Rule 5 Draft Thread: O's select Adrian Rosario lose Pat Egan and Pedro Beato

Birds08

People only thought that because BA inexplicably put him as our #5 prospect. Honestly, it's one of the most surprising things I've ever seen BA do and had to be on some scout who saw him when he was with the Padres because the guy we saw at Bowie was a C-level relief prospect at best.

Also, can't we pull someone back once someone is selected? If I'm remembering that correctly, it is likely that we lost someone in the first round and then pulled back Pelzer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, can't we pull someone back once someone is selected? If I'm remembering that correctly, it is likely that we lost someone in the first round and then pulled back Pelzer.

You can't pull anyone back. That is a rule in the expansion draft though.

We could have kept losing players. The draft only ends when all teams pass.

I don't understand this comment.

They picked this Rosario guy, and he has to stay on the 25 man roster.

They lost Beato and Egan, presumably because they don't want them taking spots on the 40 man roster. (And they think that they won't stick I'm sure - but still a risk.)

So they didn't have room for 2 middle relief prospects on the 40 man (or even one of them), but they have room on the *25 man* for a guy out of A ball with not much experience?

UNLESS he's sent somewhere in a trade, then I see the logic of course...

They picked this Rosario guy, and he has to stay on the 25 man roster.

They lost Beato and Egan, presumably because they don't want them taking spots on the 40 man roster. (And they think that they won't stick I'm sure - but still a risk.)

So they didn't have room for 2 middle relief prospects on the 40 man (or even one of them), but they have room on the *25 man* for a guy out of A ball with not much experience?

UNLESS he's sent somewhere in a trade, then I see the logic of course...

I will explain this again. If we had added Beato and Egan to the roster, they would automatically go to the "bottom," meaning they would be one of the firsts to be taken off the roster should be need 40 man roster spots. If they are removed from the roster, they can be claimed by someone and kept on their 40 man roster with three option years. If we can keep Rosario on the roster, then someone could/should be able to stash those two for a whole year, but we will see. If they are returned to us, then they by-pass the 40 man roster.

With an overall 11.5 K/9 ratio, he is a very high upside guy, more so than Beato or Egan.

Now, there are plenty of other options I would rather have had over Rosario, but so be it.

Curious why Rosario over Rodriguez now that we are keeping him... I guess someone, maybe Buck?, saw Rosario pitch and said he could be ready to pitch in the bigs.

Player Name Stat Type W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 WHIP

Pedro Beato Minor 24 30 4.21 131 83 1 0 34 16 504 522 273 236 50 182 350 30 9.32 0.89 3.25 6.25 1.40

Aneury Rodriguez Minor 41 43 4.56 141 131 5 4 7 0 712 720 415 361 67 254 626 53 9.10 0.85 3.21 7.91 1.37

Adrian Rosario Minor 12 13 4.82 59 15 0 0 10 4 183 214 137 98 7 77 155 29 10.52 0.34 3.79 7.62 1.59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That looks like crap. Sorry. Here is the link comparing Beato, Rodriguez, and Rosario: http://thebaseballcube.com/players/compare.asp

AM's quote was "Interestingly enough, Milwaukee took one of our guys and we took one of theirs. That's a dynamic frankly we didn't anticipate. Interesting to see how the spring plays out."

So, why don't they go through the procedures to trade them for each other - so they aren't forced to keep them on the 25 man rosters? It'd be a win/win situation for everyone.

AM's quote was "Interestingly enough, Milwaukee took one of our guys and we took one of theirs. That's a dynamic frankly we didn't anticipate. Interesting to see how the spring plays out."

So, why don't they go through the procedures to trade them for each other - so they aren't forced to keep them on the 25 man rosters? It'd be a win/win situation for everyone.

If I'm Milwaukee, I would rather have Rosario.

But that doesn't matter if the O's like him enough; Milwaukee's not getting Rosario back.

How realistic is it that a guy who has limited time in A ball is going to stick on the Orioles' major league roster all year? Chances are good we'll be required to offer him back to the Brewers.

Archived