So, what is being built?

Stotle

How many others think we have improved 15-20 games this off-season?

The improvement will come in the form of the young players being better.

We could sign all the overpriced guys that you have actually heard of and if the young players don't perform, then we aren't going to improve.

Do you comprehend that obvious thought?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"this offseason" throws me. You don't play baseball in the offseason. But if you ask me, the Orioles will be 15-20 games better than last season.

A big reason why that phrase "this offseason" doesn't fly with me is because it assumes all our improvement comes from new acquisitions. Which in fact is less important for the o's to compete. Those existing young guys have simply have to improve.

That's my answer to your loaded question.

"this offseason" throws me. You don't play baseball in the offseason. But if you ask me, the Orioles will be 15-20 games better than last season.

A big reason why that phrase "this offseason" doesn't fly with me is because it assumes all our improvement comes from new acquisitions. Which in fact is less important for the o's to compete. Those existing young guys have simply have to improve.

That's my answer to your loaded question.

With the correct players, the amount the young players would have to improve would be reduced IMO.

By acquiring players that have premium production, it allows for lesser production from the rest of the core and still allows the team to compete.

With the talent acquired thus far and seemingly what is being targeted, it is now imperative that the young talent improve to carry the team instead of just be complementary to start their careers.

I'll hope and pray with the rest of you, but that doesn't seem to me like the best method to compete.

Most of the reasons that the O's can improve 15 or more game are already on the O's team. However, the off season is only about half over for the O's. They need to improve at 1B, the pen, the bench and add some AAA depth. If they do these things I will not limit them to a 15 or 20 game improvement.

If they leave a hole by not adding productive players in these areas then I think that will limit the team's improvement. The O's can't have a bullpen that falters. They can't have the kind of production they got out of 1B last year. There is no reason not have a couple of productive bats on the bench. There has to be minor league depth when injuries occur.

MacPhail is on a path to make the team a solid, improving team next year. If he finishes the job in the next three months the O's will be set up for a break through season. Buck will not stand for anything less from the talent that is on this team.

I think MacPhail will add the support players to the core that are needed to be added over the rest of the off season. But I think it is too early to put a improvement number on what will happen next year. MacPhail has to finish his off season tasks. But I am very encouraged by the path he is on.

The problem with this is that we aren't ready to contend, even if Fielder and Beltre were added.

AM has improved the team this offseason, there is no doubt about that. The team has a real chance to make a huge leap and win 15-20 more games than they did last year. Now, that's not contending but it does put you on the doorstep for 2012.

So improving 15-20 games, plus adding Fielder and Beltre adds up to what exactly? Not contending?

Bit of a contradiction wouldn't you say?

Because if we can get to 85 wins without Beltre and Fielder, they surely would turn us into "contenders" if added. Wouldn't they?

So which is it?

So improving 15-20 games, plus adding Fielder and Beltre adds up to what exactly? Not contending?

Because if we can get to 85 wins without Beltre and Fielder, they surely would turn us into "contenders" if added. Wouldn't they?

So which is it?

The difference between Reynolds and Beltre might not be that much. Maybe 1 W. The difference between say Lee and Fielder would not likely be more than 2 W's IMO. So those two instead, of Reynolds and Lee might be 3 W's. Not enough to contend.

Sports Guy ---Would you like to make a wager on your 15-20 game improvement statement ?

I bet we don't have a winning record. Let me know if your interested.

I would love to be wrong one of these years

I'd like to get on that action also. Right now I'm not sure that we have improved 5 games. Gaping holes at 1B, LF, and in the starting rotation. At least one, probably two of our young starters will be ineffective due to growing pains injury or both.

It just keeps coming back to scouting, acquisition, and development. It's what puts a small market team (or a mid market team being run as a small market team) in a position to either be able to effectively develop those prospects, or package them for a big ticket guy.

Sports Guy has been banging the drum for an influx of cash into the amateur market and an increased emphasis on highly touted international guys, and he's right.

When cash is more scarce than your competitors, you gather commodities instead of cash: cheap, young prospects. The draft in its current structure is not going to be nearly enough to find those prospects (especially if one does not play the compensation pick game). A shrewd GM has to go heavier into scouting and development. Gain the prospects, develop the ones you want, trade the ones you want, build a good major league product, replenish when necessary.

It's baffling that executing this plan has been very difficult for the O's for so long.

So which is it?

Great Question ... Hopefully SG will help us understand his comments

So which is it?

15-20 means we are in that 80-85 range.

To get Fielder, you are trading away guys currently on the team, which means you are taking away some of the wins he provides.

Beltre is a 3-5 win player.

With both of them, you have a chance at contention but still probably not.

Sports Guy ---Would you like to make a wager on your 15-20 game improvement statement ?

I bet we don't have a winning record. Let me know if your interested.

I would love to be wrong one of these years

Did you read my statement? I said this team has a REAL CHANCE to make that improvement and they do..You would have to be a total fool not to recognize that the chance of that happening exists. You can argue to what degree the possibility is but the chance is definitely there.

As to a wager...I may take you up on that, let me see how a few more things play out first.

It just keeps coming back to scouting, acquisition, and development. It's what puts a small market team (or a mid market team being run as a small market team) in a position to either be able to effectively develop those prospects, or package them for a big ticket guy.

Sports Guy has been banging the drum for an influx of cash into the amateur market and an increased emphasis on highly touted international guys, and he's right.

When cash is more scarce than your competitors, you gather commodities instead of cash: cheap, young prospects. The draft in its current structure is not going to be nearly enough to find those prospects (especially if one does not play the compensation pick game). A shrewd GM has to go heavier into scouting and development. Gain the prospects, develop the ones you want, trade the ones you want, build a good major league product, replenish when necessary.

It's baffling that executing this plan has been very difficult for the O's for so long.

I am gonna be the one to say this and its the first time I am going on record with saying this, but I'm afraid it has as much to do with Joe Jordan as it does with out draft budget. It seems he has swung pretty heavily toward the "value" picks which I don't think is working out. Its the reason 09 draft was a disaster. Yes, I want to see us spend more money, but who cares how much you have to spend if you choose the wrong ones to spend it on. We also need to ramp it up in the International scene which I am actually happier with that progress that our rule 4 progress which to me has actually taken a step back.

In all actuality, we aren't as far away as some would make it seem, but the players to push us over the top are not yet in the organization. If we draft one of those college arms up top this year and another good high ceiling college 2nd rounder with some improvement with the core and a good FA or 2, I think we are there.....

As to a wager...I may take you up on that, let me see how a few more things play out first.

I thought you were already saying we should be a 15-20 game improvement with our current additions and the players we already have on our roster?

Do you think we are going add a major free-agent or make a major trade for a 4-5 win share type player?

I thought you were already saying we should be a 15-20 game improvement with our current additions and the players we already have on our roster?
Let's try this again because for whatever reason, you ability to read is horrendous. I said the Orioles have a real chance to win 15-20 more games..As of right now, I am on the side that they will improve that much but want to make sure they take the steps needed to improve the pen and that there are no health issues.

I will say this..The only way I make the bet is if you agree to the following condition...That if I win, you can never come back and post on this site again..whether it be under this name or another.

Archived