MD vs Pitt

adamwolff11

If they catch a good team on a bad night' date=' then the Terps can out-hustle their way to an upset. We'll see if that happens often enough for them to make it to the postseason.[/quote']

This is where we see things differently. Teams don't have bad or good nights in a vacuum. MD, like they did tonight, will cause teams to have bad games and thus pull some "upsets."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just don't have the front-court depth to win against good teams. When Jordan Williams gets into foul trouble' date=' they're really up the creek.[/quote']

How is there front-court depth any worse than last year? Sure, they lost Milbourne, but he was playing out of position anyway.

I was encouraged with the game last night. I get the feeling from watching at least a portion of all the Terp games this season that they are improving as they play. They definitely did well with the step up in playing level as far as I am concerned. There are some warning signs that may hinder them throughout the season, but I think to a man they all played well for the shirt. The free throw shooting is worrying, but right now I am choosing to be optimistic as I think this is the type of team that Gary can definitely mold and hit their stride come late Winter.

Pitt didn't shoot well and had some poor shot-selection at times. They also didn't handle MD's pressure well when the Terps applied it. That was about all that kept MD in the game during the 2nd half. That will get you by against some good teams' date=' especially this early in the season.[/quote']

Maryland certainly has some holes, especially in the front court where outside of Jordan they basically ave nothing (Padgett is ok), but they did play some very good defense and that contributed to some of Pitt's poor shot selections. Like most Gary Williams teams, they hustle and have slasher type scorers, but they lack that true 3-point guy.

I was encouraged with their performance last night but Maryland has to get deeper in the front court before they will go too deep in the touney. I think the Terps are going to surprise some people this year, but I also see some ugly losses as well, especially if Jordan gets in early foul trouble or fouls out.

Maryland certainly has some holes, especially in the front court where outside of Jordan they basically ave nothing (Padgett is ok), but they did play some very good defense and that contributed to some of Pitt's poor shot selections. Like most Gary Williams teams, they hustle and have slasher type scorers, but they lack that true 3-point guy.

I was encouraged with their performance last night but Maryland has to get deeper in the front court before they will go too deep in the touney. I think the Terps are going to surprise some people this year, but I also see some ugly losses as well, especially if Jordan gets in early foul trouble or fouls out.

I can see that being an issue quite often. If I were playing the Terps, I would definitely try to go right at Williams early in the game, see if I can't get 2 fouls on him and take him out early. Padgett is the one that really needs to step up this season. If he could make some marked improvement throughout the year, it would be gigantic for MD.

Generally agree, but I think having a player like Jordan makes up for a lot when it comes to frontcourt depth. He was pretty dominant on offense when he was able to get touches. And despite having to box out 3 black jerseys the entire game he still ended up with 8 rebounds.

That probably leads us to another point - why are the Terps letting opposing guards and swingmen box them out? Tucker, Gregory, and Padgett need to do a better job positioning themselves for rebounds. I recognize that, against deep teams like Pitt, it's going to be a challenge with only one really good post option, but we should be able to do better in that area as a team.

Archived