Carl Crawford reaches agreement with Boston (7yr 142mm)

sbauer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rather than do it myself, I'll just rely on Tango:

OK, so they overpaid. Mostly towards the end of the contract.

What are the consequences to the Red Sox for overpaying? They have the resources to do so. Will this make them cut down on their scouting department (which is already bigger than ours)? In 2016 when they are paying too much for Crawford you think that will stop them from going out and signing whatever free agent fits their need at the time (say Zach Britton?>)

The Yankees overpaid on a whole bunch of contracts (Pavano, Brown, etc). How has this adversely affect their ability to compete? If they hadn't made those foolish overpayments you think the would have won 120 games last year instead of what they did?

Are we supposed to take some solace that in 2016/17 the Red Sox will be paying a lot for very little production at one position? You think that will help us compete with them in any way?

I guess I just don't see the point of going through this analysis to see whether Boston or New York overpays for a player because I don't see them suffering any adverse effects from doing so.

Anyone have numbers on how many of his SBs came against Boston's easy to run on catchers?

Against any one team, Crawford has played the most games (144) and received the most plate appearances (639) against the Red Sox. He has 62 stolen bases career, with 4 CS. He has actually stolen more bases per reached base against Toronto than Boston, but not by too much.

Anyone think AGon will be excited to hit behind Crawford/Pedroia/Youk? Maybe with Ellsbury down at 9 and cycling through?

I don't think he'll take much convincing to re-sign...

I think he'll take as much convincing as he would have without Crawford.

I think he'll take as much convincing as he would have without Crawford.

Haha. Okay, well fair enough. Personally, I think he's going to enjoy the situation in BOS and would be hard pressed to find a better one as a #4 hitter, in no small part thanks to having Crawford there. It will certainly be a change from hitting in the Padres's lineup...

Haha. Okay, well fair enough. Personally, I think he's going to enjoy the situation in BOS and would be hard pressed to find a better one as a #4 hitter, in no small part thanks to having Crawford there. It will certainly be a change from hitting in the Padres's lineup...

Sure, he'll like having Carl on the same team but I think the main factor by far for him will be money with the next most important factors being winning and location. This helps the winning a little, but that was already quite appealing.

At this point, I could care less if the Yankees get Cliff Lee or not. If you listen to the Red Sox fans and ESPN etc, we might as well as just not bother playing games anymore and give Boston the trophy for the next five years.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-providence/end-of-the-evil-empire-red-sox-trump-yankees-with-bold-moves

And there are plenty of more of these articles out there. Boston's moves might have helped them "win" over the Yankees but for the rest of us,we're the real losers.

Archived