O's sign Jeremy Accardo? (Rogers SportsNet)

TGO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Won't cost the O's much when he doesn't work out....except when he doesn't work out they have a hole in their pen and are left scrambling. Whereas if you sign someone who you know that is a good chance they will work out(ala Gregg) you aren't left scrambling for a reliever during the season.

Except, if Gregg doesn't work out, you're stuck with him. He's untradeable, and you keep trotting him out there because, hell, you're paying him $5 or $6 million a year. Also known as: exactly what we did with Danys Baez. And Baez was a reliever with an ERA+ of 99, 116, 128, 153, and 100 leading up to his contract. Gregg's coming in with 111, 123, 128, 95, and 119.

Would you rather sign Accardo for 1 million and have him cut by June or would you rather sign Gregg for 10 million and combine for a 3.90 ERA in the next 2 years?

Well if the offer for Gregg is say $8M over two years and he wants $10M then I would rather give him the $1M slated for Accardo and an additional $500k per to get it done.

* YAWN* Wake me up when they do something that even raises one eyebrow please . Another senseless signing that serves no purpose. Well, I guess we know where the money from the trades we've done went to. This way, when they are done for the offseason, MacPhail can say "See what all I did", and this deal didn't cost the Orioles a penny. They gained this money from another clubs. Hopefully this is just more to package in a deal to go somewhere else. Is this really all the kinds of moves this man is capable of?

* YAWN* Wake me up when they do something that even raises one eyebrow please . Another senseless signing that will do not good. Well, I guess we know where the money from the trades we've done went to. This way, when they are done for the offseason, MacPhail can say "See what all I did", and this deal didn't cost the Orioles a penny. They gained this money from another clubs.

How is this senseless?

Every time you take one step forward, you take two back.

* YAWN* Wake me up when they do something that even raises one eyebrow please . Another senseless signing that serves no purpose. Well, I guess we know where the money from the trades we've done went to. This way, when they are done for the offseason, MacPhail can say "See what all I did", and this deal didn't cost the Orioles a penny. They gained this money from another clubs.

Instead of just continuing your same-old, same-old banter, how would you improve the bullpen?

As long as this is a minor league split contract then I'm fine with it, but if it's gaurenteed, I don't get it at all. AAA lefties hit .341 off him and his 15-26 BB-K ratio in 44 innings doesn't scream out he got his stuff back. He gets some ground balls but it's not extreme so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table other than depth. If this is the kind of guys that are $1 million guys sign me up for some Gregg at $4mil per....

I'm not sure Accardo is significantly different from Gregg - other than he hasn't been used as a closer (as much) in the majors. His ML stats are comparable. He's got a lifetime 3.96 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 209 innings. Gregg has a 4.04 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 535 innings.

I prefer Albers also. What ever became of the Gregg deal? We'll do 2 of these type of deals, and wonder why Gregg signed elsewhere. Seen this episode before.

Really? I've seen the episode where we sign high-priced relievers and watch them fail before. I mean, it'd be nice to purge Danys Baez from my memory, but I can't. And Mike Gonzalez is sitting RIGHT THERE.

Would you rather sign Accardo for 1 million and have him cut by June or would you rather sign Gregg for 10 million and combine for a 3.90 ERA in the next 2 years?

Now that we know the ink isn't exactly dry on the Gregg deal, I don't feel like getting too far out on a limb on these hypotheticals. However, 130 IP at 3.90 ERA over 2 years is probably worth $6-10 mm.

Archived