MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart

Arthur_Bryant

Wonder why we never got a chance to put in another bid? I'd bet 13 years of losing didn't help.

Martinez drew strong interest from "at least six teams," agent Scott Pucino said on a conference call with reporters. Martinez says Cabrera’s recruiting was "a good part" of his decision to sign in Detroit, but it wasn't the primary reason he turned down other offers.

"Bottom line, I just want to win," Martinez said. "I came here because I want to win. Anything that I can do to make this team better [and] win, man. I want to do it. I’m just really excited and I just want to win bad."

Martinez made it clear that he'll play any position the Tigers ask him to. Dombrowski says the 31-year-old will be the team's regular DH, catch two or three times a week and back up at first base.

source - mlbtraderumors.com

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:bs: If VMart just wanted to win he should have taken whatever offer Boston made him. That was his best chance to win. He wanted to win....and get at least 4 years.

This is just nitpicking, but I bet the odds of the Tigers making it to the playoffs aren't all that different than the Red Sox.

Easy there. Clever way of putting it, but you can't have VMart in two places at once.

When you've got VMart at catcher and Scott DHing, who is playing first base? Wieters? That's a stretch. My answer: replacementish player.

When you've got VMart at catcher and Scott playing first, you lose a lot of defense. Also, who is DHing? Wieters? Okay, not bad, but he can't play every day.

I granted that there is a little value to VMart being able to slide around, but either way you've got a Tatum-like player on the bench and, with VMart playing catcher, you're either sacrificing some defense, offense, or both.

There's a little value to it, but not much.

I think the original inequality holds. Rotating three players between three positions should only affect the defense (in theory), not the offense. So as you noted the issue is with drop off in defense. The biggest level of dropoff in defense is from replacing Wieters with VMart behind the plate. In the inequality listed, the only two first basemen were Scott and VMart. I don't know that Scott is particularly any worse than VMart, and likely to get better with increased playing time. It was stated earlier that Wieters did well when he played a significant number of games at DH without any days off so I don't think there is a concern with his offense in that situation.

If VMart is on the team I don't think you have a Tatum-like player on the bench. Maybe a Fox as an emergency catcher and all-around sub, but no need to carry a third catcher until September. If you want to give Wieters a day off completely there have to be other options to DH for a game or two, or else the team is in deep crap anyway.

And none of this matters since VMart signed with Detroit.

Archived