Heyman via twitter: O's after Konerko

Moose Milligan

Great numbers...in one of the last four years.

I originally had written "solid" instead of "great" and then changed it last minute. Guess I should have left it.

That said, outside of 2008, his numbers are still very solid and then could be great.

I sense a disturbance in your calm. Do not let it control your thinking.

O...K...

Aaand...you lost me completely. You're stretching "potential" to the outermost limits of its credibility. Especially by naming Reimold.

You sound like me, 3 years ago.

Reimold hit 15 his rookie year. Wieters has always been slated to be a 20+ HR guy.

Potential is very fitting with those two.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O...K...

I combined a Star Wars and a Firefly reference to make a single statement. Credit where credit is due.

Reimold hit 15 his rookie year. Wieters has always been slated to be a 20+ HR guy.

Potential is very fitting with those two.

IMO, Reimold can't be counted on for/projected to do anything. He was a train wreck last year, and he's too old for prospect/potential "benefit of the doubt" status.

EDIT: fine...you can sub Markakis for Nolan, and that leaves the original six. Of course, after Konerko falls out of his rocking chair, you'll only have five...

With all of the speculation on first basemen here's my order of preference:

Lee- OBP and Fielding make him #1.

Konerko- He'd hit 30 by accident at Camden Yards.

Pena- Hate the avg and K's but RF is so close he'd hit 30+.

Hate losing the 2nd rounder though.

Konerko has Glenn Davis written all over him....pass.

I'd rather get someone who can play good defense while our young pitchers continue to mature, while also providing some pop if nothing else. I really think Pena should be our main target. He's solid defensively, knows the division, and although streaky, has excellent power. Plus he is three years younger than Konerko.

Glenn Davis would have been ok if... he had stayed out of bar fights and he had not cost us three extremely valuable pieces.

Now Dale Murphy...that's a scary comp...

IMO, Reimold can't be counted on for/projected to do anything. He was a train wreck last year, and he's too old for prospect/potential "benefit of the doubt" status.

EDIT: fine...you can sub Markakis for Nolan, and that leaves the original six. Of course, after Konerko falls out of his rocking chair, you'll only have five...

There's a difference between "being counted on" and "having potential" to hit 20+ HR.

Ask any person on this board and they would agree that Nolan has potential to hit 20+ HR.

There's a difference between "being counted on" and "having potential" to hit 20+ HR.

Ask any person on this board and they would agree that Nolan has potential to hit 20+ HR.

I think he'll hit alot more than 20HRs if he can stay on the field next year. Great eye, really selective, a ton of power.

His eye is much better than people give him credit for (including the umps). That'll change in time, and when he does start getting those calls go his way.... watch out!

I think Reimold will bounce back. If we were to trade Scott, I'd have no problem going into next season with him as the full-time DH, provided we've made upgrades elsewhere. I think that's probably his best position at this point. They could let him work at 1B a bit as well.

From the Chicago Tribune:

As it is, the Sox have about $15 million to spend for a first baseman, catcher, closer and set-up man. That's why they haven't re-signed Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1118-rogers-baseball-gm-meetin20101117,0,2978661.column

Also notice that the article tells why Williams would have been better off keeping his young pitching instead of trading them. Might be a learn for the O's.

Archived