Boston after Javy

eric0668

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed the item in the paper and back on page 4 or something of this thread. Sorry!

I guess I'm still unclear as to how long someone is on the waiver wire and when someone has cleared waivers. In other words, could Javy be traded by tomorrow night's game?

He could be traded for tonight's games if he cleared waivers at 2:00 today. I doubt a deal will happen that quickly though.

There are rumors about a lot of things. I saw a rumor the other day that Muhammad was coming back in 2009 and bringing an army of flying monkeys with him.

I'll continue to hold my judgment until I see some reasonable evidence.

What?!! You mean it's just a rumor about the Flying Monkeys? We may still be in Kansas Toto.

He could be traded for tonight's games if he cleared waivers at 2:00 today. I doubt a deal will happen that quickly though.

Unless the O's and Sox have already discussed trade parameters and are just waiting for him to clear waivers in order to make it official.

Unless the O's and Sox have already discussed trade parameters and are just waiting for him to clear waivers in order to make it official.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but why would the Sox wait to work out a trade when they could just claim him off waivers? Maybe if they traded with us they feel we'd take on some of his salary in exchange for an Alvarez type player?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but why would the Sox wait to work out a trade when they could just claim him off waivers? Maybe if they traded with us they feel we'd take on some of his salary in exchange for an Alvarez type player?

We can pull him back off waivers if he is claimed. If another team claimed him, we would likely just let him go, to clear his salary. But since we know the Red Sox want him, we can make sure we get something for him, even if its just a low level prospect.

I think the way the process works is that if the Sox claim him, the Orioles can pull him back or work out a trade with them. Just because they claim him doesn't mean they get him.

It's funny....I read the Providence Journal article and it says "Over the last two seasons, he has also seen action at first base..." without mention of how poorly he performed there.

During the regular season, 1 game, 2 innings. That is the amount of action he has seen at 1st base.

source

By the same token, can we say that...

Lenn Sakata was an infielder/catcher/outfielder as an Orioles?

I think the way the process works is that if the Sox claim him, the Orioles can pull him back or work out a trade with them. Just because they claim him doesn't mean they get him.

In this new waiver period which began Aug 1, if a player clears waivers, then the waiving club is said to "secure" waivers. The club which has secured waivers may trade him to another club.

If he is, however, claimed by another club when waved, then that club picks up his contract. If more than one club claims a player on waivers, the claim goes to the club lowest in the standings. The waiving club however, may then revoke the waiver and reclaim him if they want. However, if they waive him again in the same waiver period, his waiver is "irrevocable" and they lose him to a claiming club.

Typically, two clubs will collude so that the club that wants him won't claim him in order for a pre-arranged trade to take place. Realistically then, it's just like any other trade, but the stakes are often somewhat lower.

After reading Roch's comments, it doesn't sound to me like the O's are going to put up too much of a fuss over what they get from Boston. It sounds like they really just want to get rid of Javy. Let's please just get this done and not waste time demanding too much money or too good of a player so that Theo gets pissed off and looks elsewhere. The Yankees won today, so there's no danger of them being able to block any of Boston's claims until at least tomorrow, depending on what happens tonight.

Archived