Would you give Pujols 10/300?

SrMeowMeow

Would you give Pujols 10/300?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Pujols 10/300?

Let's say Pujols hits FA next offseason after another typically historic season with no signs of injury, we win 85 games in 2010, and we don't have a long-term solution in place at 1B. He will be 32 in January of the 2011/2012 offseason, if my math is right. There are good odds Pujols becomes the first 300M player.

Do you pull the trigger?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No player is worth that much money.

Well, if you wanted to buy the production he's given over the last decade (about 73 wins above replacement) on the FA market, that's about how much it would have cost. Actually, a little less.

It's truly amazing that Pujols has already racked up 80 WAR in the first half of his career. He could retire right now and comfortably sit with some of the best players in the hall of fame. He is athletic enough that it's not out of the realm of possibility to see him accumulate 150 wins above replacement when he retires. In fact I think there's a good chance of it. He's even got a chance to top Bonds' 169 WAR.

By the way, to justify this contract from a FA market perspective, Pujols would have to be worth about 7 WAR a year for the next decade. I know it sounds absurd, but he's actually only fallen short of that mark once in his career, during his "sophomore slump" season, in which his defense took a slight hit according to UZR and he 'only' posted a .955 OPS with 35 home runs. There aren't too many teams who could afford that contract and still do what it takes to surround him with enough talent to build a consistent winner, but one of the higher payroll teams will get him and they will be very happy.

Contract talks aside, I just hope everyone truly appreciates what an honor it is to be able to watch Albert Pujols play baseball.

Well, if you wanted to buy the production he's given over the last decade (about 73 wins above replacement) on the FA market, that's about how much it would have cost. Actually, a little less.

It's truly amazing that Pujols has already racked up 80 WAR in the first half of his career. He could retire right now and comfortably sit with some of the best players in the hall of fame. He is athletic enough that it's not out of the realm of possibility to see him accumulate 150 wins above replacement when he retires. In fact I think there's a good chance of it. He's even got a chance to top Bonds' 169 WAR.

By the way, to justify this contract from a FA market perspective, Pujols would have to be worth about 7 WAR a year for the next decade. I know it sounds absurd, but he's actually only fallen short of that mark once in his career, during his "sophomore slump" season, in which his defense took a slight hit according to UZR and he 'only' posted a .955 OPS with 35 home runs. There aren't too many teams who could afford that contract and still do what it takes to surround him with enough talent to build a consistent winner, but one of the higher payroll teams will get him and they will be very happy.

Contract talks aside, I just hope everyone truly appreciates what an honor it is to be able to watch Albert Pujols play baseball.

At current rates, 30M is more like 6 WAR. I think Pujols could EASILY put up 60 WAR from 32-42, as insane as that sounds.

Can't we just say give him Harford County? Make everyone who lives there his serfs?

I'm sure Scottie wouldn't mind.

Initial gut reaction is no - but...I mean, someone is going to give the man a lot of money. It won't be the Sox, the Yanks have no room for him. That leaves the Angels, Dodgers, Cubs and Mets as the other big spenders.

Of course the Nats could offer him 11-ty bazillion dollars.

Archived