Justin Upton

My O's Face

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/520692-mlb-trade-rumors-florida-marlins-very-much-in-the-mix-for-justin-upton

Appearently the Marlins are in the mix:

For the Marlins, their interest has come from left field, never have they been this active in trying to improve their team, this early in the offseason in quite a while. Part of it could be attributed to the eerily quiet offseason last year, where the Marlins made no big additions and ended up paying for it in the standings with a 80-82 record after their lofty expectations of a playoff berth.

According to reports and sources, a package of Logan Morrison and Ricky Nolasco would be enough to land the 23-year-old outfielder from Arizona, who was the first pick in the 2005 First Year Player Draft.

Think we can beat that? Bell and Arrieta?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's it?? Another Conor Jackson and a 3/4 starter?

Morrison is a very highly regarded young player. Plus, although Nolasco has struggled the last couple years in terms of ERA, his FIP has been quite good and he's still considered to have strong potential.

That's it?? Another Conor Jackson and a 3/4 starter?

Yeah, I don't understand these various reports. Here you have Heyman quoting an AL exec as saying that the D-Backs want the moon for Upton, yet we have reports like this leaking out that seem like underwhelming offers. I'm more inclined to believe Heyman on this one.

Morrison is a very highly regarded young player. Plus, although Nolasco has struggled the last couple years in terms of ERA, his FIP has been quite good and he's still considered to have strong potential.

Morrison is a JERK. I have never met a player that I've hated more than him.

He was BA 20th best last year in the Marlins system, 18th before that. He has a career minor league OPS of .849. He's young, and has a great OBP track record, but he doesn't hit for power at first base. I think he can play the outfield, but not well (IIRC). He's flawed is my point. I don't get it.

Edit: Perhaps I read BR wrong and it was 20th overall, not in the Marlins. Still, I stand by my point.

I can see this being another player we all get way too caught up in, only to find out that MacPhail hasn't even considered a trade for him. I'd be willing to give up a lot for Upton, but I'm not going to get caught up in a high profile player like this until MacPhail gives me reason to believe he's willing to pursue players like this.

He was BA 20th best last year in the Marlins system, 18th before that. He has a career minor league OPS of .849. He's young, and has a great OBP track record, but he doesn't hit for power at first base. I think he can play the outfield, but not well (IIRC). He's flawed is my point. I don't get it.

Yeah, he doesn't hit many hr's, but he still was the 20th rated prospect going into last year and put up a .925 OPS in the minors and then an .837 OPS in the bigs this year. Quite an impressive season.

I agree that isn't an impressive offer for Upton, but I wouldn't knock Morrison too much. Britton, for instance is not likely to be valued any more on the trade market.

Morrison has a ton of upside...however, the Orioles can not allow the Marlins to get him for that package.

The Orioles may not be able to put a young, cheap position prospect like Morrison on the table but we have pitching...AM has got to push the envelope here...he needs to get rid of some of that precious pitching.

This is an oppurtunity that is extremely rare and obtaining a player like this would be a monster gain for this team.

Archived