My offseason plan

JTrea81

How many more people do you think A-Gon or Feilder would bring to this team Ceteris paribus. So that is is not factoring the people you have to trade way for him. And lets assume that after that the Orioles are Orioles are and 85 win team with him which i don't think they will be.

Is it really so taxing to type out "all things being equal"?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be willing to offer the 5th year if that's what it took to land him.

3B looks to be a wasteland for the next several years on the FA market.

You might have ARam next year, but he's not a match for Beltre defensively.

No way would I offer Beltre that kind of contract. Three years, tops. I do like that AM doesn't seem interested in mega-length contracts, for the most part. I hope he sticks with the high-dollar-less-years deals. Meanwhile, I like most of your "plan" actually but doubt it's even remotely possible.

- Beltre doesn't want to come to Baltimore - and after a mega year in Boston, he's looking to get paid, and he won't have to come here to get it.

- Prince is a really nice player... right now. But I have a feeling he's headed over a cliff within the next 2-3 years. I mean, he's listed at 5'11" and 270 pounds. :eek: It would be nice to give up what you're talking about, but I don't think the rest of the league overvalues our prospects like Tillman, even if our front office does, IMO.

- Hairston, I used to like. Meh. Varitek, I would run screaming from, pretty much. I don't think a backup catcher should be getting anywhere near 3 million dollars a year.

But all that said, I like the aggressive thinking here. We shall see what happens, but I am guessing nothing nearly this dramatic.

Jtrea, what I want to know is what is your plan B and C?

IMO, your trade for Fielder isn't going to work...First of all, I doubt AM tries to make a deal for him and secondly, I think the offer you have said won't get it done because some contender will beat it.

We already know that Boston wants to get AGon..whether it happens or not is a different story but they have a ton more than we do.

So, what is next for you? What other options do you have? Also, you should assume a payroll closer to 80 million than 100 million.

Jtrea, what I want to know is what is your plan B and C?

IMO, your trade for Fielder isn't going to work...First of all, I doubt AM tries to make a deal for him and secondly, I think the offer you have said won't get it done because some contender will beat it.

We already know that Boston wants to get AGon..whether it happens or not is a different story but they have a ton more than we do.

So, what is next for you? What other options do you have? Also, you should assume a payroll closer to 80 million than 100 million.

I'm not saying that's what the Orioles will do. I'm saying that's what I would do so I can take the payroll where I want it to go.

And the Orioles have been connected with Fielder already so I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after him. Whether or not MacPhail is willing to offer enough is the question.

I personally think that's enough. The Brewers have really poor interest for him, and they'll get even less for him at the deadline if he has another season similar to last year's. They'll have to take what they can get and considering he won't extend, teams aren't going to be willing to offer a ton for a rent-a player and pay them $15 million next season.

I'm not saying that's what the Orioles will do. I'm saying that's what I would do so I can take the payroll where I want it to go.

And the Orioles have been connected with Fielder already so I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after him. Whether or not MacPhail is willing to offer enough is the question.

I personally think that's enough. The Brewers have really poor interest for him, and they'll get even less for him at the deadline if he has another season similar to last year's. They'll have to take what they can get and considering he won't extend, teams aren't going to be willing to offer a ton for a rent-a player and pay them $15 million next season.

They haven't really been connected with him. I think most people look at our needs and assume we could go after him so they mention us as a team that could inquire about him.

You have no idea what type of interest the Brewers are getting for him now. And the Brewers don't have to trade Fielder...They aren't trading him unless they get the value of the draft picks.

And you didn't answer my question...What if your trade ideas don't work..What is your plan B?

They haven't really been connected with him. I think most people look at our needs and assume we could go after him so they mention us as a team that could inquire about him.

You have no idea what type of interest the Brewers are getting for him now. And the Brewers don't have to trade Fielder...They aren't trading him unless they get the value of the draft picks.

And you didn't answer my question...What if your trade ideas don't work..What is your plan B?

Well I'm going off of reports that the Brewers had very little interest in him at the deadline.

As for Plan B - move Luke Scott to 1B full time - sign a DH like Thome to a 1 year deal and have him share the DH spot with players that need rest - mainly Matt Wieters.

As for a pitcher - there are plenty of guys out there but I would think the Yankees would love to offload Burnett.

Well I'm going off of reports that the Brewers had very little interest in him at the deadline
Which means nothing now...If, for example, the Giants are hot after Fielder, they aren't likely to trade Jonathon Sanchez for him at the deadline but they easily could in the offseason..Not to mention, there are a lot more teams who think they can win in November/December than in July. There are several contending teams that could add Fielder for one year to help them win a title and then take the picks after next year.
As for Plan B - move Luke Scott to 1B full time - sign a DH like Thome to a 1 year deal and have him share the DH spot with players that need rest - mainly Matt Wieters.
How does this help the young players succeed?

Which means nothing now...If, for example, the Giants are hot after Fielder, they aren't likely to trade Jonathon Sanchez for him at the deadline but they easily could in the offseason..Not to mention, there are a lot more teams who think they can win in November/December than in July. There are several contending teams that could add Fielder for one year to help them win a title and then take the picks after next year.

We'll just have to see the market for him. I don't think there's going to be a ton of demand.

How does this help the young players succeed?

Well don't forget you still have Beltre at 3B. Thome is still pretty intimidating at his age and would only require a 1 year deal.

I've also got Hairston, Varitek and Hinkse still on the bench which are solid veteran options.

It's not ideal honestly as I want Fielder, but better to spend the money on a player that can still hit unlike the has beens that Pena, Lee and Berkman are. Wieters can DH 40 games and Thome can play the other 100.

Well don't forget you still have Beltre at 3B. Thome is still pretty intimidating at his age and would only require a 1 year deal.

I've also got Hairston, Varitek and Hinkse still on the bench which are solid veteran options.

It's not ideal honestly as I want Fielder, but better to spend the money on a player that can still hit unlike the has beens that Pena, Lee and Berkman are. Wieters can DH 40 games and Thome can play the other 100.

Beltre isn't much of anything offensively..at least to do what you are trying to do.

Beltre has some power but is usually an 800ish OPS guy, which isn't exactly someone that is a barn burner.

Put it this way, if I am a pitcher, i am pitching to Beltre before Nick.

Your vet options on the bench don't help Wieters, Jones and Nick have bigger years.

Thome is still solid but there is no reason for Thome to sign a one year deal to play with a team that has no chance at winning a World Series.

And why don't you think the interest for Fielder will be there?

Since we're talking about off season treades and FA acquisitions:

Trade Pie or less for Beltran (best #3 hitter available, IMO).

Sign Beltre for 4 years $15M per with 5th year vesting option and $10M+ in incentives (not many teams will go this high, IMO).

Sign Konerko for 2 years w/3rd vesting option. Risky at 35? Yes, but better than Derrek Lee, who has not played in the AL.

3 middle order hitters, only loss of Pie and draft picks. And the O's have 3 legitimate MOO hitters that will push the O's several notches up in offense.

Thome is still solid but there is no reason for Thome to sign a one year deal to play with a team that has no chance at winning a World Series.

I'd offer him $ of course and an agreement that we'd trade him to a contender if we were out of it by July. If we are on pace for 85-90 wins, that won't be the case IMO.

And why don't you think the interest for Fielder will be there?

The fact he won't sign an extension, had a down year last year, and his body type and then he'll require $15 million.

Not to mention that there are several FA options that will cost less and that you don't have to trade prospects for.

Other teams can get away with Lee, Pena and Berkman so they will pursue those options. The Orioles can't and need a major upgrade there because of the division they play in.

I'd offer him $ of course and an agreement that we'd trade him to a contender if we were out of it by July. If we are on pace for 85-90 wins, that won't be the case IMO

You can't have an agreement like that...What if no one wants to give up any value for him?

The fact he won't sign an extension, had a down year last year, and his body type and then he'll require $15 million.

Yet, its a good idea for US to acquire him? Perfect logic!

Archived