Justin Upton

My O's Face

Everything we've seen the last few days indicates that Towers is requesting a "ridiculous" return for Upton... so who thinks we should be involved given those circumstances?

As long as we don't hit the "ludicrous" level, I think we should be involved. But, by gosh, if it gets to "ludicrous", we need to bail out faster than SportsGuy can come up with a three-team trade! :D;)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything we've seen the last few days indicates that Towers is requesting a "ridiculous" return for Upton... so who thinks we should be involved given those circumstances?

It honestly depends on how much you believe in the bat, no?

If you believe you have a .300/.360/.550 bat for five years at around $50 million, I would be willing to give up a crazy amount. I can guarantee that any big FA 1B is going to listen to you if you are paying him market and batting him HERE:

1 Roberts

2 Markakis

3 HERE

4 Upton

5 Wieters

6 Jones

To put a point on it, I'd trade two of Arrieta/Tillman/Britton, Bergie, Avery, Pie and Johnson and not think twice. To be honest, I'd then be all for turning around and trying to move Markakis for a young power arm in the Britton range and a decent SS option. I think AM should be fielding offers for Markakis, Roberts and Jones if he isn't already.

I do...First of all, the asking prices are always very high in the beginning...Remember when the Rockies wanted Guthrie for Barmes? Its always crazy at first.

Now, maybe he remains at that level but maybe ridiculous is defined differently with some than others.

For example, I would be shocked if AM would trade Guthrie and one of Tillman, Britton, Arrieta or BB. i don't think he trades away 2/5 of his rotation AND other players. He pushes the grow the arms things, believes that is the way to win and I don't see him trading 2 of those guys.

However, I wouldn't even think twice about it...Hell, I have said I would push Guthrie but even if they wanted 2 of those young starters, I move them in the deal as well.

I think Upton is that good and his contract is nothing compared to the production he will likely give you. We are talking about a guy that is very likely to have 2 seasons that combined will justify the rest of his 5 year contract.

If I am AM, I am making them turn down a big time offer...I am taking back Reynolds and the 13 million owed and I am saying to Towers, turn this offer down and if he does that, I am then asking, what do I need to do to make this work and from there, figuring out if doing what it takes is best for the team.

What do you guys want to bet we're going to be seeing him in the AL East next year?

If he is traded, it sounds like it will be to Atlanta, KC, Florida or our division. So, i say the chances are pretty good he is in the AL east next year, if he is dealt.

The problem is, he will be playing 9 games at OPACY, not 81.

I just can't imagine one of BOS/NYA/TAM not getting him if ARI is anywhere near reasonable.
If he is traded, it sounds like it will be to Atlanta, KC, Florida or our division. So, i say the chances are pretty good he is in the AL east next year, if he is dealt.

The problem is, he will be playing 9 games at OPACY, not 81.

It sucks that we can basically rule ourselves out of deals like this. I'm not mad or angry, just annoyed and disappointed.

I do...First of all, the asking prices are always very high in the beginning...Remember when the Rockies wanted Guthrie for Barmes? Its always crazy at first.

Now, maybe he remains at that level but maybe ridiculous is defined differently with some than others.

For example, I would be shocked if AM would trade Guthrie and one of Tillman, Britton, Arrieta or BB. i don't think he trades away 2/5 of his rotation AND other players. He pushes the grow the arms things, believes that is the way to win and I don't see him trading 2 of those guys.

However, I wouldn't even think twice about it...Hell, I have said I would push Guthrie but even if they wanted 2 of those young starters, I move them in the deal as well.

I think Upton is that good and his contract is nothing compared to the production he will likely give you. We are talking about a guy that is very likely to have 2 seasons that combined will justify the rest of his 5 year contract.

If I am AM, I am making them turn down a big time offer...I am taking back Reynolds and the 13 million owed and I am saying to Towers, turn this offer down and if he does that, I am then asking, what do I need to do to make this work and from there, figuring out if doing what it takes is best for the team.

This. We need to make the attempt. If we put our best offer out there and someone beats it, that's the way it goes. To not even try would be a crime.

No shocker there...They have a need and a ton of talent to trade.

And with them getting ready to have a huge haul of draft picks in a deep draft, they can afford to make a move like this...Same with TB, Bos and NY.

I respect your opinion, and Stotle's and others in this thread. What I bolded is a negative point for us tho. We're likely to be losing picks this year (hopefully...) Plus the amount of players we'd lose to trade for him. As good as you and others say he is, it just doesn't seem to me to be our best course right now.

I respect your opinion, and Stotle's and others in this thread. What I bolded is a negative point for us tho. We're likely to be losing picks this year (hopefully...) Plus the amount of players we'd lose to trade for him. As good as you and others say he is, it just doesn't seem to me to be our best course right now.

But, if we offer Koji and Millwood arbitration, we will re-coup 2 picks.

No shocker there...They have a need and a ton of talent to trade.

And with them getting ready to have a huge haul of draft picks in a deep draft, they can afford to make a move like this...Same with TB, Bos and NY.

Yeah, TOR could definitely make a play. They could move young "now" ML arms with a couple arms on the way and plenty of college arms to pull in the 2011 draft. They have up-the-middle prospects to move, as well.

I keep coming back to Boston or Tampa, though. From a young player/prospect standpoint I think they may fit best. I wonder if TAM would look at it as a chance to try and get BJ to eventually re-up for a reasonable amount? Maybe even just extend through Justin's contract?

An outfield of Upton/Upton/Jennings for five years looks pretty good, huh?

Archived