O's sign Jeremy Accardo? (Rogers SportsNet)

TGO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Accardo back in the day. When B.J. Ryan got hurt he stepped into the closer role and did a nice job for them. I totally disagree with J.D. that this proves SG's point. This is what you get for $1 mm -- guys who were good three years ago, and who might have a decent year if you're lucky. It costs a lot more than that for a free agent who has a better than 50/50 chance of being decent like Gregg does. Probably not $6 mm, though (and it now sounds as if that report may have been off base in any event).

Some good potential upside to this signing. A guy like Peralta or Delcarmen would have been a better signing IMO but this has potential of being solid for us.

Exactly, there's a decent chance he might return to his potential, and if so we got him for cheap.

There's some upside here, but I don't get too excited about stats from three years ago. The fact is that sometime during or after that 2007 season or at the beginning of 2008, he got hurt, and he's never been the same. His 2009 stats look nice but 2010's look absolutely awful. Granted, Las Vegas is a tough place to pitch but a 1.73 K/BB ratio for a 28 year old who has been to the show is terrible.

But Frobby's right, this is basically what $1M buys you right now.

I liked Accardo back in the day. When B.J. Ryan got hurt he stepped into the closer role and did a nice job for them. I totally disagree with J.D. that this proves SG's point. This is what you get for $1 mm -- guys who were good three years ago, and who might have a decent year if you're lucky. It costs a lot more than that for a free agent who has a better than 50/50 chance of being decent like Gregg does. Probably not $6 mm, though (and it now sounds as if that report may have been off base in any event).

I dunno, I think he has a better chance of being decent this year than you're giving him credit for. Regardless, I'd rather pay a million for Accardo than $5M for Gregg, and I'd still be trying to find out what Delcarmen and Peralta cost. Even if Gregg pitches exactly as he did last year, you're still involved in somewhat of a crap shoot with him. We've seen relievers like Gregg blow up in the O's face repeatedly. Accardo might fall flat, but if he does, the cost is negligible.

Now, see? That right there is exactly what SG was talking about in the Kevin Gregg thread. Solid reclamation project, and won't cost the O's much if he doesn't work out.

Won't cost the O's much when he doesn't work out....except when he doesn't work out they have a hole in their pen and are left scrambling. Whereas if you sign someone who you know that is a good chance they will work out(ala Gregg) you aren't left scrambling for a reliever during the season.

Won't cost the O's much when he doesn't work out....except when he doesn't work out they have a hole in their pen and are left scrambling. Whereas if you sign someone who you know that is a good chance they will work out(ala Gregg) you aren't left scrambling for a reliever during the season.

But in the middle of the season, there should hopefully be someone on fire in the minors that could step up to the majors.

Solid gamble for $1M, but I would like the team to take the $1M and spend it on international prospects or the draft. I am not excited or upset about this though, how could anyone be angry over this sort of thing?

I think this spending money on the draft thing instead of free agents is getting out of hand.

The Orioles have plenty of money to do both.

Or they sign Gregg too to give them the added depth to resolve a scenario like the one you presented above.

Archived