As the Derek Jeter Turns (Your Stomach)

JTrea81

I can't believe this is the guy they are choosing to nickel and dime after some of the ridiculous contracts we've seen them give out over the years...It's not the money aspect really..If the first reports are true (4 years instead of 3) I'm with him..These latest ones (that the agent is denying) are ludicrous, I agree.

But they didn't nickel and dime him. They offered him a substantially overmarket contract.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they didn't nickel and dime him. They offered him a substantially overmarket contract.

Valid, but again, it's the Yankees, where money doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

I'm not and will not deny that he's not worth even the $15 million they offered, let the record show. BUT, this is the Yankees, where an extra $5 million per is like you and I buying a large coffee instead of a small at Dunkin Donuts. All things being equal, yes, you're 100% right, but it's the Yankees, they're operating on a whole different stratosphere.

Valid, but again, it's the Yankees, where money doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

I'm not and will not deny that he's not worth even the $15 million they offered, let the record show. BUT, this is the Yankees, where an extra $5 million per is like you and I buying a large coffee instead of a small at Dunkin Donuts. All things being equal, yes, you're 100% right, but it's the Yankees, they're operating on a whole different stratosphere.

Yes and no. At some payroll point there will be a fan backlash. I have no idea where that point might be but at some point fans will go from just grousing about the Yankee's payroll to demanding something be done to reign them in.

Just because they can go to 300 million doesn't mean they will. I strongly believe that the Yankee's show as much payroll restraint as they can and still give themselves close to a 100% chance to make the playoffs every year. There is nothing in the rules keeping them from spending twice on the draft as every other team for instance, yet they hold back. They have not been linked to many of the big name international talent recently either. There was nothing in the rules keeping them from doubling the Red's offer for Chapman.

Yes and no. At some payroll point there will be a fan backlash. I have no idea where that point might be but at some point fans will go from just grousing about the Yankee's payroll to demanding something be done to reign them in.

Just because they can go to 300 million doesn't mean they will. I strongly believe that the Yankee's show as much payroll restraint as they can and still give themselves close to a 100% chance to make the playoffs every year. There is nothing in the rules keeping them from spending twice on the draft as every other team for instance, yet they hold back. They have not been linked to many of the big name international talent recently either. There was nothing in the rules keeping them from doubling the Red's offer for Chapman.

But it's so much fun seeing everybody whine and cry about the Yankees and how they "buy" championships. You really bring up some good points here, none that I disagree with...My point remains that this is a guy that in the new stadium, the monuments refer to this era of Yankee Baseball as the "Jeter Years".

As usual, the opinion of the "fans" is irrelevant. Yankee$ fans want those trophies bought, and don't much care much what they cost. The rest of baseball already loathes them, so who cares?

Now if the Yankee$ push the other owners too hard, that might mean something.

As usual, the opinion of the "fans" is irrelevant. Yankee$ fans want those trophies bought, and don't much care much what they cost. The rest of baseball already loathes them, so who cares?

Now if the Yankee$ push the other owners too hard, that might mean something.

Now see that I disagree with. The other owners don't mind the Yankees, the Yankees make them money. Now the Rays, Jays and Oriole owners might not be that happy about it but if you own the Marlins what not to like about the Yankees? Between revenue sharing, increased attendance when they are in town and the payroll tax the Yankees pay you have a lot of rea$ons to like the way the Yankees are doing things.

Look at the ratings for the WS when the Yankees are in it and when they are not. The other owners want a winning Yankees team. The National league teams do not care about competitive balance in the AL East, heck the rest of the American league doesn't care about competitive balance in the AL East.

Now if the media and the fans decide they are going to get up in arms about it then baseball will be facing a PR nightmare and will be forced to take action.

Now see that I disagree with. The other owners don't mind the Yankees, the Yankees make them money. Now the Rays, Jays and Oriole owners might not be that happy about it but if you own the Marlins what not to like about the Yankees? Between revenue sharing, increased attendance when they are in town and the payroll tax the Yankees pay you have a lot of rea$ons to like the way the Yankees are doing things.

Look at the ratings for the WS when the Yankees are in it and when they are not. The other owners want a winning Yankees team. The National league teams do not care about competitive balance in the AL East, heck the rest of the American league doesn't care about competitive balance in the AL East.

Now if the media and the fans decide they are going to get up in arms about it then baseball will be facing a PR nightmare and will be forced to take action.

Maybe so...but things are the way they are because of MLB's archaic, Rube Goldberg-designed revenue sharing "system" and because the YESPNESN-Fox media axis of evil likes having the Yankee$ on TV as much as possible. Those owners who are willing to take a smaller piece of the pie and blame their failures on the Yankee$ are lazy. Proper revenue sharing, a balanced schedule and no interleague play would eventually even out the playing field and make all MLB teams more profitable in the long run.

The media aren't going to bite the and that feeds them--or help kill the monster they've helped create--and NOBODY CARES WHAT THE FANS THINK until they stop spending money.

It seems Mr. Jeter and the Yankees are only...oh $80 million apart! :eek:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/11/26/2010-11-26_jeters_price_is_high____it_is_far.html

I especially hate the fact that this saga is now dominating MLB news now. Beltre, Lee and Crawford remain unsigned and all anybody can talk about is Jeter, Jeter, Jeter.

We agree on this!

Make him GO AWAY!:mad:

I usually don't take the side of management but if it's true the Yanks offered him 4-60 like I've heard then he's acting like a baby. He's way past his prime and while he is an icon in NY, he has to know that the Yankees will move on without him if they deem it necessary. It's been pointed out already but Babe Ruth and others didn't even finish up their careers in New York. I was talking to a Yankees fan before a class recently and he thought it was a joke that Jeter won the golden glove this year and that he's worth 7 million tops. For someone who has a reputation of being a team first guy Jeter certainly isn't acting the part. I guess I kinda understand a little where he's coming from since he's seen the contract that A-Rod and others got and he along with Rivera, Posada are three guys who have been there throughout the years.

Jeter has always been over-rated! I hope he signs with the Pirates! ARod should be the Yankee SS and should have been for the past few years.

Haha it would be funny if he became the Pirates SS and spend the remainder of his caerer in the NL Central cellar though part of me wishes A-Rod would stay at 3B. IIRC he's very close to Ripken's all time record for HR's for SS. Sentimental I know but this is a Cal Ripken record heh.

I hope Jeter becomes yet another big, thick pill to swallow.

If God has a sense of humor, the Yank$ will be choking on the ARod pill for the trailing 5 years of his contract, and they should overlap with at least 3 years of CC's contract.

Archived