Bowden: O's have made significant offer to Konerko

section36

Am I the only one who would rather have Luke at 1B than Konerko, Pena, Overball, Berkman, and maybe even Lee?

A lot of people have said that. I'm not among them. I have no idea what the stats show, but actually watching Luke play 1B last year showed he was awful there. I suppose he could get adequate there, but it would take a leap of faith to believe that would happen. If he doesn't DH, I'd much rather see him in LF than 1B.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The White Sox are hard to read regarding Konerko, but I'm sure they aren't going to match the highest offer. If Konerko wants to be in Chicago, he'll have to take a discount.

Take that for what it's worth, but that's the read I'm getting here in White Sox country.

BTW, it's another dumb move. Konerko is a streaky hitter and his numbers tend to fluctuate in and between seasons. He won't have another career year. AM needs to offer more money to Dunn to DH, get a 1B stopgap, and trade for Reynolds and either Hardy or Bartlett.

Here comes the softball of the day.

Why would he significantly decline it?

Because we significantly suck? Doubtful he'd want to spend his last couple of playing-years in the AL East cellar.

(I'm saying, that's how he'd probably see things...it's not necessarily my opinion that we'll definitely finish in fifth for the next 2-3 years)

......and????

Well like Tony Soprano said already, he didn't want to come here when we pursued him in 2005, or whenever. And I seem to remember the same thing. We made an aggressive offer, he took that offer back to his team and I don't think we had a chance to counter then.

I'd be inclined to think the same sort of scenario would play out. The Orioles' conservative tendencies in the FA market makes me think that Konerko could find a matching offer in a "better" locale.

If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure this is the player I want to see the team dropping significant money on. But hey, at least it'd be something. /shrug

The White Sox are hard to read regarding Konerko, but I'm sure they aren't going to match the highest offer. If Konerko wants to be in Chicago, he'll have to take a discount.

Take that for what it's worth, but that's the read I'm getting here in White Sox country.

BTW, it's another dumb move. Konerko is a streaky hitter and his numbers tend to fluctuate in and between seasons. He won't have another career year. AM needs to offer more money to Dunn to DH, get a 1B stopgap, and trade for Reynolds and either Hardy or Bartlett.

This. In his age 34 season (last season), he goes out and OPS's .977. His OPS was over .900 twice in his career before that, in 2005 and 2006 (age 29 and 30). Sandwiched in-between those seasons are .841, .742, and .842. While not terrible, it's not exactly what I want to see given in a long-term deal that's likely to end in his age 39 season.

A lot of people have said that. I'm not among them. I have no idea what the stats show, but actually watching Luke play 1B last year showed he was awful there. I suppose he could get adequate there, but it would take a leap of faith to believe that would happen. If he doesn't DH, I'd much rather see him in LF than 1B.

I agree a bit. I think he is better than Javy Lopez was. Having watched both Luke and Dunn play first base, I give the nod to Luke. But oh so slightly.

I won't cry if they gave him the Martinez money, but it would be a significant move and I have the impression that Mr. Angelos has more than enough money for himself and his family. Anything that is left over wile go to Philanthropy. To me, the Orioles would be a good place to put those extra millions. I am not in the will, but I would lead a better life if the Orioles improved.

Archived