Roch: LaRoche is clearly waitint for a better offer or sorting through identical ones

ChaosLex

If true, I think it's time to move on. Just my two cents.

Assuming that Adam LaRoche is sitting on a three-year offer in the vicinity of $21 million, he clearly is waiting for a better offer or sorting through identical ones. You'd think that a guy who settled for a one-year deal last winter and didn't spend last month sorting through all of his MVP votes would jump at that kind of cash.

Should the Orioles be developing a complex here?

Do they already have one?

I'm not aware of any imposed deadlines, but if I'm MacPhail, I'm giving LaRoche a cutoff date. And then I'm making an ultra-aggressive play for Derrek Lee or Vladimir Guerrero.

If Guerrero agrees to a contract, I'm shipping a first baseman's mitt to Luke Scott - assuming he receives mail in his tree stand - as a reminder that he needs to get more comfortable at the position. I'm including a map of Sarasota and a razor.

I'm also signing Jorge Cantu to back up at the infield corners. And I'm feeling a whole lot better about my bench.

He gets a deadline, too. And I'm reminding him that he's Jorge Cantu.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/12/ok-so-what-about-today.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If true, I think it's time to move on. Just my two cents.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/12/ok-so-what-about-today.html

I agree 100% with every single word Roch says here.

Offensively we'd be better off with Scott at first and Vladdy DHing anyway, I am just a bit afraid of Scott's fielding. But at this point, I say screw you LaRoche, we do it ourselves!

If Roch's opinion reflects reality (i.e. LaRoche really is waiting around for a better offer), and in light of Lee's whispered-about (though not openly stated) aversion to signing here, I say to Hell with Lee and LaRoche.

I'd still like to see the tires kicked on Quentin (I've posed the question to Roch, Connolly and Zrebiec over the last week or so, and none of them had heard any talk of Quentin, apparently). Failing that, I'll agree with those who say try to get Vlad. I'd be kinda shocked if money was enough to motivate him to move East and forgo a playoff run in what almost certainly has to be one of his last years in MLB, but whatever. Make the effort.

In closing: Dunn s--- d--- f--- blah. Is ST here yet?

I think we should be looking in a different direction, anyway. The only guy in that whole blurb from Roch that interests me is Lee.

I agree with MrOrange here. I think we should start looking at some creative trade ideas. Quentin wouldn't be a bad guy to target. I'm wondering if there are some other guys out there who might be available in a salary dump?

Meh. So long as we're not being foreclosed from pursuing other options, then MacPhail can exercise his legendary patience. It's not great for my psyche, but it's the end result that matters. Of course, MacPhail has to be aware of what his alternatives are, and if he feels they are about to slip away, then he forces LaRoche to make a decision.

LaRoche is trying to slow-play the field here, waiting for someone to blink. Lee is doing the same thing. I get the feeling that both want to use each other's contract as a basis for their own.

There is no "big" team out there vying for either of their services and the teams that are asking are the ones you are going to get.

Basically there is no real reason for Lee or LaRoche to hurry the process. I think it gets done this week.

I'm staying patient and signing Adam LaRoche. I have a hard time believing that someone would give him more then the 3 year offer we have on the table.

Didn't LaRoche do something similar last year with the Giants? Or was that another ballplayer? I know a FA really wound up with egg on their face, because they read the market wrong and turned down a team with a really good offer, only to accept a significantly lesser deal from another team late in the offseason.

LaRoche is trying to slow-play the field here, waiting for someone to blink. Lee is doing the same thing. I get the feeling that both want to use each other's contract as a basis for their own.

There is no "big" team out there vying for either of their services and the teams that are asking are the ones you are going to get.

Basically there is no real reason for Lee or LaRoche to hurry the process. I think it gets done this week.

These two sentences contradict each other. If there is no hurry for either of them, what reason would you think this gets done this week?

The only other team I could possibly see giving him a comparable offer is the Nats. The Nats may be waiting on Derrek Lee to give them an answer first. LaRoche probably prefers to remain in the NL if possible and is probably waiting to see if the Nats sign D. Lee (or is waiting to see what kind of money Lee gets). If the Nats sign Lee, LaRoche will end up in Baltimore IMO.

Didn't LaRoche do something similar last year with the Giants? Or was that another ballplayer? I know a FA really wound up with egg on their face, because they read the market wrong and turned down a team with a really good offer, only to accept a significantly lesser deal from another team late in the offseason.

He had a 2 year/14 million dollar offer on the table from the Giants. He turned that offer down and signed a 1 year/7 million dollar offer with the Diamondbacks. How much do you think that decision bit him in the ass?

Like I said, if he signs a 2-3 year deal at age 30, it's a big decision for him and his family. I think he is just making sure that he makes the right decision.

Archived