My offseason plan

JTrea81

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd offer him $ of course and an agreement that we'd trade him to a contender if we were out of it by July. If we are on pace for 85-90 wins, that won't be the case IMO.

The fact he won't sign an extension, had a down year last year, and his body type and then he'll require $15 million.

Not to mention that there are several FA options that will cost less and that you don't have to trade prospects for.

Other teams can get away with Lee, Pena and Berkman so they will pursue those options. The Orioles can't and need a major upgrade there because of the division they play in.

Build it and they will come...

Maestro, you haven't lost your touch. With bait like this, I predict the thread will go at least 8 pages.

Trea- though I agree with you on a lot of things, signing Thome is not what this team needs. It's contradicting what your reasons are for Fielder. Thome isn't a threat, and he is left handed so if you can't get a big RH bat and you have to settle for a lefty why not break the bank for Dunn this year let him play 1st, and Scott DH, then next offseason get Fielder or AGon and if you get Fielder let he and Dunn split time at 1st or assign one to each position permanetly. If you get AGon let him play GG 1B and move Dunn to DH...then that makes Scott expendable.

So this season get Dunn, Reynolds, Uehara, Izturis/Hardy (preferably Hardy), and Garland/Burrnett/Westbrook...

Trea- though I agree with you on a lot of things, signing Thome is not what this team needs. It's contradicting what your reasons are for Fielder. Thome isn't a threat, and he is left handed so if you can't get a big RH bat and you have to settle for a lefty why not break the bank for Dunn this year let him play 1st, and Scott DH, then next offseason get Fielder or AGon and if you get Fielder let he and Dunn split time at 1st or assign one to each position permanetly. If you get AGon let him play GG 1B and move Dunn to DH...then that makes Scott expendable.

So this season get Dunn, Reynolds, Uehara, Izturis/Hardy (preferably Hardy), and Garland/Burrnett/Westbrook...

Thome is still a huge threat. He had over a 1.000 OPS for the Twins last season. We wouldn't need a big RH bat because Beltre would provide enough offense now that he is out of Safeco IMO.

Locking up Dunn is a bad idea. Just look at the career of Richie Sexson. Dunn seems to be on the exact same career path.

I'd rather get a 1 year option for DH and put Luke Scott at 1B for 2011 if we can't get Fielder.

You can't have an agreement like that...What if no one wants to give up any value for him?

Then obviously you keep him.

Yet, its a good idea for US to acquire him? Perfect logic!

Teams are going to be turned off, but whoever trades for him is going to get a huge year IMO. The Orioles need to be that team.

So him having a monster season somehow helps us resign him?

We are only one of a few teams that would have the money to sign him, plus as I've stated, he'd likely prefer to return to Baltimore IMO as most players that play for the Orioles want to stay.

1) That trade will not get us Fielder IMO...Its very easy to beat that. The Giants could offer Sanchez straight up and beat that offer.

2) Your payroll is too much for 2011...You may not want to hear that..you may want to say they can spend more but again, you are wrong. The payroll you have there is just over 100 million...its just not going to get to that level.

3) The BP sucks and could be a big reason that prevents you from winning 90 games.

I just disagree with that and no matter how many times people say it I'm still going to disagree. There is no reason the Orioles can't afford a $100 million payroll. Markets like Detroit and Philadelphia do it, so there is no reason we can't. Now if you are arguing that MacPhail won't go that far, then I might agree, but there is no reason we can't be in that range especially after bare boning it over the last 3-5 years.

I just disagree with that and no matter how many times people say it I'm still going to disagree. There is no reason the Orioles can't afford a $100 million payroll. Markets like Detroit and Philadelphia do it, so there is no reason we can't. Now if you are arguing that MacPhail won't go that far, then I might agree, but there is no reason we can't be in that range especially after bare boning it over the last 3-5 years.

The real question is, could they do it consistently? They had a $93 mm payroll a few years ago, so we know they can go that high for a single year. I guess it depends on whether higher attendance would result. You mention Detroit and Philly, but those two teams draw very well.

First of all, I doubt AM will go that high.

Secondly, I am not sure 100 million is realistic in 2011. It may be in 2012 and beyond but not 2011.

I think the payroll should get in the 80-90 million range for 2011...and that would be plenty.(i have my doubts it gets even that high)

The real question is, could they do it consistently? They had a $93 mm payroll a few years ago, so we know they can go that high for a single year. I guess it depends on whether higher attendance would result. You mention Detroit and Philly, but those two teams draw very well.

Cash is so abundant right now that it just isn't worth what it used to be. 100 million today isn't worth nor does it cost what it was/did even 3 years ago. It costs virtually nothing, even if the Orioles had to BORROW 20 mil a year for the next 5 in order to increase revenues.

We do know that losing causes lower attendance.

Angelos is a very rich old man who loves the Orioles. I wonder how much he wants to see the O's win again before he dies. If he really wants to see that, he'll need to spend more money to make it happen.

Is a $100M payroll reasonable? Sure. Why not? All it takes is for Angelos to decide to spend whtever it takes for the O's to become winners. Other rich sports team owners before him have done exactly that.

We do know that losing causes lower attendance.

Angelos is a very rich old man who loves the Orioles. I wonder how much he wants to see the O's win again before he dies. If he really wants to see that, he'll need to spend more money to make it happen.

Is a $100M payroll reasonable? Sure. Why not? All it takes is for Angelos to decide to spend whtever it takes for the O's to become winners. Other rich sports team owners before him have done exactly that.

This notion crops up every off season. I have no way of knowing how deeply and truly Peter Angelos loves the Orioles, if at all. I do know this - I've been waiting a long time to see evidence of the passion for winning that some of the owners you allude to so clearly have.

Thome is still a huge threat. He had over a 1.000 OPS for the Twins last season. We wouldn't need a big RH bat because Beltre would provide enough offense now that he is out of Safeco IMO.

Locking up Dunn is a bad idea. Just look at the career of Richie Sexson. Dunn seems to be on the exact same career path.

I'd rather get a 1 year option for DH and put Luke Scott at 1B for 2011 if we can't get Fielder.

Is Thome a bigger threat than Dunn? IMO Dunn would be a bigger threat next season and especially for the next 3 seasons. You can't teach 40+ HR power. Dunn has it and hasn't showed significant decline yet, at least I'm not aware of any decline. IMO we would be stupid not to go after him. Or at least be a player for him.

Archived