Royale: LaRoche bid made

Carllamy

Tino averaged 27 HRS and 102 RBIS in 16 seasons in the majors. He ended with a .271 lifetime batting average. Not saying he would be a first ballot entry, but there would be reason for argument that his numbers could land him in Coperstown yes.

Tino Martinez will never make the Hall of Fame. He doesn't have 2,000 hits. He doesn't have 350 home runs. He doesn't have 1,300 RBI. His most similar player is Lee May.

But, anyway, I'm on board with getting LaRoche, and I don't think it really matters that much if the deal is for two or three years.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tino averaged 27 HRS and 102 RBIS in 16 seasons in the majors. He ended with a .271 lifetime batting average. Not saying he would be a first ballot entry, but there would be reason for argument that his numbers could land him in Coperstown yes. Now I'm sure that's a whole entirely diffrent debate,and before this goes completey off topic. Laroche is not a automatic to be a All Star, but he's also not a automatic to fall on his face within 3 years either.

That math doesn't seem right - he ended up with 339 HR and 1,271 RBI in 16 seasons.

Oh, I see, those are his 162 games averages - those are kind of meaningless for HOF purposes.

See, you've already limited me to not be able to pick anyone that is deemed a star, no one that played between '95-2008. What's to say that Laroche couldn't be a star. If he produces what he has lately, then that's all you can expect for $7-8 million a year. We signed David Segui for 3 years at $21 million a few years back, and I'm quoting someone else that posted this, but "A partial season ticket holder saw more home games than Segui in that 3 year stretch". No-one is expecting Laroche to bang out 50 HRS, nor do I put him in that class. Only the naive would not expect a player to deline as he gets older. No-one is trying to say he has a cape hidden under his jersey. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect him to drop off the table as it has been made to sound like he will after 2 years of a 3 year deal.

It was 4 years, $28m. No other team offered him a 4 year contract until Sid Thrift came along and did so. Despite the warning signs out there that Segui, prior to his contract year, had only played in 70% of the games over the 1996 to 1999 season due to nagging injuries.

And to top it off, the team gave the Indian their 2nd round pick for signing Segui.

Tino averaged 27 HRS and 102 RBIS in 16 seasons in the majors. He ended with a .271 lifetime batting average. Not saying he would be a first ballot entry, but there would be reason for argument that his numbers could land him in Coperstown yes. Now I'm sure that's a whole entirely diffrent debate,and before this goes completey off topic. Laroche is not a automatic to be a All Star, but he's also not a automatic to fall on his face within 3 years either.

Good to know that the concept of "average" eludes you as well.

I agree with that statement - but I think 3/16 would actually be playing a little bit less than his value.

Yes. He almost has to be worth at least 5-6 WAR over three years. So anything south of 20MM would be good value.

It's just that 5-6 WAR out of 1B over a three-year period isn't really anything to do backflips about.

He's better than Wiggy. Way better than Garrett Atkins. That's it.

Hypothetical. Let's say it is a 3/16 deal. You said you would do 2/14. You wouldn't pay an extra 2M for that 3rd year?

No...I actually value that roster spot more than the 2M. Not to mention, I would suspect that we could get the production he will give us in that third year for 500K-1M.

No...I actually value that roster spot more than the 2M. Not to mention, I would suspect that we could get the production he will give us in that third year for 500K-1M.

If we wanted that roster spot we could trade him before the third year. We could actually get something in return as he would only cost the team acquiring him 2M.

What do we care about the third year so much? We can cut him and eat the contract it isnt so much money as to cripple us. Or we could trade him when the time comes. Its not our money I say give it to him and forget about it.

You guys really want to chance getting stuck with Luke Scott there?

Its the third year though.

I would rather give him 2/14 than 3/16-18.

If we are giving him $14M for the first two years, then giving him $3M/$4M for the third years is a deal I would make. It is all risk/reward. LaRoche should have at least some trade value as well so if we need to deal him before the third year then we should get something solid back in return. We shouldn't have to eat the salary. If the Orioles front loaded the contract they would help themselves even more.

If we are giving him $14M for the first two years, then giving him $3M/$4M for the third years is a deal I would make. It is all risk/reward. LaRoche should have at least some trade value as well so if we need to deal him before the third year then we should get something solid back in return. We shouldn't have to eat the salary. If the Orioles front loaded the contract they would help themselves even more.

How much is a sub 800 OPS first baseman who is owed 6-8 million worth in a trade?

Archived