So, what is being built?

Stotle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW Hello Harv, you are saying you expect the Orioles to win 71 games or less right now, correct?

You obviously didn't read what he wrote, he said "they won't have a winning record". That means 80 games or less, not 71. The way I look at it this is a high 70's win team, so he is on the mark there. (then again I have thought that for the last few years, and we see how that turned out)

And if we traded for Fielder, wouldn't we be giving up prospects in the deal not players currently on the team?

You obviously didn't read what he wrote, he said "they won't have a winning record". That means 80 games or less, not 71. The way I look at it this is a high 70's win team, so he is on the mark there. (then again I have thought that for the last few years, and we see how that turned out)

And if we traded for Fielder, wouldn't we be giving up prospects in the deal not players currently on the team?

The Orioles don't have enough decent prospects to do a prospects only trade. You would still have to give up an Arrieta or Tillman.

It would likely involve both players on the ML team and in the MiL. Otherwise we don't have the prospects to acquire Fielder in our MiL system.....

Yep...I thought HH said we hadn't improved 5 games..It was the other guy that is pretty much the same as him..webbrick. My mistake.

How many others think we have improved 15-20 games this off-season?

Maybe 15-20 runs, but absolutely no way we win 15-20 more games with Reynolds and Hardy. If we add Laroche or Lee, a DH, and another starter then maybe, but the 2 we've added are not gonna start lightning in a bottle, and the young starters we have are not gonna all produce. If we have 2 pitchers to have 12 wins, I'd be surprised.

Not neccassarily..Guys like Guthrie, Pie, Tillman, JJ, Reimold, BB and Arrieta could and would all be in play in some kind of deal for Fielder.

Maybe 15-20 runs, but absolutely no way we win 15-20 more games with Reynolds and Hardy. If we add Laroche or Lee, a DH, and another starter then maybe, but the 2 we've added are not gonna start lightning in a bottle, and the young starters we have are not gonna all produce. If we have 2 pitchers to have 12 wins, I'd be surprised.

Reynolds and Hardy might be worth 8 wins on the outside. That's assuming they rebound to be 3-win players, and the O's got -1 from both short and third last year.

But it's possible that the O's are 15-20 wins better than the 64 wins they got in 2010 because of internal improvements and those acquisitions.

Maybe the Brewers were kidding when they went all in for 2011 by acquiring Grienke. Maybe they just wanted to mess with his head, trading for him, getting his hopes up by getting out of KC, then nuking the team just for spite.

Ahhhh. I get it. Plus, now it isn't OBVIOUS they need to trade Fielder, so their asking price can go way up. Brilliant, Brew Crew....

Reynolds and Hardy might be worth 8 wins on the outside. That's assuming they rebound to be 3-win players, and the O's got -1 from both short and third last year.

But it's possible that the O's are 15-20 wins better than the 64 wins they got in 2010 because of internal improvements and those acquisitions.

As mentioned a few times, I don't think WAR necessarily converts to wins. I do believe that players' individual statistics don't necessarily capture their impact on the rest of the lineup. However, I agree with the central point here, i.e., it will take a lot more than just adding these two players for the team to improve by 15-20 games; it will require better performances by players already here. BTW, the O's won 66 last year, not 64.

Archived