Heyman via twitter: O's after Konerko

Moose Milligan

The only way I see this baby getting done is by putting together what I call a "WOW" offer.

We've got to get one of these guys and that's the bottom line. If we have to give an extra year or give a little more money I say just get it done. I'd be on board with getting Konerko.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I would be lukewarm at best over a Konerko signing, is there any indication that he's even interested in coming here? I'm guessing this is leaking out via an agent just to drive his price up.

I'm wondering if they do sign Konerko or Beltre if that would mean they would give up the pursuit of the other?

The only way I see this baby getting done is by putting together what I call a "WOW" offer.

We've got to get one of these guys and that's the bottom line. If we have to give an extra year or give a little more money I say just get it done. I'd be on board with getting Konerko.

In the future I will tell my grandchildren..."yes, I was there when the phrase was coined...I was there..."

Guest rochester
Hopefully he turns us down like he did last time because I have no interest in him.

Why? Who else is out there that is really obtainable?

You'd rather Victor Martinez out of position or LaRoche over Derrek Lee?

Meh, to each his own... but I don't think LaRoche is all that good and Martinez isn't a first baseman.

He hasn't played there very much (most was in 2009...70 games), but I was surprised to see that he actually wasn't a total butcher at the position.

Part of me wonders whether playing first would improve his offense over the next few years, but his probable cost, IMO, hammers home the idea that the thought isn't worth entertaining.

Anyway, he'd provide some middle of the order (MOO!) power.

I would love to have Konerko at first. He's proven a very sound defender at first (except for last year's anomaly). He appears in great shape. I'll take a career .280 hitter at first, projected to hit 32 home runs next year, with solid defense and a UZR around 1. No problem.

If they can sign him to three years at $12 million, that would be a tremendous deal for the Orioles and a solid one for him. He'll probably get more, though. I would chase a little on Konerko. I've always just liked the guy. And yes, he had a great year last year, but he's had a LOT of great years in his career. In fact, he's hit more home runs twice in previous seasons.

He's another guy everybody likes to predict is about to implode, like Vlad last year. But I think he could have another 2-3 very productive seasons.

I say do it. Screw it. When is the last time the O's have had a chance to bring in a guy like Konerko who was still putting up great numbers? We need a power bat. Konerko is that. Give him 3 years. If he declines, make him our DH. Try to trade him. At worst, we're stuck with him for a year...maybe two. The O's do have the ability to absorb a potential bad 3 year deal. But I dont think he is going to be a liability for all 3 yrs.

35 is not 38. I think we could very well get 2 very solid years out of him with an average 3rd year. I would do it.

If we signed Konerko we could trade for Reynolds and have 6 batters in our line-up with potential to hit 20+ HR's -- Konerko, Reynolds, Scott, Reimold, Wieters and Jones.

Sign me up.

Put me in the same camp as NMS. We need a power bat and I'd prefer it be right handed. Personally, I rather have Paulie, than Pena, on who I agree with Billy Connor's assessment (strikes out too much and not clutch enough). I'd prefer to pay a little more for a 2 year plus club option deal. Dunn's a complete statue at first.

Frankly, I'm just happy to see the O's apparently have serious interest in the likes of Konerko, Pena, Beltre, etc. Now lets get a couple of these guys.

Archived