James Franklin a candidate for Vandy?

OregonBird

I apologize if this is a repost but I read an article on ESPN that says JF is getting serious consideration for this job.

Its an "insider" article so I can't post.

Frankly, not sure how I'd feel about it. I'm not a fan of the prospects of him becoming the Head Coach at UMD.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize if this is a repost but I read an article on ESPN that says JF is getting serious consideration for this job.

Its an "insider" article so I can't post.

Frankly, not sure how I'd feel about it. I'm not a fan of the prospects of him becoming the Head Coach at UMD.

I hope he gets it. I'm not saying he's that bad of an OC, but I think the Terps need a chance to go in a different direction after Ralph calls it quits. That is the big downside of having a coach in waiting...

I hope he gets it. I'm not saying he's that bad of an OC, but I think the Terps need a chance to go in a different direction after Ralph calls it quits. That is the big downside of having a coach in waiting...

I'm saying that he's a bad OC. In fact, I'm saying that he's a horrible one.

The Terps were able to win games despite James Franklin, not because of him. His screen passes and ultra conservative play calling last year was terrible. When he did decide to go deep, it was usually bad timing. Plus, screen passes and runs on third and long get VERY tiring after a while.

The Terps were able to win games despite James Franklin, not because of him. His screen passes and ultra conservative play calling last year was terrible. When he did decide to go deep, it was usually bad timing. Plus, screen passes and runs on third and long get VERY tiring after a while.

Yeah, but how much is that James and how much is that Ralph? I remember Ralph's offense turning ultra conservative sometime after the McBrien era ended in the Gator Bowl in 04'. There were a couple of years there when Ralph was his own OC. James returned to be OC in 08' I think. We'll find out how good he really is when, keep your fingers crossed, he coaching Vanderbilt.

Yeah, but how much is that James and how much is that Ralph? I remember Ralph's offense turning ultra conservative sometime after the McBrien era ended in the Gator Bowl in 04'. There were a couple of years there when Ralph was his own OC. James returned to be OC in 08' I think. We'll find out how good he really is when, keep your fingers crossed, he coaching Vanderbilt.

Charlie Taafe, who Fridge brought with him in '01, was the OC through 2005. After 2 consecutive 5-6 seasons Fridge let him go. The offense did stagnate those years, but much of that seemed to be an issue of QB-play (Joel Statham, Ryan Mitch, Jordan Steffy, etc.). In 2006 Ralph took over the OC and play-calling and they went 9-4 (it was also Sam Hollenbach's second full season as starter). While the record was certainly better that year, the offense was very inconsistent...and it's been that way ever since, even with Franklin coming back.

So the 400+ yards against FSU and NCST were despite of Franklin?

I think a lot of fans are way too negative of Franklin. I don't know if it's because of how he appeared on Terrapins Rising, the offense from last season, of if they just associate him with Fridge.

But this offense put up a lot of points this year with a freshman QB and a patchwork OL. Last year we had two average (at-best) QBs and an even worse OL. Not exactly the best way to judge an OC.

I for one hope Franklin doesn't take that job because Vandy is a no-win situation. He's in a better place to do that here at Maryland, where he seems in line to eventually get the job, though I suppose that has changed some now that Debbie Yow isn't here to bless it.

I also think Franklin will make a very good head coach, and even do better than he did as an OC. If he finds someone else to call plays and run the offense and can simply oversee the program and run the overall show during the game I think he'd do really well. The guy seems well-organized and really smart and innovative. He's also really fiery and seems like the kind of guy who can lead a team on game day.

His biggest detriment hasn't been the plays, which are often really smart, but the way he calls them. But he's an absolute motivator, players love him, and he's very smart and aggressive. In terms of entertainment value I bet his games will be exciting (4th and 1 you know that punter is staying on the sideline), energized, and competitive. He's very much a leader and his playcalling and use of personnel has gotten better, though it's obviously still not perfect.

The Miami game, I thought, had a series of questionable calls. But he seemed to learn from those mistakes the next week against Virginia (short yardage, goal line areas, say hello to DJ Adams!) and helped guide O'Brien on a brilliant 2-minute drill against Florida State. Well, it was until that pass go to the 4-yard line, but still, for a freshman to do that to Florida state was impressive. And the NC State game I thought was called great. Up two touchdowns, and you can't run the ball? Even if everyone, EVERYONE (me included) thought they'd try to run anyway and milk the clock, he went playaction and Torrey Smith went 70 yards.

That's the sort of progress he's made this year in what has been his biggest deficiency as an OC. Very few head coaches call plays on the sidelines, and assuming he doesn't try to buck that trend (it would probably be a huge mistake) those are the reasons why I think he'll be a good HC here at Maryland. Plus, like I said before, Vandy is a place head coaches go to never get a job again.

Not really sure what I think about this. It would be nice to save that million, but Frank has done a solid job recruiting and has really progressed on the play calls. The last drive vs Miami was one of the wort things Ive seen, but hes improved. Not the biggest fan of his system, but the team has been winning games and the program is in the right direction. I don't want to stunt any possible growth with him leaving.

BTW, hes part of the final two candidates.

Yeah, I think most likely Malzahn will pass. But if you are James, do you take Vandy if offered or do you wait on Md?

Even with the $1mil buyout, it seems like there's still no guarantee he gets the UM job in 2012. I think if Vandy offers him he takes it.

I'm kind of hoping he does get the Vandy job. It would be a negative to lose the best recruiter on the coaching staff. But it will give the Terps much better flexibility after next season to decide which direction they want to go with the program. That, and I'm still not sold on Franklin as an OC. I think there are better options out there....as long as Fridge doesn't decide he wants to be his own OC like before. :puke:

Archived