Anderson Backs off his committment to Fridge in 2011

accinfo

In a teleconference this afternoon Kevin Anderson said he he WILL not commit TODAY to Ralph returning in 2011. That he will announce a decision next week. Also Ralph was a no show at his weekly press conference today. Illness was the reason given. Wow, interesting developments.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could it be that he's giving Ralph and extension and didn't want to spoil what's in the presser? I can't imagine that he would commit to Ralph, then get rid of him. That just doesn't make any sense.

The possibility of Franklin leaving wasn't there when he made that commitment. Maybe now that he's saved $1 million he is better able to do what he wanted to do all along....change the entire coaching staff.

It would make no sense for KA to make that statement just so he doesn't spoil the surprise of an extension. All he would have had to say is "I remain committed to Coach Friedgen for the 2011 season, and will address the future beyond that at another time." But he didn't. What do you think this statement says to recruits that are considering UM right now? How about assistant coaches that might have an offer on the table from Franklin to join him at Vanderbilt? Believe me, KA is considering a change.

The possibility of Franklin leaving wasn't there when he made that commitment. Maybe now that he's saved $1 million he is better able to do what he wanted to do all along....change the entire coaching staff.

It would make no sense for KA to make that statement just so he doesn't spoil the surprise of an extension. All he would have had to say is "I remain committed to Coach Friedgen for the 2011 season' date=' and will address the future beyond that at another time." But he didn't. What do you think this statement says to recruits that are considering UM right now? How about assistant coaches that might have an offer on the table from Franklin to join him at Vanderbilt? Believe me, KA is considering a change.[/quote']

Dead on analysis. Also Ralph being sick and not being at this conference? That doesn't pass the smell test.

Dead on analysis. Also Ralph being sick and not being at this conference? That doesn't pass the smell test.

And I'm not saying that I think Fridge is definitely out, but this doesn't bode well for him at all. And if they do end up just extending Fridge, there's going to be some damage control that has to be done because of this teleconference.

ESPN's Joe Schad expands a bit further.

Maryland is strongly considering asking head football coach Ralph Friedgen to retire and accept a buyout, according to multiple sources.

Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson said Friday he would not address whether Friedgen was guaranteed to return in 2011. Anderson was addressing reporters on the departure of James Franklin, who took the head coaching job at Vanderbilt on Friday.

At one point during this season, Maryland told Friedgen he could return next season, but the coach has been pushing for a contract extension.

Franklin had been Maryland's coach in waiting. At least three Maryland assistant coaches are aware of the likelihood Friedgen will not return for next season and have committed to follow Franklin to Vanderbilt.

Sources said that former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach would be the leading candidate to replace Friedgen if he is forced into retirement, with former Washington coach Tyrone Willingham and current New Mexico coach Mike Locksley also candidates for the job.

Franklin's departure means that Maryland won't have to pay $1 million if he was not named head coach by the end of next season, giving the school some financial flexibility in looking for a possible replacement.

NO to Willingham, and HELL NO to Locksley. If KA hires Locksley he needs to have his head examined. How does a 2-22 record at New Mexico warrant consideration for the job at Maryland? I don't care about his local ties, he hasn't gotten the job done at a mid-major....and he's built up some baggage at NM too.

Here's an interesting dilemma. If this ends up headed where it appears to be, who coaches the bowl game? They're already down an OC, and possibly 3 or 4 assistants. I'd assume they will want Fridge and whomever is left to coach the Military Bowl....and while it would be a bitter pill for Ralph to swallow I'd assume he'll do it. Otherwise UM could fire him with cause if he refuses to coach and Fridge would lose the remaining $2 mil he's owed. But they will end up being short-staffed. I don't see any way Anderson could have secretly hired a new head coach and staff that would be ready to take over and coach a game in less than 2 weeks.

It is going to be very hard to move Fridge.

While it is true that with Franklin now leaving, there is $1M more to play with... it still seems unlikely the Terps would want to buy out Fridge and hire someone new.

Are there than many donors willing to pony up to remove Fridge? With the improvement this year, (and Fridge being the ACC COY) I'm guessing no.

Also, if Anderson's intent was to remove Fridge all along... you would think he would have mentioned that to Franklin, before Franklin left...

I'm guessing Fridge will return, and is provided with a 2-3 year extension.

If that's the case, then Kevin Anderson used very poor judgement and wording today. Like I said, if this ends up with Friedgen coming back with an extension, I think there will be some damage control to be done....especially with recruits.

As for mentioning this to Franklin, maybe Anderson didn't want him to be the head coach either? Maybe Kevin Anderson wants his own guy?

Also, if Anderson's intent was to remove Fridge all along... you would think he would have mentioned that to Franklin, before Franklin left...

I'm guessing Fridge will return, and is provided with a 2-3 year extension.

No, I think this is playing out just like Anderson wanted. He wanted Franklin to leave because he didn't want him to ever be the head coach, I feel like that has been clear all along. Now, Franklin has left and freed up that $1 million that Anderson was going to use to buy him out when he was about to become head coach.

Anderson has the cash on hand now (or close, I guess) to go get another coach that he wants.

If we hire the guy from New Mexico, I'm going to absolutely flip. If you can't win 3 games in 2 seasons there, you should be fired, not promoted.

I have no idea how reputable a source this is, but:

http://www.thestn.us/

A media source close to the Maryland football program told the STN, that former Texas Tech head coach, MIKE LEACH, is in negotiations with MARYLAND about becoming their offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting when RALPH FRIEDGEN retires...

The source also stated that Leach will probably not join the team until after their MILITARY BOWL contest against EAST CAROLINA on December, 29TH... This all of course became possible when former MARYLAND OC JAMES FRANKLIN took the Vanderbilt head coaching job and took 4 members of the 2010 MARYLAND STAFF WITH HIM TO VANDY. STAY TUNED TO THE STN FOR ALL INFO RELATED TO THE MARYLAND PROGRAM...

And the all CAPS was not my writing.

I have no idea how reputable a source this is' date=' but:

http://www.thestn.us/

And the all CAPS was not my writing.

Chick Hernandez saying that it's done or will be soon:

http://twitter.com/#!/CHICKatCSN

If we get Mike Leach I will be ridiculously happy. I trust nothing about that source though. I'm sure they're interested in him... but will he be interested in MD?

Locksley is only being mentioned because of his ability to recruit... stories on him are crazy... not a legitimate guy.

If this goes through, I have to believe the Birds of Bmore link below shows the deal with Leach was already in the works...

Very interesting...

A new hire will have to work hard to keep the existing recruits...and build his own staff.

Very true. Which is why I tend to think there is something to the Leach discussion. If they're going to force Friedgen out, after saying he'd be back in 2011 and winning ACC COY, then it would need to be for someone with a pretty big name. And there aren't many bigger names out there right now than Mike Leach. He would have instant credibility with the current recruits (as long as none of them are related to an ESPN analyst ;)) and, don't underestimate this factor, he will probably help sell season tickets and skyboxes. His prior affiliation with Under Armour can't hurt either.

Archived