WNST reports Orioles have agreement with D. Lee, all other sources say nothing imminent

PlumOriole

Britt_Ghiroli

No. Thats great exaggerated. they arent close on him.RT @fearthenoodle @Britt_Ghiroli Any Derrek Lee rumors with O's?

Agree with Britt. I am sure they made an offer to Lee like they did to Dunn. The agent might have said would you go higher and the O's might have said yes. Does not mean it is good enough or even if the player wants to come here,

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drew: "Bird in a tree" tells me #Orioles think they've agreed with #DerrekLee. And yes, it's same "bird" that told me about Konerko offer.
That last sentence should tell you all you need to know. Remember this?
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail has had conversations with Konerko’s agent, Craig Landis. They have talked about the parameters of a deal and Konerko’s interest in playing in Baltimore. But to say Konerko’s camp is weighing this huge offer from the Orioles -- as has been reported -- isn’t really accurate.
Source - The Sun, Dec 3

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd like to get Lee, although I don't really believe WNST right now. They really seem to be tooting their own horn on Twitter though...

@WNST

WNST

@BaltimoreMurph Yeah, we've been wrong SO many times about #Orioles, right? Actually, we've been RIGHT 14 years now. Truth = pain 4us all!

I just don't see how WNST is going to be scooping MASN or the Sun with this stuff. Until I hear it from Roch, Jeff, Britt, or hear it from my sources I'll just consider the source. sounds like his "source" is taking info that's readily available out there and calling it a scoop.

The Reynolds thing has been out there including the fact that it was close so why not try and stick something out there on the first day of the winter meetings and hope it comes through?

I just don't see how WNST is going to be scooping MASN or the Sun with this stuff. Until I hear it from Roch, Jeff, Britt, or hear it from my sources I'll just consider the source. sounds like his "source" is taking info that's readily available out there and calling it a scoop.

The Reynolds thing has been out there including the fact that it was close so why not try and stick something out there on the first day of the winter meetings and hope it comes through?

I agree on this. Remember during Tex there were tons of rumors everywhere. Many posters were laughing at the beat guys saying they didn't know what they were talking about. Look who ended up being right.

If you want to get the scoop on what the Orioles are doing other than through MASN, Brit, or the Sun, your best bet is Rosenthal. Rosenthal may hate Angelos but he definitely still has contacts with Baltimore and is first on a fair amount of Orioles stuff.

I think I found WNST's source

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/member.php?u=17839

:laughlol:

From Jerry Crasnick

jcrasnick: There is some buzz in Baltimore that the Orioles are close to signing Derrek Lee. I just checked, and while the Orioles have talked to Lee's representatives -- and have some interest -- there's "nothing close.''

One thing to consider is WHY would Lee want to sign here?

If he does sign, I wonder that his thumb is not progressing well and he won't be ready for OD.

I would imagine that Lee was a fall back option for Boston if they didn't get AGonz. Now that that's off the table, the only contender who might have an interest is Texas. If the O's offered 2 years and more money he might be leaning to us.

From Jerry Crasnick

jcrasnick: There is some buzz in Baltimore that the Orioles are close to signing Derrek Lee. I just checked, and while the Orioles have talked to Lee's representatives -- and have some interest -- there's "nothing close.''

That should be enough to put an end to this. I expect BAL to be in talks with Lee all week, but I don't think there's anything close and I don't think there will be a resolution on Lee one way or the other in the next couple of days.

Archived