Lee headed to the Phillies

ThisIsOurHouse

Pitcher Cliff Lee closed in on a deal with the Philadelphia Phillies late Monday night, as his agent informed the New York Yankees and Texas Rangers that they're out of the running for the free agent left-hander.

ESPN's Buster Olney confirmed that the Yankees received word late Monday that they're no longer in the picture for Lee, while ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett confirmed that the Rangers have also been eliminated from the Lee sweepstakes.

espn.com

Not going to the evil empire :beerchug1::2yay-thumb::boogie::beerchug1::2yay-thumb::boogie::D:D:D

Today, in light of Lee opting to leave millions of dollars on the table and join the Phillies instead of New York, beat writer Randy Miller says that Lee's wife had a big part in this decision, "A good source tells me that Cliff Lee''s wife is the main reason he didn't sign with Yankees. She wanted NO PART of New York, i was told." And: "Apparently incident with Lee's wife had last fall with Yankees fans wasn't forgotten. Besides that, she's not fond of NY.

http://www.the700level.com/2010/12/cliff-lees-wife-reportedly-didnt-care-for-new-york-loved-philly.html

:laughlol:

I'm glad Lee won't end up playing for the First National Bank of MLB, but "leaving money on the table" is largely a misnomer here, as he'll be getting more per season if the numbers I heard are correct. The Yankees' seven-year, $150 million deal equates to $21,428,571.142857142857... per season on average, while the backloaded, five-year, $120 million deal the Phillies used to land him equates to $24 million per season on average. If somehow he's still near peak form by the end of the contract, he could easily "recoup" the "lost" $30 million with a fairly short-term deal at bargain money by comparison. Either way he's über-rich....

Also, thumbs down to Chad Dukes from WJFK-FM for basically saying Cliff Lee wasn't a real man because his wife figured into the decision and he "turned down more money." Of course, though, I'm talking about the same guy who minutes later characterized all football coaches as "jerks in khakis" when blabbing on Alosigate (my term, used derisively), fawning so much over professional athletes and their need to retain their ability to "provide for their families" (God forbid they should do have to do anything else at all after the age of 30 or 35 or so) that one wonders how many parties he's trying to "VIP" his way into. Dukes is a great embodiment of how much postmodern masculinity is based on meaningless posturing and willful ignorance....

It should be noted that with Cliff Lee, Philly's payroll is about 174 million....don't we bash the Yankees for this?

Don't get me wrong... HATE them with a passion... but one bully getting his dues doesn't mean much when two others ones with fans just as classless haven't.

Archived