MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart

Arthur_Bryant

I have stated my opinion on this several times.

1. I think 4/48 was a very fair offer, especially considering it was made face to face and MacPhail left it open for renegotiating.

2. I think Martinez wanted to catch, not play first base, regardless of the team.

3. I do NOT agree that Martinez should have been our TOP target, but being that he WAS, then MacPhail should have done what was needed to get HIS top target.

To summarize, I do not blame MacPhail for not landing Martinez. I fault him for making him his top target to begin with!

Strange thing is that VMart will be mostly be a DH for the Tiger and a backup catcher. Its a wierd choice by VMart IMO. I want more information on why he selected the Tigers.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They offered the most money and he's BOYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZ with Cabrera.

Still a strange pick for a life long catcher with Boston, Chicago and Texas without starting catchers. Sounds like he cut off the bidding before it reached its peak. Someone in those three teams may have raised their bid.

I don't really care as VMart wasn't my favorite target. He probably went to the Tigers because he wanted to catch rather than he didn't want to play for the O's. That makes sense without slamming the O's ability to sign FAs.

It doesn't matter that he didn't want to come here.

What matters is that the Orioles made him their top target, and they couldn't land a top target again because AM utilized the same approach that hasn't worked for him yet while he's been Orioles GM.

MacPhail's negotiation style with free agents flat out sucks and he hasn't realized yet, or better yet may choose not to realize that it needs changing to get talent to a team that has lost for the past 12 seasons.

What's the definition of insanity again?

It doesn't matter that he didn't want to come here.

What matters is that the Orioles made him their top target, and they couldn't land a top target again.

MacPhail's negotiation style with free agents flat out sucks and he hasn't realized yet, or better yet may choose not to realize that it needs changing to get talent to a team that has lost for the past 12 seasons.

Can you PLEASE answer my question on the previous page?

Believing that WOW offers and wining and dining turn the Baltimore Orioles from the 15-year losers to a highly attractive free agent destination.

Or maybe it's the idea that you compete with big money teams by placing over-the-top bids for whatever free agents happen to be available RIGHT NOW.

Combine both and you're on the verge of something criminal.

Believing that WOW offers and wining and dining turn the Baltimore Orioles from the 15-year losers to a highly attractive free agent destination.

Or maybe it's the idea that you compete with big money teams by placing over-the-top bids for whatever free agents happen to be available RIGHT NOW.

Or you actually might actually get the talent you need to win games and go to the playoffs...

How's what we've been doing so far been working out?

It's time to throw caution to the wind. This team needs to do something drastic to win.

So far they've shown they aren't that desperate to win games and it's showing up with their offseason results.

ZING!!!!!!! :wedge:

Or you actually might actually get the talent you need to win games and go to the playoffs...

How's what we've been doing so far been working out?

It's time to throw caution to the wind. This team needs to do something drastic to win.

So far they've shown they aren't that desperate to win games.

Desparation breeds stupidity.

Archived