to discount a solid number in a category that you feel is important?

I said a .349 OBP is OK. You think it's great? The reason the K's give me pause is because I am concerned with productive outs, as many hitting coaches seem to be these days. If Reynolds is working the count on most of these K's for 6 P/PA or more, then he is allright, but do we know that? A guy with an OBP of .350 but has 50% or more unproductive outs is not as valuable as a guy with the same OBP, who makes more than 50 % productive outs. He is hitting fewer GB's every year, and more popups and cans of corn FB's. The HR/FB % is going down. GB's tend to find grass more often than IFFB's and cans of corn. How many of these are productive? Nothing hurts a team more than getting a couple of guys on base and then seeing a pop up, an easy FB or a K. Is this what we will be getting?

I said a .349 OBP is OK. You think it's great?
Great? No...But solid? Yes. And you said you don't put as much stock in his OBP, which is an absurd statement.
The reason the K's give me pause is because I am concerned with productive outs, as many hitting coaches seem to be these days.
A K is better than a GIDP, which he doesn't do that often.

He is what he is...A guy with a ton of power, who will take a good amount of walks and give you average-ish defense.

You aren't getting a perfect player for third base no matter which guy we get..Beltre included.

You keep pointing out his offensive issues yet you keep pushing Kouz who takes very few walks and doesn't hit for a good average either...You are essentially saying that having another Izzy is fine with you...And that's ok but its a poor way of building our team and it ignores the needs of the offense.

Great? No...But solid? Yes. And you said you don't put as much stock in his OBP, which is an absurd statement. A K is better than a GIDP, which he doesn't do that often.

He is what he is...A guy with a ton of power, who will take a good amount of walks and give you average-ish defense.

You aren't getting a perfect player for third base no matter which guy we get..Beltre included.

You keep pointing out his offensive issues yet you keep pushing Kouz who takes very few walks and doesn't hit for a good average either...You are essentially saying that having another Izzy is fine with you...And that's ok but its a poor way of building our team and it ignores the needs of the offense.

Kouz will give you superior defense and LA offense, while costing you very little in prospects. I don't know what the evaluation of Bell is, whether he is still considered our 3B of the future, but I would take Kouz over Reynolds short term and I don't see Reynolds as long term.

For me, he doesn't...He is right at or near the top of SS options though.

Interesting, I assumed he was moved from ss because they felt he couldn't handle it. I suppose Ramirez at short was more of a factor. If we could get average D from him at short, that would certainly be more preferable.

Archived