Orioles,11 others interested in Adrian Beltre

IAmBirdland10

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 teams means a long time on the sidelines waiting for the market to set itself.

ETA: When Boras says 11 teams, he may really have 4 or 5.

While Beltre's commanding a lot of interest, it's likely that agent Scott Boras is only seriously considering offers from a small handful (no more than four) of them. Among those teams likely to not be interested? The New York Yankees (Alex Rodriguez), Tampa Bay Rays (Evan Longoria) and the New York Mets (David Wright).

According to this person,four.:laughlol:

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-red-sox/2010/11/16/1817764/adrian-beltre-a-hot-stove-hot-topic

Boston will get 2 picks either way, and one better pick if a non-bottom 15 team signs him. Their pick shouldn't be a consideration for us.

4/60 is the absolute max I would go.

I think that is overpaying 2-4 million a year. Giving him a really dumb contract plus giving Boston 2 picks would really sting.

This is positive news.

Hopefully they can make it workout.

Actually, I should couch this by saying that I don't believe a word Heyman says in regard to a Boras client.

So, this isn't necessarily news at all. Please disregard my declaration of this as good news. This isn't news, this is Boras mouthpiece Heyman doing some pre-hot stove chirping.

4/60 is the absolute max I would go.

I think that is overpaying 2-4 million a year. Giving him a really dumb contract plus giving Boston 2 picks would really sting.

So you are assuming the other teams interested in him, like LAAA and Boston, are only going to offer 3 years and 50M tops? My guess is most of the offers will be in the neighborhood of 4/60. So if the O's want him they have to go higher in years and/or $$$.

From MLBTradeRumors:

he market for free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre is hot, tweets SI's Jon Heyman, and the Orioles "seem very interested." Heyman tweets that a dozen teams are interested in the Scott Boras client. He believes Beltre could be the first star to go off the board, but I'd still be surprised to see him sign before December.

In addition to the contract, the Orioles would have to surrender their second-round pick to sign Beltre. There is recent precedent for that; they gave their second-round pick to the Braves a year ago to sign Mike Gonzalez.

Jon Heyman's Tweet:

#orioles seem very interested in beltre. have had trouble luring free agents in recent years. we'll see.

I hope AM employs big discipline here. Determine what you think he's really worth, in terms of your overall projected outlays, and stick to that. If the market takes Beltre higher, then good for him. But I wouldn't chase Beltre. He's not that kind of talent, IMO. Frankly, if he really said he didn't want to play here, I wouldn't go after him regardless... unless it was maybe a surprise offer at the end that you spent about three hours constructing.

Don't really understand why people care about how much money he gets. It isn't coming out of your pockets, and the Orioles have a lot of payroll space for the next couple years. He makes the team a lot better by being a great hitter and adding protection. They should overpay to get him, win the world series with him, and then sign whomever they want for the forseeable future with little difficulty.

Archived