James Franklin a candidate for Vandy?

OregonBird

Even with the $1mil buyout' date=' it seems like there's still no guarantee he gets the UM job in 2012. I think if Vandy offers him he takes it.

I'm kind of hoping he does get the Vandy job. It would be a negative to lose the best recruiter on the coaching staff. But it will give the Terps much better flexibility after next season to decide which direction they want to go with the program. That, and I'm still not sold on Franklin as an OC. I think there are better options out there....as long as Fridge doesn't decide he wants to be his own OC like before. :puke:[/quote']

That's exactly the way I see it. I'll miss his recruiting, but I also think if they bring in the right guy, the Maryland may be able to reach the next level. I'm not sure if James is that guy. Btw, Vandy is throwing $3 million at Malzahn.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's exactly the way I see it. I'll miss his recruiting, but I also think if they bring in the right guy, the Maryland may be able to reach the next level. I'm not sure if James is that guy. Btw, Vandy is throwing $3 million at Malzahn.

I heard about that, but I think Malzahn holds out for a better opportunity. Being the head coach of the only school that cares about academics in a football-first conference seems like a no-win proposition.

If I'm Malzahn, I pass. If I'm Franklin, I jump on it.

How do you replace Franklin? A few weeks ago I would have said Mike Locksley but it appears New Mexico isn't going to fire him. It seems like he's in way over his head there.

Locksley is a very good recruiter with close ties to the UM area. But I don't think he'd be an upgrade as an OC over Franklin. And once New Mexico finally decides to get rid of him, he'll be leaving with plenty of baggage.

Hmm, this brings about an interesting situation. Thus far, Franklin hasn't accepted assuming he's been offered. That tells me he really doesn't want that job and would prefer being the Terps HC. The problem is, Ralph is sounding like he wants an extension and JF doesn't want to appear as if he's trying to push out his boss.

It's a difficult situation for the AD. He's got a lame duck head coach without an OC and he won't be able to hire an OC without an extension. What does Anderson do? Does he give Fridge a 2-3 year extension enabling him to hire an OC? Or, does he up Franklin's buyout by $1M (or some amount), convincing JF to wait another year.

It appears there are 3 choices:

1. Do nothing- means no OC for the Fridge and potentially diasterous effects on recruiting.

2. Give Fridge a modest extension- Franklin could bolt b/c he won't be the MD HC anytime soon. This might hurt recruiting, perhaps not as much as #1.

3. Increase Franklin's walk money- likely keep Franklin, recruiting still might suffer b/c Fridge is a "lame duck". If Terps do well again next year, someone (RF or JF) likely gets the job.

I'm guessing #3 happens.

The fact that the Franklin/Vanderbilt deal hasn't been closed yet is curious...since he was pretty much the only candidate mentioned after Malzahn backed out. I wonder if the issue is money? Even though Vandy offers a head coaching opportunity, Franklin may want more money then they're willing to offer since he'd be walking away from a guaranteed $1 mil. Or perhaps there is something working behind the scenes to keep him at MD. I would have thought it would be done by yesterday if he was in fact headed to Vanderbilt. Maybe MD is trying to negotiate a smaller payout in 2012 if he isn't named coach by then, in exchange for more money in a year or two plus keeping the coach in waiting spot after Friedgen is gone.

What an awkward situation Yow put them in with this. :rolleyestf:

Archived