Varitek out 4-6 weeks - trade Javy to the Sox

markpolis

Red Sox will use Ken Huckaby as back-up to Mirabelli but according to Boston Globe no one should be surprised if they try to pick up another big-league catcher. Javy listed as one of about 6 people they might be looking at:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/02/varitek_out_at_least_a_month/?page=1

I'd think they'd be drooling over Javy. At least he provides some offense (which they won't get from Mirabelli).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is major league baseball expanding it's roster next year? How many posts have I seen where we acquiring a guy to platoon at a position? We are gonna need an additional 5 spots or so just to keep all of these platoon players.

Just go add a real frickin player

Well, today they have the same roster count that was used in the late '70's and early '80's when Earl Weaver used to platoon John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke in LF. It worked than, and it could work today...

... unless you think Earl Weaver was wrong in doing so?

I was just saying that there is a lot of talk about platooning and we really need to just sign a real guy. Obviously, I realize that we can fit them in our roster.

Besides, we are a perenial 4th place team so some of those guys won't even want to play for us, especially as part timers. Cat hits 300 every year. Would you want to accept a part time role with Orioles when you hit 300?

I was just saying that there is a lot of talk about platooning and we really need to just sign a real guy. Obviously, I realize that we can fit them in our roster.

Besides, we are a perenial 4th place team so some of those guys won't even want to play for us, especially as part timers. Cat hits 300 every year. Would you want to accept a part time role with Orioles when you hit 300?

Yes when even in a part time role you'd be playing 100 games because you are the platoon option against RH pitching.

Another guy that may accept platooning at this stage in his career is Reggie Sanders. He hammers lefties (and could be an integral part of our youth movement! :P )

He could be a match with someone like Delluci in LF.

If Val ramps it up these last 2 months, I'd like to find a platoon home for him.

Yes when even in a part time role you'd be playing 100 games because you are the platoon option against RH pitching.

Seriously. He only has FOUR ab's versus lefties this year! FOUR!

Edit : David D's 4 year splits against us (more usefully at OPACY) are among his best. Insert Oriole pitching joke here.

Seriously. He only has FOUR ab's versus lefties this year! FOUR!

Edit : David D's 4 year splits against us (more usefully at OPACY) are among his best. Insert Oriole pitching joke here.

I really don't mind the Idea of platooning. However, I still think we can only afford to either platoon in LF or at 1B.

We need to get a big bat for whichever we don't platoon.

The best idea would be trade for a guy like Sexson in the offseason if he's available.

Then go with Dellucci or Cat in LF along with Cruz.

You could still get Choi, because you can let him DH every now and then. Not to mention use him to give Sexson or whoever the 1B is a day off.

Looks like we're now kind of straying from the original thread subject, but here's more on the BOS catching situation. This piece goes a little more into why BOS should be interested in Javy (they already have a Javier Lopez, now in AAA, so that would be interesting).

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/08/02/theres_a_catch/index.html

Is major league baseball expanding it's roster next year? How many posts have I seen where we acquiring a guy to platoon at a position? We are gonna need an additional 5 spots or so just to keep all of these platoon players.

Just go add a real frickin player

Problem is no "real frickin player" want to come here. So we have to do what we can which means maximizing their abilities.

Well, today they have the same roster count that was used in the late '70's and early '80's when Earl Weaver used to platoon John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke in LF. It worked than, and it could work today...

... unless you think Earl Weaver was wrong in doing so?

Teams had deeper benches and shallower bullpens then. Releiver specialization has just about killed any chance of having multiple platoons.

Archived