MD vs Pitt

adamwolff11

Good fight by the Terps tonight, they hung in there. This team is going to be there in the end. Fix the things that are in their control and they can beat some good teams. Heck, if the team was a little more poised down the stretch and didn't turn the ball over so damn much, as well as make a few more free throws, the outcome of this game could have and probably would have been different.

Overall I'm pleased with tonight's outing all things considered. Looking forward to tomorrow night and the weekend full of sports:

Friday: Terps vs. Texas/Illinois & Caps vs. Thrashers

Saturday: Terps home vs. FSU for a blackout & Caps vs. Flyers

Sunday: I'll be in Carolina for the Ravens @ Panthers

Monday: Start my two week vacation, what up?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, it wasn't a terrible showing considering pittsburgh has a deep, strong, front court, but man this game was awful to watch. Missed free throws, getting killed on the boards, and worst of all the <5 points game. I swear we always have these games where the point margin will stay around five and the team will never cut the lead by more. Usually always happens against these bruiser big east teams too.

A good effort, but a very sloppy performance overall. This is the only game I've been able to see so far, but I don't see anyone on this team that I'd trust with the ball in their hands when they really need a score. And if all else fails, opponents can always resort to the "hack-a-terp" strategy....free throw shooting may well be the ultimate demise of this team. They were rated a borderline tournament team by many, and nothing I saw tonight led me to believe they will be any better than that.

No' date=' not really. When you're out-rebounded nearly 2-1, you shoot 14% from 3-point range, and you can't even make half you're free throws, you aren't going much of anywhere....even if you don't turn it over at all.[/quote']

The fact that we're in it despite all that against a good team says a lot though.

They were rated a borderline tournament team by many' date=' and nothing I saw tonight led me to believe they will be any better than that.[/quote']

Really? Hanging with the #4 team in the country (and I think some would say outplaying) despite the negatives that everyone has mentioned doesn't do anything for you?

Tonight was about the best loss a loss could have been, for me.

The fact that we're in it despite all that against a good team says a lot though.

Pitt didn't shoot well and had some poor shot-selection at times. They also didn't handle MD's pressure well when the Terps applied it. That was about all that kept MD in the game during the 2nd half. That will get you by against some good teams, especially this early in the season.

Really? Hanging with the #4 team in the country (and I think some would say outplaying) despite the negatives that everyone has mentioned doesn't do anything for you?

Tonight was about the best loss a loss could have been, for me.

They just don't have the front-court depth to win against good teams. When Jordan Williams gets into foul trouble, they're really up the creek.

They just don't have the front-court depth to win against good teams. When Jordan Williams gets into foul trouble' date=' they're really up the creek.[/quote']

I agree with that. My point is that it was impressive to see them stay with Pitt despite their size disadvantage and despite the FT shooting. The front-court is going to be a problem all year and maybe the main reason why this team doesn't have that high of a ceiling; but what I saw tonight, especially defensively, was a team that can play with mostly anybody and upset some good teams. I'm fine with that in what is essentially a growing year.

I agree with that. My point is that it was impressive to see them stay with Pitt despite their size disadvantage and despite the FT shooting. The front-court is going to be a problem all year and maybe the main reason why this team doesn't have that high of a ceiling; but what I saw tonight, especially defensively, was a team that can play with mostly anybody and upset some good teams. I'm fine with that in what is essentially a growing year.

If they catch a good team on a bad night, then the Terps can out-hustle their way to an upset. We'll see if that happens often enough for them to make it to the postseason.

Archived