Ghiroli: Orioles may be interested in former Cub Theriot

JTrea81

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not terribly familiar with Theriot, but from some digging, here is what I have discovered:

He is 31 and a versatile middle infielder in the sense that he can play SS or 2B (which would be a good fit for us). And here is a scouting report circa 2009...don't know how credible it is:

Name: Ryan Theriot

Number: 2

Position: Shortstop

Born: 12/7/79

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

Height: 5’11″

Weight: 175

Debut: 9/13/05

Scouting Report: Theriot is just the kind of pesky hitter you want at the top of your lineup. In fact, he’s a perfect number two hitter as he not only makes pitchers work, he can also play small ball and move runners over. Theriot does a fantastic job working counts, making pitchers work to get him out and constantly draws walks (on-base machine). He is a shining example of a contact hitter and stays inside the ball very well which allows him to drive the ball to right and right center field. He has virtually no power at all but that isn’t his game so it isn’t a big deal. Very speedy on the base paths and a good base stealer. This really helps out the 3-4-5 hitters after him as the pitcher tends to become distracted with him. Then if they focus on the hitter, he’ll steal a base.

Theriot is a steady glove with steady hands at shortstop with a very smooth transition to the ball. Goes up the middle to track down balls in play much better than in the hole on the left side. Has the tendency to not charge in on balls which sometimes comes back to bite him on bad hops. He doesn’t have the best arm in the world but he is accurate on his throws. Not a flashy player at all, just an overall good guy to have on your team.

[source: The Diamond Cutter Blog]

From this limited information, I could get on board with this signing. He would be a good platoon guy and a definite upgrade from Andino.

I think people would love Theriot. He brings a lot of Brian Roberts to the top of the order - taking pitches, working counts, etc. And of course, a very nice OBP.
He's a decent fielder at both SS and 2B. Career average for 162 games: 284 .348 .356 .704

Getting back to this thread, I took the "very interested" actually from one of our posters in another thread:

This is a good point, and MLBTR is now saying that the Orioles would also be, "very, very interested in Ryan Theriot" if he were now non-tendered by the Dodgers. I say don't wait for Theriot to be non-tendered and get him in a package with Loney. I really like Loney, and am all about trading for him. Theriot would certainly be at least a little upgrade at ss and could likely fill that spot a couple years waiting for Machado.

I copied the link from MLBTR but didn't check the poster's wording to see if it matched, so that's my bad.

There was no intent to mislead or "push an agenda with a thread title," as I got neg repped for BTW.

But I think we all know AM is going to be "very interested" in a former Cub.

And they're a year or two apart in age I believe too. Wouldn't be too opposed to Theriot. Prefer Bartlett or Hardy but wouldn't be the end of the world if we got him.
Worse case, Theriot is an upgrade to Andino, if we can get someone better at SS. If not he's still an upgrade over Izzi, we can sign for a couple of years, until Machado is read.

Archived