If Leach is hired, what do you expect to see in '11?

OregonBird

As for Torrey, I think he's gone but bringing in Leach could make a difference. He's going to get more looks in Leach's offense then he was ever going to get with Franklin and Ralph.

It won't matter who the coach is. Torrey Smith's decision will be based strictly on his projected draft spot vs how much higher he could go by returning....with a little bit of NFL labor issues sprinkled in.

John-OH, yeah Leach typically averaged 8-4 win season, but he also had limited talent. I personally feel he'll have better access to athletes at MD than he did at Texas where he was getting fourth or fifth pick of the recruits, although Texas puts out a lot more studs than this area does.

Leach is not much of a recruiter. His classes were always lower than Ralph's, and players in Texas are far and away better than the ones around this area. So if this guy is not getting top players from Texas, what makes you guys think he's going to start beating schools like Florida and Va Tech for players here?

Leach is not much of a recruiter. His classes were always lower than Ralph's, and players in Texas are far and away better than the ones around this area. So if this guy is not getting top players from Texas, what makes you guys think he's going to start beating schools like Florida and Va Tech for players here?

Have you seen Lubbock? In Texas, TT was at best the 4th or 5th option for kids. You had Texas, A&M, OU, OKST, LSU, Arkansas, other B12 schools, some B10 schools coming down, other SEC schools.

MD is a more attractive location that TT, we have more resources to allow Leach to hire recruiters (Locksley!), and we're going to offer a brand of football that no one on the east coast has. Yeah we'll lose some kids to VT and FSU, but every school loses some kids. Hell, we've beaten VT out for kids the past couple of years and that was with Ralph as the HC.

It won't matter who the coach is. Torrey Smith's decision will be based strictly on his projected draft spot vs how much higher he could go by returning....with a little bit of NFL labor issues sprinkled in.

The decision really comes down to Torrey and his family's situation. From what I've heard, he'll be leaving. The only thing I said earlier was that Leach's system might be able to bump his draft stock, but I don't think that matters.

Have you seen Lubbock? In Texas, TT was at best the 4th or 5th option for kids. You had Texas, A&M, OU, OKST, LSU, Arkansas, other B12 schools, some B10 schools coming down, other SEC schools.

MD is a more attractive location that TT, we have more resources to allow Leach to hire recruiters (Locksley!), and we're going to offer a brand of football that no one on the east coast has. Yeah we'll lose some kids to VT and FSU, but every school loses some kids. Hell, we've beaten VT out for kids the past couple of years and that was with Ralph as the HC.

Drink the Leach Kool-Aid, man. Texas Tech's place in college football isn't all that different from Maryland's. It'll be fun games and some mid to lower tier bowls for the Terps. Maybe every few years the'll contend for an ACC Championship game appearance. But the idea that this is going to turn the Terps into a regular ACC juggernaut is silly. Leach's teams have never done that.

Oh, and Maryland puts far fewer resources into football than any school in the Big 12 does. Hell, they put fewer resources into football than any other ACC school does. It's fine if you want to put higher standards on the program, but you have to start with the committment at the top first and it just hasn't been there at Maryland. Maybe that'll change. But so far it seems like Ralph was held to a higher standard than the school has held itself when it comes to football.

Oh, and Maryland puts far fewer resources into football than any school in the Big 12 does. Hell, they put fewer resources into football than any other ACC school does. It's fine if you want to put higher standards on the program, but you have to start with the committment at the top first and it just hasn't been there at Maryland. Maybe that'll change. But so far it seems like Ralph was held to a higher standard than the school has held itself when it comes to football.

That was before when we had Debbie "all that matters is non-revenue" Yow. The times they are a changing my friend.

Just to expand, Leach is being brought here by Plank/UA. They're not going to just bring him here and then not give him the resources to succeed. Leach alone will bring excitement back to MD FB and bring in much needed revenue that we haven't seen in years. And the new administration seems to understand that FB/athletics is a great vehicle to promote the university.

As brotherlo states, you're talking about a previous administration. Give Kevin Anderson another year and then see what kind of resources he's willing to put into the football program.

The general rule in college sports is that you can win in any sport if you're willing to throw enough money at it (see: Oregon football). Now to win at the revenue sports, especially football, it takes exponentially more money than the non-revenue sports. Yow knew this, and she chose to spread the smaller dollars among the non-revenue sports and MD had some pretty good teams that won championships. But you can win championships all the livelong day in non-revenue sports and you aren't going to make a dime more than you would otherwise. Put the resources into football, win there, then the more money comes in to help your non-revenue sports....a rising tide lifts all boats. We'll see if Kevin Anderson gets this. He's definitely putting himself on the line here. But that's good.....I didn't want a new AD who would have been happy with the status quo.

So Ralph pushes and pushes for someone to do exactly what Kevin wants to do, apparently, wins coach of the year and all he gets for it is to set up his successor to get credit for what he built? The guy goes 8-4 with barely any help from the rest of the Athletics Dept. and now that the school wants to invest in the program they shove an alum aside so gracefully?

I'm still on the fence about renewing my season tickets now. A week ago I was a lock. Whoever takes over better get them to the ACC Championship game. The team is good enough next year to get there.

So Ralph pushes and pushes for someone to do exactly what Kevin wants to do, apparently, wins coach of the year and all he gets for it is to set up his successor to get credit for what he built? The guy goes 8-4 with barely any help from the rest of the Athletics Dept. and now that the school wants to invest in the program they shove an alum aside so gracefully?

I'm still on the fence about renewing my season tickets now. A week ago I was a lock. Whoever takes over better get them to the ACC Championship game. The team is good enough next year to get there.

Damn John, Debbie Downer much? Lol.

I think you are greatly underestimating the talent that the state of MD has and that the University of MD has not capitalized on. Of course it is nothing compared to Texas but as has been already stated, Leach had to fight with Texas, Oklahoma etc. I think at the very least you will see some of the best players in the state wanting to come to MD to play for Leach. That in itself is a huge win for MD, It's fans and it's talent level.

In terms of Torrey Smith, I think the NFL's collective bargainning agreement is going to play a HUGE part in how many Juniors come out. I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the negotions go south as predicted, that many if not most of the top juniors in the country come back for their senior years. If that does happen then the 2012 NFL draft will be among the deepest ever!

The team is better off in the long haul switching horses now. How long were you willing to commit to Ralph? It's unpleasant and definitely wasn't handled in the best way, but I think it was the right move to make.

I don't like to take anything away from the team this year, but we benefitted a lot from a down ACC. We also benefitted from a favorable turnover differential which tends to even out from year to year. Our schedule is a lot tougher next year (non- conf: ND, Temple, WVU/ coastal opponents: miami/GT/uva, road games: FSU/NCSTGT) as well.

If Kevin Anderson wants to sink more financial resources into football, then it's his prerogative to do it with a head coach that he picked and is comfortable with. Obviously he never established that with Friedgen. I feel as bad as anyone for Ralph right now, but I certainly understand the purpose behind what Anderson is doing here.

Archived