My letter to Andy MacPhail (re: Millar)

Boy Howdy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Golly! The "Orioles" actually wrote back this afternoon. I'm impressed by the quick response (others must be doing the same thing), even if it doesn't exactly quiet all my concerns.

Here's the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Orioles.

As a way of commemorating the Red Sox’ 2004 World Championship, Boston is acknowledging several "Heroes of '04" during first-pitch ceremonies. In addition to Kevin Millar, the Dodgers' special assistant/hitting coach Bill Mueller threw out the first pitch in Game 6 and Giants’ outfielder Dave Roberts is scheduled to throw out the first pitch during the World Series. Boston officials have called other clubs, including the Orioles, to ask permission to use those heroes now under contract with other teams for their special celebrations. The Red Sox asked for and received permission from the Orioles for Kevin to throw out the first pitch before Sunday's Game 7. In addition, Kevin personally checked with Orioles officials to ensure that he was allowed to partake in this special event.

We cannot forget that Kevin Millar was in a lot of ways the heart and soul of that World Series champion Red Sox team back in 2004. Kevin was in Boston as an Oriole, but also as a guest of the Red Sox and as a former Red Sox player. We all must understand his special history with Boston. He was asked to do this by the Red Sox and considered it an honor, and all appropriate requests were made to obtain club permission, which was granted. We would never question Kevin’s loyalty to Baltimore or to the Orioles, and we also would never begrudge Kevin, the Red Sox organization or their fans with this unique opportunity. If the shoe were on the other foot, we would certainly hope, and would expect, that the Red Sox would comply with a similar request made by the Orioles.

We appreciate your loyalty and support for the Orioles. We look forward to seeing you at Camden Yards in 2008.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX

Communications Assistant

Baltimore Orioles

Nice of them to respond, but they miss the point. I don't think anyone really minds him throwing out the first pitch -- it's the rest of the stuff that has ruffled our feathers.

I'm also in the group that doesn't think this was a big deal at all, but Boom Boom's letter was a perfect way to handle it for those who were disturbed. Well done.

Kudos also to the O's for the quick response. I would hope that our fans can appreciate what that letter said.

For the record, the only thing that bothered me just a little was the way he read out the lineups, with the nicknames he had for guys he didn't even play with. That was the only thing. The rest I just felt was a guy having a good time with his former teammates.

If the shoe were on the other foot, we would certainly hope, and would expect, that the Red Sox would comply with a similar request made by the Orioles.

I just hope I live to see the day that the Orioles are repeating playoff appearances and the Red Sox have Oriole rejects on their team.

I'm also in the group that doesn't think this was a big deal at all, but Boom Boom's letter was a perfect way to handle it for those who were disturbed. .

I agree that those who are upset by this are definitely disturbed. Baseball is a game, not a war, and Boston is a rival team, not the enemy. It's supposed to be a pastime, fun. That's the way Millar sees it. Get a life.:D

I agree that those who are upset by this are definitely disturbed. Baseball is a game, not a war, and Boston is a rival team, not the enemy. It's supposed to be a pastime, fun. That's the way Millar sees it. Get a life.:D

Agreed, he's a guy who likes to go out and have a good time. Clearly, his old teammates and fans still embrace him and that doesn't really bother me. There are far more pressing issues with this franchise right now than who Kevin Millar is rooting for in the ALCS.

Either the Orioles thought that Millar would just be throwing out the first pitch and participating in some other World Series related ceremonies at Fenway and then Millar went off and did all this other stuff on his own -- or the Orioles knew everything ahead of time and signed off on it.

I understand the O's respect for the Red Sox and Millar's role on the 2004 team and I think that letter from the O's summed it up about as nicely as it could be. So maybe the blame needs to be shifted back to Millar who perhaps was given an inch and took a mile so to speak.

You have to think that if MacPhail knew about the lending of the #15 and the "we" speak on national TV, he would have either rejected the offer or told Millar to keep it as scaled down as possible.

we also would never begrudge Kevin, the Red Sox organization or their fans with this unique opportunity.

Why the heck not? The Orioles and Red Sox are rival teams in the same division. Why should we help them out? Glad to see we support the same fans that invade our stadium like locusts and spew foul language and ridicule Oriole fans in the same stadium. :rolleyes:

If the shoe were on the other foot, we would certainly hope, and would expect, that the Red Sox would comply with a similar request made by the Orioles.

Bwaaahahahaha!

You've got to be kidding me? The Red Sox would help the Orioles out? Fat chance... :rolleyes:

That can be said about any topic on this board. Does this mean if it's not life and death we can't talk about in on a message board?

Trust me Millar's actions do not affect my life one bit...but I do have an opinion on it...and I thought the OH would be a good place to discuss matters related to the Baltimore Orioles, and dispite Millars affection for the Bosox I beleive he is still an O.

I wish I could be one of the cool kids and say this doesn't matter to me, but it does. As long as Millar is drawing a paycheck from the Orioles, he shouldn't be rooting for a division rival. I understand he's friends with those guys, but it's just a matter of self-respect for the Orioles. We already get invaded by their fans every year, do we really need Millar doing all this stuff?

I'm not upset that Millar wanted to do this, but I am disappointed that MacPhail granted him permission. It was a remarkably tone-deaf decision, dealing with a fanbase who's already beaten down from years of losing. It's about pride. MacPhail could have made a clear statement of unity by denying permission, like the Mets did. (I'm assuming Johnny Damon wasn't asked!)

I also wish the O's were relevant enough to really be pissed about this.

I'm in the group that think this is a non-issue, but regardless of that, this is a very well-written letter that makes your point without being over-the-top as many on the boards here have been, I hope MacPhail reads it.

Totally agree! Who cares! It's a guy rooting for some friends. I know if I was in this situation, I would show my FRIENDS support. I'd have a problem if this was in the REGULAR season, but the O's, as always this time of year, went home. If a guy wants to show his friends love, so be it.

Have to agree with JTrea here. Don't know that there would be reciprocity here. The letter back from the Orioles seems to cite reciprocity/ mutual respect as a reason why we allowed Millar to do this, but we have no proof that this reciprcity even exists. Further I don't know that we even need to build up credibility with a team that we will not be trading with, with a team whose players insult our own, and with a team that to a man/woman (and maybe rightly so) believes they are better than we are.

I want to know what Millar says to Daniel Cabrera, who earlier this year was verbally bashed by Pedroia. What happens when Daniel asks whose back he's got.

Archived