My letter to Andy MacPhail (re: Millar)

Boy Howdy

Would those of you bothered by this feel different if it would've been a different team than Boston? If Millar would have been a former Indian would this have been your reaction? Or is it because they're in our division. Just curious.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I could be one of the cool kids and say this doesn't matter to me, but it does. As long as Millar is drawing a paycheck from the Orioles, he shouldn't be rooting for a division rival. I understand he's friends with those guys, but it's just a matter of self-respect for the Orioles. We already get invaded by their fans every year, do we really need Millar doing all this stuff?

I'm not upset that Millar wanted to do this, but I am disappointed that MacPhail granted him permission. It was a remarkably tone-deaf decision, dealing with a fanbase who's already beaten down from years of losing. It's about pride. MacPhail could have made a clear statement of unity by denying permission, like the Mets did. (I'm assuming Johnny Damon wasn't asked!)

I also wish the O's were relevant enough to really be pissed about this.

I can see this point though. (not that I feel that way)

They're about to talk about this on PTI on ESPN. 5:48pm

Golly! The "Orioles" actually wrote back this afternoon. I'm impressed by the quick response (others must be doing the same thing), even if it doesn't exactly quiet all my concerns.

Here's the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Orioles.

As a way of commemorating the Red Sox’ 2004 World Championship, Boston is acknowledging several "Heroes of '04" during first-pitch ceremonies. In addition to Kevin Millar, the Dodgers' special assistant/hitting coach Bill Mueller threw out the first pitch in Game 6 and Giants’ outfielder Dave Roberts is scheduled to throw out the first pitch during the World Series. Boston officials have called other clubs, including the Orioles, to ask permission to use those heroes now under contract with other teams for their special celebrations. The Red Sox asked for and received permission from the Orioles for Kevin to throw out the first pitch before Sunday's Game 7. In addition, Kevin personally checked with Orioles officials to ensure that he was allowed to partake in this special event.

We cannot forget that Kevin Millar was in a lot of ways the heart and soul of that World Series champion Red Sox team back in 2004. Kevin was in Boston as an Oriole, but also as a guest of the Red Sox and as a former Red Sox player. We all must understand his special history with Boston. He was asked to do this by the Red Sox and considered it an honor, and all appropriate requests were made to obtain club permission, which was granted. We would never question Kevin’s loyalty to Baltimore or to the Orioles, and we also would never begrudge Kevin, the Red Sox organization or their fans with this unique opportunity. If the shoe were on the other foot, we would certainly hope, and would expect, that the Red Sox would comply with a similar request made by the Orioles.

We appreciate your loyalty and support for the Orioles. We look forward to seeing you at Camden Yards in 2008.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX

Communications Assistant

Baltimore Orioles

So what if other teams granted permission? We shouldn't have. Plus, we don't need to be a part of any BOS celebration, period. We don't need to be pumping up the Sawx or their fans. BOS winning only hurts us.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Sun contacted me and I gave him a little interview of my position. He is going to potentially write an article about this situation and plans on including some of my thoughts...

Well, I think it's great that you got an opportunity to express your opinion to the Sun.

I just hope you didn't identify yourself with the OH, or else it might give the impression that we're all deranged anger-thumpers.

I also hope you didn't tell him that we should get Schilling ;-)

ps: How did he find you? Don't you live in Maine? Jeez, maybe the guy is looking for angry people, so he can have stuff to write about without much work...

Would those of you bothered by this feel different if it would've been a different team than Boston? If Millar would have been a former Indian would this have been your reaction? Or is it because they're in our division. Just curious.

It's the whole situation. The Red Sox Invasion + Millar supposedly being a clubhouse leader + division rival = irritated. It'd be a lot easier to swallow if it weren't the Red Sox. I don't even hate the Red Sox (as you know) - I just think it's a clear conflict of interest. The promo was OK, but the first pitch and the lineup were too much. And I'm more pissed that we granted permission. This is a pride thing for the Orioles.

Dear Mr. MacPhail,

I’m writing to express my disappointment with your decision to grant permission to the Boston Red Sox to invite Orioles first baseman Kevin Millar to participate in pre-game activities during the American League Championship Series.

Now, throwing out the first ball is innocuous enough, and perhaps that it all you expected Mr. Millar to do. However, as I’m sure you’re aware he also referred to the Red Sox as “we” on the FOX network and made a crack about “lending” the number 15 he wore in Boston to their second baseman Dustin Pedroia. I’m trying very hard not to overreact to this, but I hope you’re already exploring ways to send Mr. Millar back to Boston, or to Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay…anywhere but Baltimore.

The Orioles franchise brought you aboard to help rid itself of the “culture of losing” that hangs over the ball club like a cloud. Things like Millar’s behavior during the ALCS only reinforce the idea nationally that the Baltimore Orioles are a joke, not to be respected or taken seriously. The New York Mets were prescient enough to refuse permission to the Red Sox to even ask Pedro Martinez to participate. How I wish the Orioles had come to the same conclusion.

Even Terry Francona, the son of former Oriole Tito, seemed a bit perplexed by the chain of circumstances leading to Millar’s presence at Fenway Park. “He’s a member of the Baltimore Orioles. He’s going to be spurring on the Red Sox, and nobody’s going to say a word,” said Francona. Well, Mr. MacPhail, somebody –besides the Orioles most devoted fans- should have said something.

I will continue to root for the Orioles as I have all my life. I grew up in Baltimore, worked for the team as an usher at Memorial Stadium, and my baseball loyalties won’t ever shift. I feel strongly that it sends the wrong message to the fans and the younger players to have a member of the team actively cheering a division rival to a pennant, especially considering he’s paid very well by the Orioles to prevent that same rival from prevailing for six months out of the year.

Thank you for reading.

This is a very good letter!:)

Golly! The "Orioles" actually wrote back this afternoon. I'm impressed by the quick response (others must be doing the same thing), even if it doesn't exactly quiet all my concerns.

Here's the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Orioles.

As a way of commemorating the Red Sox’ 2004 World Championship, Boston is acknowledging several "Heroes of '04" during first-pitch ceremonies. In addition to Kevin Millar, the Dodgers' special assistant/hitting coach Bill Mueller threw out the first pitch in Game 6 and Giants’ outfielder Dave Roberts is scheduled to throw out the first pitch during the World Series. Boston officials have called other clubs, including the Orioles, to ask permission to use those heroes now under contract with other teams for their special celebrations. The Red Sox asked for and received permission from the Orioles for Kevin to throw out the first pitch before Sunday's Game 7. In addition, Kevin personally checked with Orioles officials to ensure that he was allowed to partake in this special event.

We cannot forget that Kevin Millar was in a lot of ways the heart and soul of that World Series champion Red Sox team back in 2004. Kevin was in Boston as an Oriole, but also as a guest of the Red Sox and as a former Red Sox player. We all must understand his special history with Boston. He was asked to do this by the Red Sox and considered it an honor, and all appropriate requests were made to obtain club permission, which was granted. We would never question Kevin’s loyalty to Baltimore or to the Orioles, and we also would never begrudge Kevin, the Red Sox organization or their fans with this unique opportunity. If the shoe were on the other foot, we would certainly hope, and would expect, that the Red Sox would comply with a similar request made by the Orioles.

We appreciate your loyalty and support for the Orioles. We look forward to seeing you at Camden Yards in 2008.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX

Communications Assistant

Baltimore Orioles

WOW! How did you hear back that soon from the Os? Are you secretly a player?:002_shappy:

It's the whole situation. The Red Sox Invasion + Millar supposedly being a clubhouse leader + division rival = irritated. It'd be a lot easier to swallow if it weren't the Red Sox. I don't even hate the Red Sox (as you know) - I just think it's a clear conflict of interest. The promo was OK, but the first pitch and the lineup were too much. And I'm more pissed that we granted permission. This is a pride thing for the Orioles.

I actually feel the other way around. I think just throwing out the pitch and smiling and waving wouldn't have been so bad. But doing the whole "pumping up" Red Sox nation promo thing and using "we" all throughout it really bugged me.

I actually feel the other way around. I think just throwing out the pitch and smiling and waving wouldn't have been so bad. But doing the whole "pumping up" Red Sox nation promo thing and using "we" all throughout it really bugged me.

Yeah, I'm just looking at them as discrete events. Do one of them, not all three.

WOW! How did you hear back that soon from the Os? Are you secretly a player?:002_shappy:

This looks like a form letter response. The Orioles probably have gotten a lot of the same complaints and whoever this communications assistant is was asked to draft a response that is now being sent to everyone who complains. Which is cool in a way. They didn't have to respond at all. But it's not like Andy MacPhail personally wrote out a personalized response in calligraphy or something.

This looks like a form letter response. The Orioles probably have gotten a lot of the same complaints and whoever this communications assistant is was asked to draft a response that is now being sent to everyone who complains. Which is cool in a way. They didn't have to respond at all. But it's not like Andy MacPhail personally wrote out a personalized response in calligraphy or something.

I think they probably wrote it in Wingdings.

I'll buy that, although I don't think this takes anything away from the kind of player or leader Millar is. It's a testament to him that Boston would want him to participate. Let's be honest, it's not like he's a perennial All Star.

I said it earlier, and for whatever reason the reading of the lineup was the only thing that bothered me if just a little. Normally networks have players or in College Football, alums of that team read the names of the players. It just seemed that Millar was a little too close to some of the guys. I'm not even talking about the guys he played with, those I understood, but the Pedroia's and Lowell's I didn't quite get him giving them playful nicknames.

My letter's going by snail mail.

I'll post the reply if I receive a different response.

Never heard back from Peter Angelos about putting Baltimore back on the jerseys, but Bud Selig sent a letter addressing my specific points (plus an autographed ball) when I wrote to him about Bonds.

(Thanks for the support everybody)

Archived